• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How important are Variant Covers to you?

70 posts in this topic

I was a completist if I really liked a series or a publisher's product. Variants are a deterrent from buying and their existence makes me not want to collect a series at all. I'm not interested in owning the most common version of a comic and I'm not going to collect multiples of the same comics at escalated prices. When they were released for special occasions in moderation I didn't care. Publisher can go without my money if they think variants are needed every month. There are plenty of expensive comics I can save up my money to buy or I can buy true rarities which I am proud to own.

DG

No real interest in variants, if there is more than one regular cover, I just buy the one I like best. If I was going to pick any of the limited variants up for a title I liked, it would only be when I thought the cover was cooler than the regular one, like some of the Mignola Hellboy variants, but even there I haven't actually plopped the money down.

Was at a comic store and they had variants at $3 each and I found a Mignola Lobster Johnson one, so I now have shelled out for one. At that price I would pick up more.

I had my fill of modern variants in the 90's. However, something to point out that older collectors overlook: people who collect variants seem to migrate (eventually) to the older eras of comics.

I think variants are one of the ways to hook new collectors to the concept of "collecting" comics. It instills that drive in collectors to go on the hunt for books that other people desire.

As annoying as variants are, I think they provide a neccessary component to collecting comics. We need people hyping up books and buying exclusives - if we didn't, we may not have the blossoming comic book aftermarket we have today.

I had my fill of modern variants in the 90's. However, something to point out that older collectors overlook: people who collect variants seem to migrate (eventually) to the older eras of comics.

I think variants are one of the ways to hook new collectors to the concept of "collecting" comics. It instills that drive in collectors to go on the hunt for books that other people desire.

As annoying as variants are, I think they provide a neccessary component to collecting comics. We need people hyping up books and buying exclusives - if we didn't, we may not have the blossoming comic book aftermarket we have today.

I get what you're saying, but if they went away. I'd be more than ok with it. Like I said before, I collect the Daredevil ones, but when I see things in the solicitations like, "This issue will ship with 5 covers," I think to myself, "Why?"

And 1:75, 1:100, 1:200, etc. variants? Absolutely no need for those.

I'd rather people bought comics because the stories were good (shrug)

I can find good stories in comics that only have one cover. It seems to me that the comics with multiple covers are more concerned about selling you the cover, not the story.

Variants for me have ALWAYS been about the artwork. I don't care if it's 1:5 or 1:5,000,000. I'm a sucker for sketch variants because I love seeing raw pencils. But I will only buy a variant if I absolutely love the new cover... or if i get a fantastic deal that I know I can flip for a profit. :)

To me, I only collect variant if I really like the cover and/or the story. BUT most of the times would be the covers, a good example is DC's 3D Covers. The story are ok to being horrible (It's no Watchmen) BUT the covers are cool. So I buy them just for the cover. IMHO variant collecting is really depends on the person.....

Everybody seems to have a different opinion about variant (which is good and all) BUT i think there is a big factor the industry has to consider. Having variants like 1:10, 1;25, 1:150 or 1:10000000 sometimes help the LCS. If a LCS is in the red with selling a regular cover of a comic, and a collector comes in and buy a 1:100 variant (lets say for $50) then with just that one purchase, the LCS is in the black.

IMHO variants sometimes help LCS stay afloat....again IMHO

Hey guys i know this is not a sketch variant but appears to be some kind of ultra rare variant i was hoping someon has seen it.....

anyone seen of these i am looking buy one. I heard it is an ultra low print run of this superman comic dont know the year. I figure a Copper Expert on here might know or has one to share the info. any help is appreciated!

_T2eC16hHJF0E9nmFTMvPBQsjIUDEl_60_12_zpsd1358e76.jpg

I can find good stories in comics that only have one cover. It seems to me that the comics with multiple covers are more concerned about selling you the cover, not the story.

That's my point. Ignoring the temptation to buy a variant of a title I collect is more than easy, the temptation isn't even there. BUT I have taken note that more and more of the comics I read that have variants available fail to blow me away and ultimately get dropped after a few issues. Just one of those things. I think if it weren't for variant covers Zenescope would have folded within a year. And a lot fewer small publishers would possess big licenses as well.

Hey guys i know this is not a sketch variant but appears to be some kind of ultra rare variant i was hoping someon has seen it.....

anyone seen of these i am looking buy one. I heard it is an ultra low print run of this superman comic dont know the year. I figure a Copper Expert on here might know or has one to share the info. any help is appreciated!

Looks like a Death of Superman comic. Kinda looks like the suit he wore when he came back from death in Superman 500. Though I haven't seen this one. Is it sealed/polybagged? What's inside? (shrug)

Well, for the most part, just having a copy of a book is okay with me. However, like most people I want those rare comics too. Like mail in give aways or yeah, if a comic is 1:500 or something. No, I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't a book I am interested in. But stuff like ASM where it seems like every issue had 4-5 variants is just ridiculous to me. Obviously, just a money making scheme. I get what some are saying, its something to entice new readers to come to the books. But I see that as just an artificial bump. If the stories aren't there then they leave again. Just the sort of thing that was happening in the 90's. All those speculators that bought 5-10 copies of a book thinking they would sell them later and retire. lol. Yeah, that didn't happen.

I think the whole variant business reflects (and contributes to) a weakening of creativity. When you have one shot at a cover design, it's got to be as eye-catching and memorable and interesting as you know how to make it. When you have more than one, not so much - and when you have upwards of half a dozen variants and no connection with the book's contents, the art of cover design has pretty much gone down the toilet.

Please, what is on the inside? What is the comic? What does the indicia say? We need to know.

:wishluck:

-slym

I think the whole variant business reflects (and contributes to) a weakening of creativity. When you have one shot at a cover design, it's got to be as eye-catching and memorable and interesting as you know how to make it. When you have more than one, not so much - and when you have upwards of half a dozen variants and no connection with the book's contents, the art of cover design has pretty much gone down the toilet.
I think it's the opposite, and with variants the art on the cover is all that matters. Nobody is reading 1:500 variants. Nobody is reading sketch variants. Some retailers and customers may be willing to buy 20/100/500 copies of a comic they have no intention of reading for a variant though, and consider the other comics dollar bin fodder. Although I appreciate a nice cover as much as anyone else, fancy covers alone are not going to get me to continue buying a comic. I need them to be good for reading first and foremost.