• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got a new question at the post office this morning...

44 posts in this topic

When I dropped off packages at the PO this morning the employee taking them asked me "is this package packed well enough to withstand up to 70 pounds of weight on top of it?" Sounds like something to allow them to absolve themselves of damage in transit.

Never got that one before, but it might be the latest thing they add to their little speech about liquids, hazardous, perishable, etc. that they're required to ask now.

Anyone else get this recently?

No, but judging of the conditions my boxes have been arriving in - that's a valid question. Box shipping is more dangerous than ever right now. Every box I have gotten for the past two months has been badly damaged - luckily with no book damage.

Much like airline flights, they are probably trying to jam more and more passengers onto fewer vehicles and trips. I bet the tighter packing also comes with, on top of the additional weight, situations where things get wedged in and pried out. Just my suspicion of course.

/tinfoil hat

70 lbs is the weight limit for USPS. Same for most of the other carriers although they have overweight exceptions.

Everyone should assume that their boxes bounce around other 70 lb packages over belts, down chutes, into bins, etc. all the time. If your packaging won't hold up to that, don't send it and don't expect insurance to pay out when it is crushed by another box.

70 pounds on the edge of the box is different than having 70 pounds dropped into the middle of the box.

Guess it is time to make steel re-bar reinforcements for all boxes. Sorry about the extra weight any buyer will have to pay for.

-slym

More and more, I find myself using the Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelopes. I stuff it with enough newsprint and cardboard to make it an unbending brick. The envelopes don't go through the same process as boxes. They get put into a separate bin instead. It would take a purposeful effort to damage it. Say, like wedging it on it's side between the ground and tire of the mailtruck.... and then driving over it. If the USPS starts doing that, I'm out of ideas for shipping safely.

How are you meant to respond to that? What did you say?

I said that it was, because I knew my boxes were packed securely. If you actually fill a box tightly with bubble wrap or peanuts that will help bolster the structural integrity of the box you use. While nothing is totally damage-proof (as the USPS strives to demonstrate daily) I did what I could do.

My packages were all marked "Fragile", and as far as the USPS is concerned your packages need to be packed adequately to protect the contents. This is reasonable. I've been told in the past that in order for insurance to pay out on a fragile item that there needs to be a minimum of 2 full inches of padding on EVERY side of your fragile item. If you don't do this they won't pay the insurance claim for damage.

More and more, I find myself using the Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelopes. I stuff it with enough newsprint and cardboard to make it an unbending brick. The envelopes don't go through the same process as boxes. They get put into a separate bin instead. It would take a purposeful effort to damage it. Say, like wedging it on it's side between the ground and tire of the mailtruck.... and then driving over it. If the USPS starts doing that, I'm out of ideas for shipping safely.

+1

I am way more apt to send something in an envelope than a box - unless it's requested. I can make an envelope unbendable, but I can't make a box uncrushable unless I use $9 worth of Foamcore.

Marking something fragile is only encouragement in my opinion. Pack so it doesnt get damaged fragile means nothing to them.

My brother worked for UPS when he was in college. He told me boxes marked "fragile" were kicked harder than the other boxes.

Was that 70lbs of static load or dynamic? Big difference in the energy absorbed.

I'm beginning to lean more in favor of light but rigid envelopes for raws. Slabs, however, require that extra cushioning. I do like the box within an envelope method if it fits as that may save it from getting raped among the general box population heavyweights.

I agree the Priority Envelopes get better treatment but to me they are only good for a few raw comics that are valued at $100 or less. I mean I would not risk a valuable NearMint beauty in an envelope because the corner could get bashed!

For slabs and valuable raw comics, I go with double-box Priority. A 1092 inside a 1095. Can usually keep it under 2 pounds

Was that 70lbs of static load or dynamic? Big difference in the energy absorbed.

nerd...

:D

lol

Valid question. I'd bet it's static, meaning actual impact forces would be much higher.

Next question to ask, elastic or inelastic collision.