• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, androolx said:

Looks like you can add Cap 198 to the list.  This one is for sale on eBay

Good spot Androolx, thanks - Captain Rupert America :bigsmile:

7 hours ago, ganni said:

@androolx

Yes, that is the last NBS Captain america run in the 70s as best i remember.(thumbsu

It fits the table as being the last NBS issue, yes:

Capture.PNG.b611141a87ccf17feef77f3b481c4b59.PNG

1684514479_198NBS.jpg.481f6ca9c7f1c464c36e95e2fd0b49be.jpg 227152082_198NBSbc.jpg.a5890c66e4b9686321038ad67a440346.jpg

104 confirmed copies now...

Capture.thumb.PNG.fa7b3e22501fc4e5db52f075a0de085a.PNG

14 hours ago, Metarog said:

Here are a couple I don't see on the list...

SVTU 6 phil.jpgMGC 61 Phil.jpg

Lovely, thanks Metarog - I didn't get a notification that you'd posted. Will add them to the table soon :)

Here we go, 106 confirmed copies now - and both fit within the expected date range:

Capture.thumb.PNG.80b26b0551fbb1a58a5feb0cc71f2609.PNG

Captureb.PNG.63e5603ffd1d8bfd64e1a5ca1617bf10.PNG

@Metarog - I've always had you down as an expert on variants and non-US publications like these NBS comics which fairly faithfully reprint their US original's content. I'm not sure if you've read any of the recent posts, or are interested in the discussion, but what would you describe these NBS books as - variants, reprints or something else?

The categorization depends on your perspective. They are foreign publications that have several variations from the US edition so in a sense they are both foreign edition and a variant from the regular US edition. 

It seems these were printed and distributed some time after the originals so it could be considered a reprint but since you couldn't get this where the original was distributed that really doesn't tell the whole story. There is probably no one way to define them but if you tied me down and I had to come up with one category I'd say foreign edition since although having different paper quality, indicia and possibly printed later it seems to be the only edition available to that market domestically.

Ill read through the discussion and come back if I have anything to add but you and the members here have probably covered all the angles. 

3 minutes ago, Metarog said:

The categorization depends on your perspective. They are foreign publications that have several variations from the US edition so in a sense they are both foreign edition and a variant from the regular US edition. 

It seems these were printed and distributed some time after the originals so it could be considered a reprint but since you couldn't get this where the original was distributed that really doesn't tell the whole story. There is probably no one way to define them but if you tied me down and I had to come up with one category I'd say foreign edition since although having different paper quality, indicia and possibly printed later it seems to be the only edition available to that market domestically.

Ill read through the discussion and come back if I have anything to add but you and the members here have probably covered all the angles. 

Cheers - I gate crash the party around page 13 I think

21 minutes ago, androolx said:

Here is another one for the National Bookstore list - Thor 247.

thor247.jpg

I do remember that .  Sold my copy long time ago.  (thumbsu

10 hours ago, androolx said:

Here is another one for the National Bookstore list - Thor 247.

Top man! :applause:

I remember the seller, Zilla, from my old Spidey completist days. They always had great stuff - nice Marvel Feature up too.

Thor 247 brings us up to 107 confirmed books now:

107.PNG.c19221345ce60eb9d3f8394fdf2bb30d.PNG

Two more Thor's to find, theoretically - #242 and 244:

107b.PNG.a276bb0412b2cf45f48abaaf03908b5f.PNG

Keep looking Andy - you're very good at finding these :)

1674412558_247NBS.thumb.jpg.440679ba5dc3ce06e46360290dd63317.jpg1386176468_247NBSbc.thumb.jpg.3fa16161d779d0c1d3fd6e2f84ed66fe.jpg

15 hours ago, Yorick said:

@Get Marwood & I are you only tracking the Marvel copyright titles?  I've picked up some interesting Jumbo Edition Pictorial Romances with content that does not appear to be created by Marvel.

Jumbo Edition Pictorial Romances 44179 var (reducio).jpg

I love that cover Yorick - and the price sticker is reminiscent of Woolworths from the 1980's :grin:

I'm only cataloguing the Marvel NBS issues for now. I did consider widening the net but there are just too many of them for someone from a desktop in England to major on. I just wanted to see if I could map out the NBS Marvels as I find them enchanting and have owned a few in my time. And I like charting books to see what should / could exist once you've established the likely start and end points. It'll be cool to see how many more emerge over time - with people like Androolx and Ganni on the case I'm sure there'll be more to come.

10 hours ago, ganni said:

Hail Mighty Get Marwood!:preach:

Life is like a box of old comic books... you never know what you're gonna get.

if3.jpg

Ahoy Ganni! :banana:

108! :banana:

In the general target range this one, IF #3, but look at those two out of sequence stragglers there:

108.thumb.PNG.e0f58fc67bfa90fdb006edd75598e869.PNG

He's all at sixes and sevens! (see what I performed there :bigsmile:)

On 7/9/2021 at 12:05 PM, ganni said:

People are really buying

I don't follow that aspect, but I wonder if threads like these have a bearing? Probably not - I suspect the majority of interested parties post on FB groups or elsewhere, but it could be that tabling the NBS subset in the way we have encourages more collectors to join in. It gives an indication of the size of the task which, perhaps, makes it feel more achievable. Not knowing the extent of what is out there might be a barrier to joining in for some. Who knows. 

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't follow that aspect, but I wonder if threads like these have a bearing? Probably not - I suspect the majority of interested parties post on FB groups or elsewhere, but it could be that tabling the NBS subset in the way we have encourages more collectors to join in. It gives an indication of the size of the task which, perhaps, makes it feel more achievable. Not knowing the extent of what is out there might be a barrier to joining in for some. Who knows. 

When I saw the King Comics Flash Gordon variant posted here I began searching for these.  Some of the appeal is not knowing what's out there!  I really like some of the late 50's/early 60's DC printings.  They look like they were printed for US military bases.

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

When I saw the King Comics Flash Gordon variant posted here I began searching for these.

Did you find any more Kings?

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Did you find any more Kings?

I didn't find any.  That only strengthens my resolve to keep the hunt alive!

I did find some neat romance comics which are absolutely bizarre.  One I posted above.  "Jumbo Edition".  I have two copies of the same issue with different contents.  Crazy.