• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Copper Age covers

256 posts in this topic

Hari -

Did you read the Playboy article about Original Art. I thought maybe I'd see your name in it.

I can't recall the authors name, but the article mentions some of the big players including Will Gabri-El and Mike ____? D'oh! Stupid college years affecting short-term memory (again!)

It mentions that one of them bought the entire run of Crisis covers back in '97 for a whopping 6K! 893whatthe.gif Can you verify this.

Hari -

Did you read the Playboy article about Original Art. I thought maybe I'd see your name in it.

I can't recall the authors name, but the article mentions some of the big players including Will Gabri-El and Mike ____? D'oh! Stupid college years affecting short-term memory (again!)

It mentions that one of them bought the entire run of Crisis covers back in '97 for a whopping 6K! 893whatthe.gif Can you verify this.

ONLY 6K?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? frustrated.gif

Hari -

ONLY 6K?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? frustrated.gif

I know! It's unreal isn't it?

The article estimates that the cover to #8 alone is in the 75K range now.

Hi,

Yeah, Jon Mankuta bought all 12 covers directly from Perez for 500 bucks each. That was a very low price even for back then, and everyone at the time was shocked. He held onto them until 2003, when he sold 8 of the 12 to my friend Will Gabri-El for something close to 130K. I got the best cover of that bunch, the #8. Jon still has the #7. Those are, of course, the two key covers of the run.

The article actually mentions the #7 cover, which Jon still has. Estimate was 75K, although I'm not sure where the number is coming from. Personally, I'd estimate it around 50K, similar to other "key covers" from the 70s and 80s. My #8 falls in that same ballpark, I suppose, although I think these numbers are really ludicrous for art from the 80s.

I can say that, since I'm not planning on ever selling the #8 smile.gif

Hi,

I owned the #6 too, but traded it to Mike Burkey a while ago. I assume you got it from Mike?

It's not the best cover in the run, but it's certainly the most affordable..... and all the rest are getting quite expensive. The #2 and the #11 are "available" at around 15K each.

What value did you have on the #6?

Hi,

I owned the #6 too, but traded it to Mike Burkey a while ago. I assume you got it from Mike?

It's not the best cover in the run, but it's certainly the most affordable..... and all the rest are getting quite expensive. The #2 and the #11 are "available" at around 15K each.

What value did you have on the #6?

I got $10,000 in trade. I got some nice stuff for it.

But, I kind of wish I'd kept it. It was a nice cover. And yes, I got it from Mike Burkey.

With only 12 covers, and with the series being a landmark in the 80s, these covers are only going to go up in price. But, sounds like you got a bunch of great art for it in trade!

In the recent playboy article on collecting comic art, they have the #7 cover valued at 75K! Apparently he's gotten a few offers in that range. So, I'd say the #6 is certainly worth 10K at this point.

How about a probably seldom seen George Perez cover from Americomics #1 - a short lived 80s color indy publisher. The lady kind of reminds me of Perez's "Sachs & Violens" series that came 10 years later.

1102768824893_americom1.JPG