• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading contest!

33 posts in this topic

BTW....I thought it......sukked. Hugely.

"House of 1000 Corpses" got a 16% rotten rating from RottenTomatoes. I notice "The Ring" got 72% and "28 Days Later" got 89%, so it looks like those two are definite candidates for horror film of the century.

It's distressing to me that a movie like "28 Days Later", a movie so blatantly a derivative of its "source material" (every "zombie" movie that ever came before it) is so widely adored.

As I was walking out of the new "Dawn of the Dead" (a wonderful remake), I actually heard people talking about how "stupid" it was because "it was a '28 Days Later' rip-off"!!!!!

frustrated.gif

And now you can read comics like "The Walking Dead" and "Remains" that borrow the from the VERY few original elements from "28 Days Later" as well as the OTHER material that "28" stole from Romero's work, and people don't even recognize that it's completely unoriginal!

It's cinematic cannibalism... which is more than a little ironic, I guess.

Excellent movie. Really looking forward to The Devil's Rejects. Rob said he is done with horror movies after this one. He wants to do other stuff.

What'd you like about "House of 1000 Corpses"? I haven't seen it yet.

Did you see "The Ring"? That's the best horror film I've seen this century. I kinda like "21 Days Later" also, but "The Ring" gave me a more distinct sense of terror/suspense as opposed to morbid horror like "21 Days Later" did.

I liked The Ring until I sat there realizing that the Ghost was using the phone system for communicating that they had "Seven Days". The tape's imagery was disturbing, to say the least.

What do you know? You're old n stuff.

makepoint.gifpoke2.gif

Take your pick....

- So was every idea in that 893censored-thumb.gif movie.

- So is Karen Black.

- Rob Zombie ain't getting any younger either.

"House of 1000 Corpses" got a 16% rotten rating from RottenTomatoes. I notice "The Ring" got 72% and "28 Days Later" got 89%, so it looks like those two are definite candidates for horror film of the century.

I personally liked the CONCEPT of 28 Days Later better than in how it was executed. The -script just goes nowhere quickly, and ends just as abruptly as it started. My "Resident Evil" games have more plot than this movie, though.

In terms of 1,000 Corpses, I give it a nod due to some of the weirdest, nastiest images I've seen in a while. The story, of course, is retarded. Best actor was a toss-up between the mechanical clown outside of the Chicken/Gas store and the clown owner tending it foreheadslap.gif

Excellent movie. Really looking forward to The Devil's Rejects. Rob said he is done with horror movies after this one. He wants to do other stuff.

What'd you like about "House of 1000 Corpses"? I haven't seen it yet.

Did you see "The Ring"? That's the best horror film I've seen this century. I kinda like "21 Days Later" also, but "The Ring" gave me a more distinct sense of terror/suspense as opposed to morbid horror like "21 Days Later" did.

I liked The Ring until I sat there realizing that the Ghost was using the phone system for communicating that they had "Seven Days". The tape's imagery was disturbing, to say the least.

I'm reading Spiral, right now.....the sequel to Ring. Pacing is very methodical, but it has atmosphere.

It's distressing to me that a movie like "28 Days Later", a movie so blatantly a derivative of its "source material" (every "zombie" movie that ever came before it) is so widely adored.

Which films did you think "28 Days Later" was derivative of? I wouldn't compare it to EVERY zombie film which preceeded it, but it was similar to at least one other one I can think of--"The Stand" by Stephen King, which was also about a post-virus world, although it was rather drastically different because people died of the virus, they weren't driven insane.

I can't remember ANY film that was quite like "28 Days" myself, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one I haven't seen or have forgotten about. confused-smiley-013.gif Most zombie films make no credible attempt to place the zombie-ism into a realistic context, but since the "28 Days" zombies weren't the undead and instead were just normal people driven insane, it seems more unique to me than you're suggesting.

In terms of 1,000 Corpses, I give it a nod due to some of the weirdest, nastiest images I've seen in a while. The story, of course, is retarded. Best actor was a toss-up between the mechanical clown outside of the Chicken/Gas store and the clown owner tending it foreheadslap.gif

DING DING DING! We have a winnah!

This is EXACTLY why I liked it.

I'm a Troma fan, and this is just what Dr. Satan ordered. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Anyone ever seen "Redneck Zombies"?

IMO, one of the greatest zombie movies ever! hail.gif

In terms of 1,000 Corpses, I give it a nod due to some of the weirdest, nastiest images I've seen in a while.

That could be enough for me to check it out. My favorite music video of all time is the one for "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails. That song is nice, but the video has some of the weirdest and emotionally jarring--yet COMPELLING--images I've ever seen.

I'll have to check "1000 Corpses" out...

Which films did you think "28 Days Later" was derivative of? I wouldn't compare it to EVERY zombie film which preceeded it, but it was similar to at least one other one I can think of--"The Stand" by Stephen King, which was also about a post-virus world, although it was rather drastically different because people died of the virus, they weren't driven insane.

Other earlier works (books) that were similar in theme, if not details, include Day of the Triffids (of which there was a not-so-good movie ) and No Blade of Grass (no movie to the best of my knowledge).

Substitute Zombies for Triffids and you've got yourself a movie very like 28 Days...

Other earlier works (books) that were similar in theme, if not details, include Day of the Triffids (of which there was a not-so-good movie ) and No Blade of Grass (no movie to the best of my knowledge).

Substitute Zombies for Triffids and you've got yourself a movie very like 28 Days...

wow - i was gonna write almost the exact same thing. thumbsup2.gif

for me the similarity was primarily in the beginning with the oft-used post apocalyptical scene with the hero/heroine waking up to find everyone has disappeared. coulda been better - but i liked it........ acclaim.gif

There is also a third film....The Quiet Earth, that starts out like that. It's an Australian film. 1985. Post-Triffids, Pre-28.

Plot: Scientist Zac Hobson wakes up one morning to find himself completely alone. As he searches it becomes increasingly apparent that he is the only man left alive in the world. Everybody else has just vanished, even in the midst of activity - jugs left boiling, vehicles still running, a plane crashed with all the seatbelts still done up. Investigating he finds the activation of Operation Flashlight, a project he was working on to set up a worldwide energy grid, has caused a fundamental change in the basic structure of matter. Wandering alone, his sanity travels between euphoria and despair at his isolation. But then he meets another survivor - a girl, Joanne - and they become lovers. That is until the appearance of a third survivor, Api, an aggressive Maori, which creates a triangle of tensions.