• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

OK . After looking on eBay I see multiple 9.9's and 10's coming from the other grading company. It seems cgc is being much more strict. Which i guess is the norm. What I don't understand is that for the majority of these 3D books, the covers are absolutely flawless. For example, the corners are absolutely square 90 degree angles and the edges are absolutely straight. When I first looked close I was thinking that if there were any book that would be likely to grade a 9.9 or even 10, it would be these books. I honestly cant believe that these are not grading higher than 9.8's. If these books cant grade higher than 9.8, what books can?!!! rantrant

There is SO much more to grading on these than the corners/edges and spine.

Of the hundreds I have had once you tilt them in the light just right you can see all kinds of scruff marks that happened in the manufacturing process or from handling.

Out of a couple hundred books I have had I have gotten 7 graded so far, 3 were 9.9s and 4 were 9.8.

I am personally glad that CGC isnt handing out 10s like candy on this one.

Considering how many 9.9 and 10.0s I've seen so far, it may not quite be candy, but it's definitely higher than usual

OK . After looking on eBay I see multiple 9.9's and 10's coming from the other grading company. It seems cgc is being much more strict. Which i guess is the norm. What I don't understand is that for the majority of these 3D books, the covers are absolutely flawless. For example, the corners are absolutely square 90 degree angles and the edges are absolutely straight. When I first looked close I was thinking that if there were any book that would be likely to grade a 9.9 or even 10, it would be these books. I honestly cant believe that these are not grading higher than 9.8's. If these books cant grade higher than 9.8, what books can?!!! rantrant

Of the hundreds I have had once you tilt them in the light just right you can see all kinds of scruff marks that happened in the manufacturing process or from handling.

Out of a couple hundred books I have had I have gotten 7 graded so far, 3 were 9.9s and 4 were 9.8.

Considering how many 9.9 and 10.0s I've seen so far, it may not quite be candy, but it's definitely higher than usual

I think they are grading on a curve.

are you kidding me? that's only thing you look when grading. the covers are not flawless, got to look closer.

As noted above, scratches and scuffs are the main barrier to the 9.9+ range.

I think they are grading on a curve.

That doesn't happen.

id like to agree but after the first 9.9 from the 3d covers, i cant.

id like to agree but after the first 9.9 from the 3d covers, i cant.

Why? Was it scuffed?

are you kidding me? that's only thing you look when grading. the covers are not flawless, got to look closer.

I wouldn't be posting here if that was the only things i looked for when grading, but I do notice that with the majority of modern books, the corners are where the majority of defects occur along with spine creases. These 3D covers take the stubbed corners out of the equation.

Was just in Midtown Comics (Grand Central branch) and they have at least a dozen different 3d issues still on the shelves for cover price, and several more at $5-6 per.

Yeah my LCS still have multiple issues for cover, as well as many for 4.99. Even some "rare" ones. I'm still contemplating on grading my j's daughter and harley quinns

I wouldnt even rule out corner dings on these issues. I've seen plenty with crunched corners.

A few of mine have corner dings or crunched corners. Including JD and HQ. :pullhair: Mainly due to the way the lcs handles pull lists. I think my subs take more abuse that the books on the shelves.

guess you haven't checked some of mine or other board members auctions?

Seriously.

There was like 5 pages on this alone.

I wouldn't be posting here if that was the only things i looked for when grading, but I do notice that with the majority of modern books, the corners are where the majority of defects occur along with spine creases. These 3D covers take the stubbed corners out of the equation.

...but add another element that can possibly be defective (i.e. the susceptibility to being scratched and scuffed).

I wouldnt even rule out corner dings on these issues. I've seen plenty with crunched corners.

A few of mine have corner dings or crunched corners. Including JD and HQ. :pullhair: Mainly due to the way the lcs handles pull lists. I think my subs take more abuse that the books on the shelves.

This is how strong these books are. I got a shipment of them damaged. Corners got hit pretty hard on about like a set of 10 I got a few weeks ago. By all rights all the comics should have been damaged, but some of them pierced the bags they were shipped and avoided the corner damage because they are such sturdy books compared to a normal comic.

This is how strong these books are. I got a shipment of them damaged. Corners got hit pretty hard on about like a set of 10 I got a few weeks ago. By all rights all the comics should have been damaged, but some of them pierced the bags they were shipped and avoided the corner damage because they are such sturdy books compared to a normal comic.

Nice example.