• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

amazing pics and new signature Matt!

i dropped off some mail to you today...

Thanks Tony! (thumbs u Looking forward to your package..... :applause:

This sig is cool but its not new..... its actually older... :insane:

1) :sick:
Thanks Tony! (thumbs u Looking forward to your package..... :applause:
lol

2) Hector, you should see the one Matt still has to send to me. :grin:

Yup hoping to get it out next payday.... Its nice for sure!

Hey Tim, stop that nasty talk.... :makepoint: im working on the Goodwill examinations and stuff and I have to get it done before wifey wakes up otherwise it could take another day..... stop distracting me sir! :frustrated:

Another one that Matt is sending you, which one???.... :popcorn:
It might be a Hulk #197. You know... the one with the Man-Thing cover by Wrightson. :whistle:

oh yes yes, of course..you're all about the Man-Thing

It might be a Hulk #197. You know... the one with the Man-Thing cover by Wrightson. :whistle:

(tsk) Only Bernie Wrightson's Man-Thing. lol

(tsk) Only Bernie Wrightson's Man-Thing. lol

:sick:

Now another theory...... Why do we seem to see more NB books than Goodwill ones? Maybe, just maybe because NB used the original numbering and only left the price areas blank... so many more NB survived because peeps didn't realize they were different? They flew under the "bias" radar and escaped destruction or little brothers grubby hands? The goodwill books put their own numbering on the front covers and maybe they were not as lucky escaping the bias? Less goodwills exist because more of them were sacrificed..... ummmmmmm hm

National Bookstore is the biggest and most prominent bookstore here in the Philippines. They have more funds in reprinting materials.

Goodwill Bookstore has only small stores located mostly in the malls.Not sure if they are still business right now since I cannot find their stores anymore.

As for Alemars, they are the minority here since they only have very few stores in the country. Alemars also closed shop years ago. Of the three reprints, I consider Alemar's the rarest.

Edited by markefrody

Now another theory...... Why do we seem to see more NB books than Goodwill ones? Maybe, just maybe because NB used the original numbering and only left the price areas blank... so many more NB survived because peeps didn't realize they were different? They flew under the "bias" radar and escaped destruction or little brothers grubby hands? The goodwill books put their own numbering on the front covers and maybe they were not as lucky escaping the bias? Less goodwills exist because more of them were sacrificed..... ummmmmmm hm

National Bookstore is the biggest and most prominent bookstore here in the Philippines. They have more funds in reprinting materials.

Goodwill Bookstore has only small stores located mostly in the malls.Not sure if they are still business right now since I cannot find their stores anymore.

As for Alemars, they are the minority here since they only have very few stores in the country. Alemars also closed shop years ago. Of the three reprints, I consider Alemar's the rarest.

Awesome! (thumbs u Thanks for the comments......

So, do you remember seeing goodwill books on the shelves? Do you remember trying to read them as story arcs and were they printed in some kind of continuity that made sense? hm

So, the next types....

The goodwill bookstore copies! :gossip: Goodwill did some interesting stuff.... they changed the numbering.... they included ads for the printer that printed the books, JMC press. And we are pretty sure they didn't follow continuity.... this might be why they chose their own numbering system.

The first book I opened was Rawhide kid 101....

front cover

rawhidekidfront.jpg

back cover

rawhidekidback.jpg

The number 05375/02464 are the numbers Goodwill put into the info box? What is the significance of these numbers? hm

The American cover for reference....

rawhidekid101us.jpg

Now this book fell apart when I opened it.... it was rough... how sucky......

rawhidekidinside.jpg

rawhidekidinside3.jpg

Now the inside indicia states the Goodwill info... notice they cut out the issue number and left it blank. It was very important to them to remove the issue number and assign their own apprently. Again why?

hm

The Goodwill books had weird coloring pages along with ads on the back covers.....

rawhidekidinside2.jpg

Now probably my nicest Goodwill book....... Avengers 102 Out of fear of doing more damage I left this book in its mylar.... Again a weird number, but only 1, and different from the Rawhide kid. This number includes a letter, and a dash? Could the 3 -75 be month and year? And, someone wrote in pen the American issue number for reference? A collector trying to help himself maintain continuity in story arcs? Who knows but its there..... (shrug)

avengers_goodwill_cover.jpg

American for reference...

avengersus.jpg

The next book..... Daredevil

daredevil_goodwill.jpg

American reference....

20817.jpg

same deal with the covers... the goodwill numbering... and on the inside, the issue number removed...

daredevilinside2.jpg

The JMC press ad is a little different on this one.... some information is printed at the bottom of the ad. I wonder how close in bed the printers were with the bookstores themselves. Tim AKA LSComics and I have sometimes wondered if the licenses were bought by some third party and then auctioned off to individual bookstores? Maybe the third party was in bed with the printers and the bookstores came to them for the printing rights? Maybe the third party bought licensing rights and then sold individual titles to the different printers? In this way some DC titles could be being printed and found at multiple bookstores? Who knows.... (shrug)

daredevilinside3.jpg

back cover with kid getting his but burned coloring page? :o

daredevilinside1.jpg

Again, no ads in any of these books except the JMC press and goodwill ads.... along with the coloring pages on the back.

Ok, ontu the next book..... THe Cap 152! This book closely matches the Avengers above in the numbering in the info box. THis book again reconfirms my idea of the numbering having something to do with month and year? hm Beat up book for sure..... :facepalm:

CAgoodwill.jpg

American cover....

20354.jpg

Indicia... And this one looks like a weird cut and paste job by the printers..... like a paste up of only the info they wanted there.... notice the sentences are not even even? Lots of inconsistencies in these books.... with poor printing standards found in many...

capinside1.jpg

Again that same JMC press ad..... without info at bottom...

capinside2.jpg

A shot of the insides.... not to bad I guess?

capinside3.jpg

But, one of the print quality issues we see everywhere in these FIlipino books is the lack of print registration. This can occur for multiple reasons... deformation of the print drums that hold the plates because of age, laziness on the part of the print operators, poor quality plate making you name it. I used to work at the Roswell Daily Record so I have seen big press's run..... so I do know a thing or 2 about it... an example of horrible registration on the magenta and yellow plates....

capinside4.jpg

This book had a huge Goodwill ad that spanned multiple pages....

capinside5.jpg

capinside6.jpg

Back cover....

capinside7.jpg

Now, the most interesting of the Goodwill books I have! :o

The bats 229! Could my bats grail 227 exist? I think its very possible.... :wishluck: Now notice Goodwill put a number that actual insinuates a continuity? A issue number? A issue number in the order these bats were printed by Goodwill? We dont know but its a number that isn't 229.

bats.jpg

American cover for reference....

2691.jpg

Now up until this point we have only seen JMC/goodwill ads on these books.... nothing else... But not this time. A ad called the "Gallery of coming attractions" gives us some clues.....

photo-3.jpg

First clue is that the Bats 229 is included in this ad and it is assigned a number....

photo-4.jpg

This matches up nicely with the number on the front...

photo-5.jpg

This tells us this number is a sort of issue number and could quite possibly be assigned according to the order these books were printed? Look at all the other DC books on the back....

photo-6.jpg

Could a TEC 400 be around? I think so.... the all classic Supes 233 is there, and a Supergirl #1 would be darn cool! Could a HOS 92 exist in a Goodwill version? Could a Bats 227 pop up? A 232, 234, or classic cover like a 244?

I do think the more key you get the more chance that if these books were here in America they would pop up on EBay or database sites similar to LSComics 237. We would have seen them hopefully by now....... :sorry: I dont think they are here. These Key DC Goodwill books are still in the Phillapines.... hiding in a closet somewhere in a FIlipino collectors little brothers stuff..... not known that it could possibly be the only copy in existence!!!!!! :o

What if a Iron Man 55 exists? The breadth of the Marvel and DC stuff all the bookstores printed means almost any Bronze age key is at least possible. hm

Thank you for going on this journey with me guys.... and pay attention! Next time you are going through a old long box of mid grade keys from the bronze age... or going through some dealers stock.... these books could be hiding in plain site! Find um.... Not taking anything away from the 35 cent variants or many of the other rarer bronze variants of course..... :gossip: But, in my opinion the Fillipino bookstore books are the ultimate Bronze age treasure hunt.... (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

I would love to see a Bat 227....it would be pretty awesome

Ahhh dude.... if someone can come up with a Goodwill bats 227 I might have to let them sleep with my wife.... lol Just kidding.... baby, if your reading this you know im kidding.... :hi::roflmao:

More NB goodness.......

ff166cover.jpg

ff166back.jpg

Tims Hulk..... don't worry Tim its gonna get to ya! Little hint..... :gossip: When sourcing books from overseas and getting large packages with multiple books.... have a buddy chip in on the international shipping and earn himself a couple of books.... little foreign hunters tip! Everyone wins! (thumbs u

hulk197cover.jpg

hulk197back.jpg

God it would have been nice to get some earlier Swampys! hm Does a Swampy #1 exist in NB? Id say its a good probability.... hm

swamp14cover.jpg

swamp14back.jpg