• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting rid of spiders in storage area with comics

92 posts in this topic

Spiders are good, they are eating all the bugs that want to eat your comics. Leave them alone would be my advice or get rid of whatever they are eating and they will leave. Sadly most poisons are going to kill the good with the bad.

I'd leave them alone too. Don't mind spiders at all.

+2

I have pretty bad arachnophobia...but why would you want to get rid of the carnivores eating the scavenging herbivores that eat comics? (shrug) This thread went in the opposite direction I'd expect it to go in on a comics message board. :ohnoez:

Walmart /Lowes sells Black Flag spider spray. Works very well, as regular ant spray only kills the little ones. Obviously don't spray your comics themselves.

Also, they still make the NO-Pest Strip you hang from the ceiling and leave there for 4 months, but I don't know how well that works.

Best thing for spiders is Scutigera coleoptrata the common house centipede. especially around comics. They eats spiders, bed bugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish and ants. Natures exterminators.

house_centipede.JPG

The wife hates these critters and I have to say I'm not without the heebeejeebies when I see one.

Best thing for spiders is Scutigera coleoptrata the common house centipede. especially around comics. They eats spiders, bed bugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish and ants. Natures exterminators.

house_centipede.JPG

The wife hates these critters and I have to say I'm not without the heebeejeebies when I see one.

Used to have bazillions of these in the place we rented in Brooklyn, thought some would come over in boxes when we moved to NJ. They are really creepy - especially a jumbo one crawling across the floor between you and the tv - it'll get your attention! Note that in almost 8 years in that place, we NEVER saw a roach, and we lived next to tons of restaurants. My comics were never molested by them either.

As long as it didn't look like this. If it was more like this, watch any exposed skin.

brown_recluse2.jpg

yeah, that's a real close look.

Recluses are small thin spiders that have a really nasty bite.

141094.jpg

I've heard a hypothesis about brown recluses that I haven't been able to find information to confirm nor deny--that their bite strength isn't enough to penetrate human skin. The only way they "bite" you is to position their mandibles towards you and let you impale yourself. This is supposedly the reason that you only typically get bit when you roll over on them or they crawl up your pants leg--your own weight, or the weight of the fabric in your pants, pushes their mandibles into your skin. And unfortunately for them, they get crushed in the process...but when they're stuck like that, I guess they have no other option.

I've similarly heard many types of arachnids are like this. Another rumor I've heard is that daddy longlegs are poisonous to humans, but their mandible strength and more importantly size of the sharp end can't penetrate human skin even with separate force applied. I bet the part about daddy longlegs being potentially poisonous is bunk, but I haven't researched it yet. (shrug)

house_centipede.JPG

Used to have bazillions of these in the place we rented in Brooklyn, thought some would come over in boxes when we moved to NJ. They are really creepy - especially a jumbo one crawling across the floor between you and the tv - it'll get your attention! Note that in almost 8 years in that place, we NEVER saw a roach, and we lived next to tons of restaurants. My comics were never molested by them either.

I'm seeing my first one ever this month--one of these has taken residence in my den. Unlike wolf spiders who appear to move on rather quickly, this thing seems to view my den as its home--I see it every few nights crawling up the wall. Their leg action is creepy like a spider's, only they have SO many more of them. It's making my skin crawl every time he decides to come out and bordering on invoking my arachnophobia. :o:fear:

house_centipede.JPG

Wait'll he grows up to become a few inches long :o

I'm seeing my first one ever this month--one of these has taken residence in my den. Unlike wolf spiders who appear to move on rather quickly, this thing seems to view my den as its home--I see it every few nights crawling up the wall. Their leg action is creepy like a spider's, only they have SO many more of them. It's making my skin crawl every time he decides to come out and bordering on invoking my arachnophobia. :o:fear:

Wait'll he grows up to be a few inches long :o

Wait'll he grows up to be a few inches long :o

The one in my den is about 3" to 4" long. It's also clearly more aware of its surroundings than spiders--when I move around the den, he sometimes reacts, and he's just as quick as spiders are. I hate smart bugs. :eek:

Spiders are good, they are eating all the bugs that want to eat your comics. Leave them alone would be my advice or get rid of whatever they are eating and they will leave. Sadly most poisons are going to kill the good with the bad.

I prefer to kill everything and not worry about it.

Not sure if this has been answered, but here in Montana where you have all sorts of insects invading homes and have full access to professional-grade insecticides that you can buy at a gas station - this stuff is all business. Kills just about everything and sticks around for most of spider-season (August-November).

I spray my house yearly with this to keep the hobo spiders at bay. It's $55 a container, but will last you 8+ years if you spray your entire house in and out. 8 ounces to a gallon or so.

I've heard a hypothesis about brown recluses that I haven't been able to find information to confirm nor deny--that their bite strength isn't enough to penetrate human skin. The only way they "bite" you is to position their mandibles towards you and let you impale yourself. This is supposedly the reason that you only typically get bit when you roll over on them or they crawl up your pants leg--your own weight, or the weight of the fabric in your pants, pushes their mandibles into your skin. And unfortunately for them, they get crushed in the process...but when they're stuck like that, I guess they have no other option.

This sounds like the old Daddy Long Legs myth that they are the most poisonous spider, but they don't have a direct method to poison attackers. They even talked about this on Myth Busters one time.

http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

When I saw a soldier come back from the hospital after having a cone-shaped chunk of skin cut out of his thigh, it made be a believer to stay away.

Web MD has some details on such bites.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/brown-recluse-spider-bite

I've similarly heard many types of arachnids are like this. Another rumor I've heard is that daddy longlegs are poisonous to humans, but their mandible strength and more importantly size of the sharp end can't penetrate human skin even with separate force applied. I bet the part about daddy longlegs being potentially poisonous is bunk, but I haven't researched it yet. (shrug)

And it was the rumor I thought.

When I lived in NC and was building houses I saw a ton of Black Widow spiders. Had never seen one in the wild until then. I must've killed 50 of them one summer. They would build their nests in the underground plumbing boxes outside of each home. They creeped me out.

When I lived in NC and was building houses I saw a ton of Black Widow spiders. Had never seen one in the wild until then. I must've killed 50 of them one summer. They would build their nests in the underground plumbing boxes outside of each home. They creeped me out.

Had that when I lived in Northern Virginia and I was running a second line from our external phone box. I opened the box and had quite the surprise, as I had no idea there were black widows in the area.

No the best thing for spiders is this:

5310881438_d04293ee32_b.jpg

Glue traps are second best (thumbs u

OMG your cat is beautiful!!!

i love dogs but im a cat guy. i have hairless cats

Is one of them named Mr. Bigglesworth?

yes, well I named him Ripley Biggles. He was the great nephew of Mr Bigglesworth.

Mr Bigglesworth real name was Ted Nude Gent(leman)

I named Ripley after Sigourney Weaver's character in Aliens becasue he looked like a little alien at 7 weeks old.

Best cats ever they dont shed, and will walk on a leash

Cats and comics :cloud9:

download_1__zps3f4e20f1.jpg