• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Copper Age mini-series?

85 posts in this topic

I just finished 'Watchmen' (again). Read it on my plane ride back from vacation. It is easily the best series of all time. Wins easily.

Sorry DKR fans; it's a great book, but 'Watchmen' blows it away.

Really a treasure trove of good material, it'll be a while before we see a time like that when such great talents were producing such great stuff. I guess my favorite would be Dark Knight, but I reread Elektra Assassin every couple years, and I'm about due again. Miller really let go with the story and characters, and Sienkiewicz was a complete nut. And I still have my well-worn Untold Legend of The Batman, which was the first real miniseries, IIRC.

But don't forget Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew in the Oz-Wonderland War.

Anything by Bolton has always been worth buying and your right Black Dragon was a quality series. I may have to dig up his stuff and post it in the copper horror thread for those Horror Junkies in the forum. He has a flair for mixing beauty and horror at the same time.

Black Dragon was great! If you ever get a chance - and I hope someday that Dark Horse will reprint these - check out Bolton's King Kull! They are amazing! One was an issue of the black and white mag Bizarre Adventures, the other was Kull Special Edition No. 2. These mini-epics are worth seeking out. His Thor story in another issue of Bizarre Adventures isn't shabby either, nor are the Marada the She-Wolf stories from Epic (collected as the Marada GN by Marvel).

CRISIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cloud9.gif

I read Crisis while I was on vacation.

sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

One of the lamest, most contrived storylines in comic book history. sumo.gif

Of course, your big build-up is part of the reason that the actual book didn't meet my expectations, so you have only yourself to blame. confused-smiley-013.gif

It is, after all, my FAVORITE... by no means the "BEST" mini-series of the "Copper Age".

acclaim.gif Glad I could ruin it for you! acclaim.gif

sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

Of course, your big build-up is part of the reason that the actual book didn't meet my expectations, so you have only yourself to blame. confused-smiley-013.gif

flamed.giftonofbricks.gifforeheadslap.gif

It is, after all, my FAVORITE... by no means the "BEST" mini-series of the "Copper Age".

acclaim.gif Glad I could ruin it for you! acclaim.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Well,I`m already on record in another post as favoring Watchmen.As much as I enjoyed the other series listed in this post(DKR especially) I have to give the nod to Watchmen.My personal opinion is that it is the greatest comic story ever. hail.gif

Black Dragon was great! If you ever get a chance - and I hope someday that Dark Horse will reprint these - check out Bolton's King Kull! They are amazing! One was an issue of the black and white mag Bizarre Adventures, the other was Kull Special Edition No. 2. These mini-epics are worth seeking out. His Thor story in another issue of Bizarre Adventures isn't shabby either, nor are the Marada the She-Wolf stories from Epic (collected as the Marada GN by Marvel).

I was able to pick up the trade for Black Dragon about a year ago (and only recently finished reading it). The trade is in B&W and I wonder if the original issues were in colour?

Some of my favourite mini-series from this period involved Jim Starlin teaming up with Berni Wrightson. I really enjoyed Batman the Cult, and a little known DC mini-series called 'The Weird'. They also did Punisher: POV, but that disappointed a little bit. I also really like Cosmic Odyssey by Starlin and Mignola (notice a trend here? grin.gif)

Other mini-series I think people should give a try that haven't been mentioned:

Elektra Assassin (although not for everyone!)

Hercules (1st Marvel limited series)

Machine Man (BWS limited series)

Hawkworld (Truman limited series)

So many others...just can't think of them right now...

Other mini-series I think people should give a try that haven't been mentioned:

Elektra Assassin (although not for everyone!)

Hercules (1st Marvel limited series)

Machine Man (BWS limited series)

Hawkworld (Truman limited series)

So many others...just can't think of them right now...

I took a break between '86 and '93, so I missed DKR and the Watchmen. I've since read DKR and while it's great, I'd heard too much about it for it to have the impact on me that it did on others when it came out.

Great call on the Machine Man mini. BWS over Herb Trimpe layouts. IIRC that was his first comics worlk since Red Nails pt. 2 in Savage Tales #3. There might have been a pin-up or two, but I don't count that, nor coloring the ST reprint in the Conan Treasury, nor the Conan page in the 1975 Marvel calendar. Vision & Scarlet Witch was cool with the revelations about the Whizzer, Miss America, Pietro, and Magneto.

The first Wolverine mini was amazing. Ronin stunk.

The first Wolverine mini was amazing. Ronin stunk.

I really liked how Ronin started, but the transition from past/future was a bit too much. Heh, this was a book that was very heavily speculated on, and I remember dealers dumping the first few issues everywhere shortly after they came out.

Ok guys, I've not read any tpb's from the 80's. I have gatherd from this thread that I should get:

1) Watchmen

2) Crisis

3) Secret Wars

4) DKR

Is that about right, or am I missing some?

Help me out here, as I plan on reading all of them.