• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

I noticed that all the Green Arrow staples were damaged bending the cover at my LCS. I don't know if it was handling because the rest of the titles were fine. They had them in two different locations, so it couldn't have been customer damage either.

This week and the whole DC Villain month will be a good indication of which shops are looking for long term customers vs short term profits. The prospect of not being able to get hot comics at cover price might entice more customers to become subscribers.

Hearing about how retailers are charging more than cover for these new comics makes me remember Atomic Comics in AZ. That store lost my patronage due to this. Not surprisingly, they are out of business and a small part of me hopes I helped contribute to their demise when I quit shopping at their store for this practice.

It looks like the allocations is going to turn out to be a hidden blessing for DC. I doubt these comics would be garnering this much attention if the comics were plentiful and weren't proceeded by the allocation news. It just goes to show you any news is good news!

Yeah, the gun and the fake set of teeth are in different hands on the standard cover as opposed to the 3D cover for Batman 23.1. Only thing is the retailers I know who have standard covers had about 100 of them. They were not allocated and they are plentiful. It was wise of DC to make them different though.

Reporting from the Baltimore Con on Saturday....

You could tell dealers just had no idea from table to table what to charge for these. Generally, they were at least $6-8 each. Some dealers differentiated between them, charging more for the Poison Ivy and Ventriloquist, between $10-15. If you were patient, you could probably find the issue(s) you wanted at $6-8.

Relic appeared to be the least common on the floor, only seeing it with a handful of dealers. Cyborg Superman seemed the most plentiful, or maybe the least in-demand? Scarcity per issue definitely seemed to be a store-by-store thing, some scarce on one issue yet plentiful on another, and then vice versa for the dealer next to them.

The 3-D Forever Evil 1 was priced at an average of $200 or so. I was able to pick one up for $125, and submitted it to CGC along with Poison Ivy, Ventriloquist, Joker and Bizarro. :wishluck:

I think almost all the first week books are going to show up harder to get in the end. This is just the 1st week of this with many weeks to go.

Lower sales books should be the ones tough to find except your popular ones like Harley which has broad support. What will be a tough combination is a popular villain on a low selling book. Find one of those and you got a hit. Poison Ivy will be another one that will garner popularity as the weeks go by as well I think. Lot of Ivy collectors just like Harley.

Because of the stiff covers, these should be plentiful in high grade, 9.9 and 10.0. A 9.8 should bring what a 9.6 normally does, and the 9.9 and 10.0's what a 9.8 usually does. In this case, this will be a book to buy already graded, in about 4 months.