• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

After the experience last week at my LCS, I decided to go to one by my work this morning. They are supposed to open at 11am, got there at 10:45 and they're open. Go in and grab 7 different of the 3D cover still in stock. Apparently they opened at 9am for the buying frenzy. Well, happy I got at least 7 of them and one non-3D of JD (which the shop owner and employee where saying how bad this issue is). Think they were saying they might open early for the 13 cover Walking Dead release in 2 weeks.

Decided to order a set of the 2nd prints seeing as they are only sold in sets so that means they should be pretty scarce comparatively. Anyone else think so?

Second prints should be scarcer, but also the craze will have died down by the time they are released. I say if it's for your collection, go for it! If it's speculation and for re-sell purposes... hm

You know Marvel will have to bring out their 3D lenticular covers as soon as possible to jump on the wave.

I talked to a DC VP about this whole dealio, and he told me diamond did the allocations to their accounts, not them (DC)...

when I spoke to Diamond VP, he told me the joker's daughter's orders were double what the other 3 Batman DK titles were, and that resulted in the lower allocation, but that they still tried to keep with 3 month average...

who knows, maybe less of that title (for whatever reason) was released/printed... maybe dc underestimated demand (strange, but maybe, given it is not an established villain )

a gaming store in town that sells some comics ordered 10 copies and got 9, so he got a 90% allocation, but he always orders 10 copies... I normally order 150, so my extra 40% was obviously cut off, and allocated based on my "avg"

So who is the Jokers Daughter?

I read it and i'm still not real sure....I guess it's possible she has a link to the Joker....maybe she was adopted. Right now they're making it seem like she was raised by parents other than the Joker.

Not sure what kind of facial surgery is done when the person is wide awake and told to hold still.

I find it kindah funny how some folks are outraged that shops are pulling the hot ones off the rack and selling them for $20-$40 a pop.

So long as they are not sc*r*wing over a file cusomer who pre-ordered and shorting them (which would be a grievous sin), i see nothing wrong with that. they have no obligation to put a $40 book out on the rack at $3.99 so someone can rush in and buy up all the copies and make 10X the money. Am I happy if they don't and I can cash in? Sure. I just don't expect it.

is it bad business? i don't even think so. so long as they have a bunch of the 3D covers out there that might be getting $6-$10 on ebay at cover price I don't think anyone is going to hate them too much. my main shop had JD at $40 (and sold all their copies in a minute), but Bane 1, Doomsday, Riddler and some others at $3.99. A few of the 3Ds were at $6-$10.

That sounds like my LCS. My LCS got all the 3D's for me at cover this including the JD which I had preordered weeks ago. They said I could sell it to other for $40. They didn't upsell me or other long time customers who pre-ordered. September was one of the best months for them in 10 years so they were excited. I should have checked if there was a JD 2D available, but I was hunting for some other comics. Another $100 week. This has been a great hunt and the four I had to get online were fair dealers.

Gotta start asking yourself where did they all go then? If 40 k were printed or more and midtown shops only had 20-30 something doesn't add up here.

why are you assuming there were 40k printed?

Isn't it based on previous title printed? And since its Batman they print 100,000 + of those ever month I assumed less than half of that, does anything think it was lower than 40 k printed on JD 3d?

Batman the Dark Knight has averaged 47K print run last 3 months (approx.)...

The 3D covers weren't always printed based on the same title they were sold under.

Meaning not every Justice League issue that came out this month .1, .2, .3, and .4 had similar prints run to the regular monthly Justice League title. Justice League always has over 100k printed on a monthly business. There is no way with the prices people are getting for copies of Lobo and Dial E that there were anywhere close to that many printed.

The significant difference in prices some of these books are commanding on the secondary market cannot be solely attributed to the popularity of the character. Some of the most popular villains are getting no love on the secondary market, while some of the most obscure ones are among the most sought after.

Yes you have an additional demand from people that are collecting books outside their typical monthly pickups, because they want a whole set or a few additional titles due to the character or cover art, but that alone would not lead to the prices you are seeing for those titles. Plus this demand is likely offset by a subset of monthly readers that do not care about the 3D covers and are happy with buying the cheaper 2D copies of their books. Therefore the supply has to be contributing to the equation.

The Joker's Daughter print run, while sold under the title of The Dark Knight, is likely substantially lower than the typical monthly print run for The Dark Knight. Since the character is currently involved with the Catwoman title, DC probably printed a total number that is closer to Catwoman's average monthly print total, since those are the readers they were primarily targeting, which is around 26k.

I read an article earlier, somewhere, explaining that a single store had 40 preorders for Dial E. That was a problem for the store because they typically only had 10 preorders on any given month for Dial H. But since that book was sold under the Justice League title, it attracted buyers that don't buy Dial H, but bought that book because it was sold as a Justice League book.

So at CGC...

Week 1 3Ds & 2Ds - Graded, in Quality Control (Encapsulation) Hell (96 books)

Week 2 3Ds & 2Ds - Graded, looks like all passed 9.8 Pre-screen (88 books)

Week 3 3Ds & 2Ds - Verified (91 books)

Week 4 3Ds & 2Ds - On their way to CGC, should be "Received" tomorrow. (101 books)

I'm trying to figure out what I should do with my extra 3Ds. Sell as weekly sets or break them up and sell them individually?

(shrug)

Gotta start asking yourself where did they all go then? If 40 k were printed or more and midtown shops only had 20-30 something doesn't add up here.

why are you assuming there were 40k printed?

Isn't it based on previous title printed? And since its Batman they print 100,000 + of those ever month I assumed less than half of that, does anything think it was lower than 40 k printed on JD 3d?

Batman the Dark Knight has averaged 47K print run last 3 months (approx.)...

The 3D covers weren't always printed based on the same title they were sold under.

Meaning not every Justice League issue that came out this month .1, .2, .3, and .4 had similar prints run to the regular monthly Justice League title. Justice League always has over 100k printed on a monthly business. There is no way with the prices people are getting for copies of Lobo and Dial E that there were anywhere close to that many printed.

The significant difference in prices some of these books are commanding on the secondary market cannot be solely attributed to the popularity of the character. Some of the most popular villains are getting no love on the secondary market, while some of the most obscure ones are among the most sought after.

Yes you have an additional demand from people that are collecting books outside their typical monthly pickups, because they want a whole set or a few additional titles due to the character or cover art, but that alone would not lead to the prices you are seeing for those titles. Plus this demand is likely offset by a subset of monthly readers that do not care about the 3D covers and are happy with buying the cheaper 2D copies of their books. Therefore the supply has to be contributing to the equation.

The Joker's Daughter print run, while sold under the title of The Dark Knight, is likely substantially lower than the typical monthly print run for The Dark Knight. Since the character is currently involved with the Catwoman title, DC probably printed a total number that is closer to Catwoman's average monthly print total, since those are the readers they were primarily targeting, which is around 26k.

I read an article earlier, somewhere, explaining that a single store had 40 preorders for Dial E. That was a problem for the store because they typically only had 10 preorders on any given month for Dial H. But since that book was sold under the Justice League title, it attracted buyers that don't buy Dial H, but bought that book because it was sold as a Justice League book.

Thanks for the explanation but all this DC / Diamond 3d event is giving me a headache, I need to lay down. :ohnoez:

My impression of the week #4 3Ds

Metallo 23.4- I really like the issue having not seen the villain before. Art is good and story flows.

Ocean Master 23.2- I never like Aquaman, but Geoff John's story makes me want to read it now. This is another good issue with stunning art.

Manbat 23.4 - Good story with a lot of action. I want to see more of his Nemesis Francine. The bat reminds of werewolves, but the story makes up for it.

Parasite 23.4- The cover makes me go blind. Very hypnotic. Good origin issue w snarky humour. I am going have to figure out where he appears.

First Born 23.2 - Odd villain w art reminding of Brubaker's Fatale. Doesn't fit and I am not sure I got how he gets to present day.

Black Adam 7.4 - Middle East setting. Geoff John's teases us w BA's to the other villain. I like this villain.

Secret Society 23.4 - Owlman and Joker. A must for the Forever Evil readers. "What did you do w Alfred?"

Sinestro 23.4 - I never like the villain, but this goes deep in the history and makes it better. Still not convince to read GL series though.

Doomsday 3.1 - I like the Hulk like cover. Zod makes a cameo. I just am not a fan of Krypton stories.

Killer Croc 23.4 - Hokey Villain with sewer origin. I didn't like the story.

Bane 23.4 - I was expecting the Dark Knight origin. It kinda starts with no Batman and Bane planning to conquer Gotham. Little girl watches a man die and no reaction?

Joker's Daughter 23.4 - Her boobs stick out in the 3D. The queen of the sewer people ala Miller's Daredevil? Yeah right. Really nothing to do with the Joker. Pretty Disappointing. And I didn't laugh.

My impression of the week #4 3Ds

Metallo 23.4- I really like the issue having not seen the villain before. Art is good and story flows.

Ocean Master 23.2- I never like Aquaman, but Geoff John's story makes me want to read it now. This is another good issue with stunning art.

Manbat 23.4 - Good story with a lot of action. I want to see more of his Nemesis Francine. The bat reminds of werewolves, but the story makes up for it.

Parasite 23.4- The cover makes me go blind. Very hypnotic. Good origin issue w snarky humour. I am going have to figure out where he appears.

First Born 23.2 - Odd villain w art reminding of Brubaker's Fatale. Doesn't fit and I am not sure I got how he gets to present day.

Black Adam 7.4 - Middle East setting. Geoff John's teases us w BA's to the other villain. I like this villain.

Secret Society 23.4 - Owlman and Joker. A must for the Forever Evil readers. "What did you do w Alfred?"

Sinestro 23.4 - I never like the villain, but this goes deep in the history and makes it better. Still not convince to read GL series though.

Doomsday 3.1 - I like the Hulk like cover. Zod makes a cameo. I just am not a fan of Krypton stories.

Killer Croc 23.4 - Hokey Villain with sewer origin. I didn't like the story.

Bane 23.4 - I was expecting the Dark Knight origin. It kinda starts with no Batman and Bane planning to conquer Gotham. Little girl watches a man die and no reaction?

Joker's Daughter 23.4 - Her boobs stick out in the 3D. The queen of the sewer people ala Miller's Daredevil? Yeah right. Really nothing to do with the Joker. Pretty Disappointing. And I didn't laugh.

Not counting Forever Evil do you know how many 3D Villian covers there are total. I think I have 52 different covers (cost a small fortune) but I know one of them is not Parasite.

So at CGC...

Week 4 3Ds & 2Ds - On their way to CGC, should be "Received" tomorrow. (101 books)

I'm trying to figure out what I should do with my extra 3Ds. Sell as weekly sets or break them up and sell them individually?

(shrug)

individually would probably get more money in theory, but weekly sets might take the cake for 3d covers. it seems most want to complete sets, id go sets for this.

some of the week 1s should be shipped tomorrow, and friday. week 2 just made it into qc so maybe shipped next week. i just sent in week 3 and 4 today 62 books

So at CGC...

(shrug)

individually would probably get more money in theory, but weekly sets might take the cake for 3d covers. it seems most want to complete sets, id go sets for this.

some of the week 1s should be shipped tomorrow, and friday. week 2 just made it into qc so maybe shipped next week. i just sent in week 3 and 4 today 62 books

Just wondering on those prescreen submissions, If you send in 60 you are actually creating 2 invoices, but for 62 books you are creating 3 invoices. Maybe stopping at 60 is wise.

Not counting Forever Evil do you know how many 3D Villian covers there are total. I think I have 52 different covers (cost a small fortune) but I know one of them is not Parasite.

There should be 52 Villain covers. Forever Evil 3d is #53 and Unchained SDCC 3D might be #54 to some. I don't it toward my hunt since it features a DC hero.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-Unchained-1-3D-Lenticular-RRP-Variant-CGC-9-8-5x-SS-/161109737029?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2582e37e45