• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How important are Variant Covers to you?

70 posts in this topic

Okay, as I stated on here in other threads, I was out of comic collecting for a few years due to some financial changes. Now, in the last couple of years things are lots better so I've been working on collecting books I've missed. Particularly, ASM. The last books I had were aound 543 or so. Yeah, its been a while. So now I'm all caught up to #700 and beyond to Superior Spider-man. What I have noticed was the growing number of variant covers, especially over the last couple of years. 1:10, 1:25, 1:50, 1:75, 1;100. Its getting kind of crazy like the 90's were. So I caught myself chasing the dragon, trying to get all of these variants and I had to put a break on it. It was just too much.

Collecting comics used to be about just getting the book. Like finishing my ASM run, I just wanted a good copy of the book. It felt good. It was what collecting was like when I started and especially when I was a kid.

So the question to you, my fellow comic collectors, how important are variant covers to you? Not, just the latest craze of covers, but also, say, Newstand verses Direct comics? Are you just happy to get a copy of a book or are you chasing the variant cover dragon?

Unfortunately I have to have them all.

...and I have the misfortune of collecting Spawn.

At least you don't collect Zenescope titles where every issue has to have at least 1 variant, but usually more during con season. :eek:

Apparently you don't keep up with Spawn. lol

The only variants I chased were in the Amazing Spider-Man run.I have a complete run from AF 15,ASM #1-current.

Wow!!! I used to care about the variants, but it is becoming too expensive to buy them, so for now I am staying away from. Comic collecting in general is becoming a very expensive hobby.

Variant covers mean nothing at all to me. I see them as being less desirable; there's only one "real" version of each comic book. The rest are distractions.

I did, however, buy the MAD Magazine variant of Flash with Alfred E. Newman flashing. 'Cause that was awesome.

The only variants I chased were in the Amazing Spider-Man run.I have a complete run from AF 15,ASM #1-current.

Does that include con exclusives? Do you have that MJ/Venom variant? All that stuff?

Why yes young lad. (thumbs u

Variants are completely off my radar as far as purchasing and collecting. In fact, I'm less likely to buy a comic that has a lot of variants. Not because I hate being "forced" to buy every cover, I have no desire to do that. But because in my experience nine times out of ten if a comic has a variant every issue, every other issue, or with any regularity, it's actually not that great for reading.

I am perfectly fine with one regular/standard cover first print copy of every Amazing Spider-man book ever published. If I get a variant after that then that is awesome. Marvel made it a fool's errand to chase then all.

I think the straw that broke the camel's back in trying to collect all ASM variants was when they offered individually drawn covers if you are ordered enough. You got a ticket or something and would have your likeness drawn on the Spider-Island cover.

At that point, at least for me, it went too far. I kept the one's I liked and sold off the rest. I can still say I have a complete set.