• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man saves the day, pays for local woman's wedding.

38 posts in this topic

Wait - $7000 only covers part of the catering bill??

If they have a wedding big enough that $7K won't cover the entire catering job, it doesn't sound like they needed to sell anything to begin with.

To me, this story stinks.

-slym

lol +1 I thought the same exact thing. 7k woul pay for my wedding, reception, honeymoon, and first months rent

If they have a wedding big enough that $7K won't cover the entire catering job, it doesn't sound like they needed to sell anything to begin with.

-slym

Catering can easily cost $30 or $40 per person for a modern meal. When you pay for anything wedding related the price is inflated. Come to think of it I think our catering bill was at least $30 per plate 20 years ago so I'm probably way, way low.

Mashed potatos ain't cheap :preach:

Our dinner was $80.00 a plate, nothing fancy. But open bar ran the entire reception.

-slym

Where did you get married Slym - Roadkill Receptions? lol

A half-decent reception will cost at leat $20k.

I am quite sure some peeps on here have the incomes to shell out that 7k on a pre-reception drink (singular) for each guest.

I got married nearly 30 years ago (still married to same lovely woman) and it cost more back then!

The last wedding I attended, 7K would have barely covered the transportation budget- antique Rolls for the bride and groom, limos for both parents and families, van for the bridesmaids, another for the groomsmen and ushers, and a party bus for taking the guests to and from the reception.

A typical NY wedding will run well over 25K, and if you want to get exotic and rent out Oheka castle, you can blow $100K.

Big waste of money, in my opinion, but these days my neighbors are throwing $25,000 Quincerias and Sweet sixteens.

Insanity, but one must keep up with the Jones.

I think we spent 7k-8k total on our wedding in 2010. We had deli trays and hoagies...I bought thirty bottles of wine and like ten cases of beer. Two bartenders that are friends worked the bar for tips (and trust me I gave them a healthy one). Of course our wedding was also in the same place we had the reception. Had a DJ and a photo booth. Have been told numerous times it was the most fun wedding people had ever been to.

Where did you get married Slym - Roadkill Receptions? lol

lollollollolmeh

-slym

I think people who go into debt or spend all of their savings (or their parents) for a wedding are ignorant.

I knew a captain in the U.S. Army that put the bulk of his wedding expenses on a credit card. He did it to impress his new family, and show them he didn't want them dealing with the burden of paying for it all.

His interest rate charges month-over-month were beyond ridiculous (1991-1992 period where the average charge was 14%-18% or higher). I think at one point he was paying $2,000 (+)/month, and never seemed to get ahead.

The last wedding I attended, 7K would have barely covered the transportation budget- antique Rolls for the bride and groom, limos for both parents and families, van for the bridesmaids, another for the groomsmen and ushers, and a party bus for taking the guests to and from the reception.

A typical NY wedding will run well over 25K, and if you want to get exotic and rent out Oheka castle, you can blow $100K.

Big waste of money, in my opinion, but these days my neighbors are throwing $25,000 Quincerias and Sweet sixteens.

Insanity, but one must keep up with the Jones.

We only had One limo.

We had no ushers and no bridesmaids.

Just best man, Maid of Honour and flower-girl and ring-boy.

No need for extra limos or gifts

-slym

lol +1 I thought the same exact thing. 7k woul pay for my wedding, reception, honeymoon, and first months rent

+2

I'm not sure what the feel good part of the story is. That this pinhead got worked by his daughter for a $7k wedding bill? That his 33 year old daughter isn't responsible enough to pay for her own wedding?

When I got married at 32 years old, I would have been shamefully embarassed to ask my parents for money for a wedding, which is why we paid for it ourselves. That's a little old to be asking for thousands of dollars in handouts. But hey, some people don't mind asking, I guess.

My wedding reception was $2000 for the food & alcohol for about 50 people.

The venue itself for the ceremony and reception cost me nothing because of some connections, and likely saved me quite a bit.

I think people tend to go crazy on wedding expenses, when you can really cut the costs with a little creativity and DIY.

Luckily I don't live in Manhattan.

-slym

+2

I'm not sure what the feel good part of the story is. That this pinhead got worked by his daughter for a $7k wedding bill? That his 33 year old daughter isn't responsible enough to pay for her own wedding?

When I got married at 32 years old, I would have been shamefully embarassed to ask my parents for money for a wedding, which is why we paid for it ourselves. That's a little old to be asking for thousands of dollars in handouts. But hey, some people don't mind asking, I guess.

I don't have a daughter, but if I did I'd pay for her wedding at whatever age. Knowing it was my obligation to pay for it, I'd have started setting money aside many years before, just like a college fund.

Perhaps it is different with different ethnic groups but in my circles, the brides family pays for the wedding, if they can.

My father and mother gave my older sister a great wedding and when my younger sister was married, my God-father and I helped my mother give her an equally nice one.

I guess some people are raised that your obligation to your children ends at a certain age, and others aren't. One of my best friends often says that at 20, you are your childrens parent, but by thirty you should be your childs friend. That is not how I was taught.

I think our @ the beach wedding cost between $5-7k total. Only had immediate family and a few close friends, didn't do a limo but we had a bag piper and minister at the shore, then the restaurant where we had the reception was a great spread, open bar, a yumm-o cake. Got lucky to have a nice sunny day and really lucky with the restaurant as the following year they ended up moving to a location much further away rather than a couple blocks from the beach. I can't imagine why people would spend some of the big figures I see/hear. Guess when it's ($$) flowing like water, it doesn't matter, but even if I had the cash, I'd use it differently.

Ah yes Slym, being a nerd and collecting comic books is no longer a bad thing. You would be surprised how many women have no problems with it and actually think it is kind of cool. If nothing else it gives the appearance you are "not like other guys." Use it to your advantage :)