• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I will post a question over at 'Ask CGC', to see what they say about it Ganni. It would be a shame if all your books were labelled one way and then events led to a change. Wish me luck. 

The question has to be approved before it gets posted for answering:

phili1.thumb.PNG.5da7f9b3bd10a8537b1035e54bcdc24f.PNG

phili2.thumb.PNG.6b2c472e833818b2b50b6a2d59ed31d0.PNG

Hopefully Jennifer will spot it soon :wishluck:

....crikey my memory is appalling - scouring through the old files and here's another book I used to own - graded by CGC!

153philippinecgcf.thumb.jpg.b06bdfee624d6802b9ea215e40f7c16a.jpg

(note the different labelling approach here to the earlier X-Men example)

Thanks Get.  For asking cgc about the labelling.  If its labeled not as "reprint".  Its great news.  And yes Get.  I'm from the Philippines.  And Happy Thanksgiving Get.

$50 for Spiderman Jeopardy.  Hmmm ASM #153. Is Thats the doc saving his daughter, running the hundred yards to a touchdown ? 

9 hours ago, ganni said:

Thanks Get.  For asking cgc about the labelling.  If its labeled not as "reprint".  Its great news. 

We'll see what they say Ganni but they are reprints my friend - wonderful, charming reprints - so don't get your hopes up

9 hours ago, ganni said:

And yes Get.  I'm from the Philippines.  And Happy Thanksgiving Get.

Your English is good Gan - I'm from England and mine is terrible :bigsmile:

9 hours ago, ganni said:

$50 for Spiderman Jeopardy.  Hmmm ASM #153. Is Thats the doc saving his daughter, running the hundred yards to a touchdown ? 

You know your Spidey's, yes. I love that story. And Ross Andru art too. Lovely. 

5 hours ago, ganni said:

nbs asm 151

asm 151 nbs.jpg

That's a beauty - I've not seen that one before. 

Three questions Ganni if I may, for the local boy:

• How many Amazing Spider-Man copies are you aware of?
  • Do you know when these books were printed? Maybe you bought them as a kid at the time
  • In respect of the example below, could the '75' of the C08-75 indicate the year 1975, being the year it was printed?

831140787_1972.08ASM110GWB.jpg.bd811cf88e9fbdf1dd9b07d5034b24b5.jpg

:)

On 11/22/2020 at 2:07 AM, ganni said:

What really nice is that it is consider as "variant", not reprints.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:08 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I view them as reprints myself

2c - I prefer the term 'Filipino Edition' myself. To my mind, a variant is only a variant if it came from the same batch as whatever it varies from. Price experiment, direct, UKPP, Canadian, Australian variants were all printed at the same time as the (intended) original newsstand cents copies. They all have the same interior pages & US (original) price indicia; only the covers vary. A comic that was printed at a different time in a different place is, by definition, a different edition of that comic. Again, my opinion only, though I feel it makes sense and is compelling as a standard.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

How many Amazing Spider-Man copies are you aware of?

Hmmm, all i know Get.  Goodwillbookstore asm # 108 & 111.  Nationalbookstore  asm # 151, 152,153, 154,155 & 156. And Atlas publication asm# 301/302

Do you know when these books were printed? Maybe you bought them as a kid at the time

Not sure Get,  Maybe nbs variants was printed in the same year.

In respect of the example below, could the '75' of the C08-75 indicate the year 1975, being the year it was printed?

75 could be the year Get.  I check my copy.  No date printed. But i do have a Goodwill bookstore  the Submariner with 74 on the corner with a 1974 calendar on the back of the cover.  And C08 stands for comic book # 8

9 hours ago, ganni said:

Alemars variant sw 2

sw alemars 2.jpg

sw alemars 2 p1.jpg

This is interesting, as it appears to disprove at least some of my assertions. It has the same indicia, but do we know that it was printed in the Philippines? Was it printed in the US, along with the 30c, 35c & 12p copies? If it wasn't, when Alemars got the plates, were they instructed to add a 'reprint' block, or did they leave it off accidentally-on-purpose?

How many pages is this & what are the ads like? Is there a scan of the back cover?

I love it, BTW & I want a copy. :banana:

Edited by rakehell

3 hours ago, rakehell said:

2c - I prefer the term 'Filipino Edition' myself. To my mind, a variant is only a variant if it came from the same batch as whatever it varies from. Price experiment, direct, UKPP, Canadian, Australian variants were all printed at the same time as the (intended) original newsstand cents copies. They all have the same interior pages & US (original) price indicia; only the covers vary. A comic that was printed at a different time in a different place is, by definition, a different edition of that comic. Again, my opinion only, though I feel it makes sense and is compelling as a standard.

I understand that argument Ethel, and it has merits, but I dislike the term 'edition' as, like 'variant', it also implies that there is an original version of the same book extant. To illustrate:

This book is the original - it is an issue of 'The Amazing Spider-Man':

111.thumb.jpg.8298627057399576f42e24b8bb86acaa.jpg

This book is a variant of the original, meeting the key requirements of being printed at the same time in the same location - it is an issue of 'The Amazing Spider-Man':

111p.thumb.jpg.2390f1e63de3812362f2e44cc60c3878.jpg

This next book is not a variant, as it does not meet the criteria, being printed in a different location at a different time:

110philippine.thumb.jpg.cc4cd111d4fbd866716477ec09200ad5.jpg

But it is not an 'edition' either as that suggests it is an issue of 'The Amazing Spider-Man'. It is not. It may carry the same printed title but it remains a locally produced product of the Philippines. It is not part of the sequential issue run of the original US book that it reprints and, as such, is its own thing.

To be called an 'Edition' of something, that something - like a variant - must surely be a version of the product that was produced at the same time as the original. Here is an example where I think the word 'edition' should feature as a descriptor:

194de.thumb.jpg.345b08a8f02cc0ac4e03b2326907bb86.jpg  194ne.thumb.jpg.10b70d3037b6752bc96a1e45f48516cd.jpg

Direct Edition (of the same thing) / Newsstand Edition (of the same thing) - both books carry equal status and one therefore cannot be considered a variant of the other.

This however is not a 'UK Edition' in the same way that the Philippines book is a 'Filipino Edition'....

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.25553bdedc561490fed2866639900630.jpg

...as it is its own publication.

There are grey areas, but in summary, I believe we should use the terms 'variant' and 'edition' only in respect of the same books produced at the same time in the same place, or part of the same print state. Everything else is by definition a reprint, and its own thing, and should therefore be labelled as such - not with wording that in some way connects it to the original book which it reprints in full or in part (and regardless of how similar the cover may be to the original).

Whaddaya think?

2 hours ago, rakehell said:

This is interesting, as it appears to disprove at least some of my assertions. It has the same indicia, but do we know that it was printed in the Philippines? Was it printed in the US, along with the 30c, 35c & 12p copies?

I'll let Ganni answer that one but I would humbly suggest 'not a cat in hell's chance' :)

2 hours ago, rakehell said:

If it wasn't, when Alemars got the plates, were they instructed to add a 'reprint' block, or did they leave it off accidentally-on-purpose?

How many pages is this & what are the ads like? Is there a scan of the back cover?

Yes, would like to see it too.

This is what the CGC label should say for this example in my opinion:

292095380_1972.08ASM110GWB.jpg.8735d3ccddbdb7803aa1ca3968da3e0d.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #C08-75

JMC Press Inc, Undated

"Distributed in the Philippines by 'Goodwill Bookstore Trading Inc'. Reprints Amazing Spider-Man #111"

111philippined.thumb.jpg.9909c45b881cda5995b847d2df6de103.jpg