• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Appearance Game.

158 posts in this topic

Miracleman – Miracleman #1 (1985)

That's a reprint from Warrior #1-3 !!

Miracleman/Marvelman (modern interpretation) – Warrior #1 (1982)

"Miracleman" was first mentioned in Marvel Super-Heroes no.387 July 1982.

In the following issue, no.388 Aug 1982, we see his gravestone.

Daredevils no.7 June 1983 featured pictured appearances of both "Miracleman" and Young Miracleman referred to as "Rick" (as in Richard "Dicky" Dauntless) both are killed by The Fury.

All the above are Moore written Marvel UK titles. I class them as legitimate appearances and understand they will be referenced in Marvel's forthcoming re-launch.

"Marvelman" in name does 1st appear in Warrior no.1. "Warpsmith" 1st appears on the rear cover of Warrior no.3.

Moore first talks about writing / re-launching Marvelman in the May 1981 issue of SSI.

"Marvelman" as a name is first mentioned in the L Miller "Captain Marvel" no.19 in early 1954.

Daredevils no.7 June 1983 featured pictured appearances of both "Miracleman" and Young Miracleman referred to as "Rick" (as in Richard "Dicky" Dauntless) both are killed by The Fury.

All the above are Moore written Marvel UK titles. I class them as legitimate appearances and understand they will be referenced in Marvel's forthcoming re-launch.

"Marvelman" in name does 1st appear in Warrior no.1. "Warpsmith" 1st appears on the rear cover of Warrior no.3.

Moore first talks about writing / re-launching Marvelman in the May 1981 issue of SSI.

"Marvelman" as a name is first mentioned in the L Miller "Captain Marvel" no.19 in early 1954.

So we have:

• Marvelman (original) first mentioned in the L Miller "Captain Marvel" no.19 (early 1954)
  • Marvelman (modern interpretation) first mention: SSI (May 1981)
  • Marvelman (modern interpretation) first appearance: Warrior #1 (March 1982)
  • Miracleman first use of name: Marvel Super-Heroes no.387 (July 1982)
  • Miracleman first appearance of character using name: Daredevils no.7 (June 1983)

But is Miracleman really a character or just a synonym for Marvelman? As a character he first appears in Warrior (modern version) ...or is the Daredevils #7 Miracleman a different character?

All nice and simple this first appearance game hm

So we have:

• Marvelman (original) first mentioned in the L Miller "Captain Marvel" no.19 (early 1954)
  • Miracleman first appearance of character using name: Daredevils no.7 (June 1983)

But is Miracleman really a character or just a synonym for Marvelman? As a character he first appears in Warrior (modern version) ...or is the Daredevils #7 Miracleman a different character?

It's never simple

To use an analogy, which is my elder son's true first appearance?

His first generally accepted appearance was 3rd April 2005 but not as we know him now: different powers, hair and costume

but...

20 week scan (more or less fully formed, use of name)

12 week scan (cameo)

9 months before

Glint in Daddy's eye

16 years before met co-creator

not sure where I'm going withn this but you get the idea? hm

p.s. how is Wolverine's first appearance NOT Hulk no.180 ?

Same logic Judge Dredd is 2000AD no.1 not no.2

So we have:

It's never simple

To use an analogy, which is my elder son's true first appearance?

His first generally accepted appearance was 3rd April 2005 but not as we know him now: different powers, hair and costume

but...

20 week scan (more or less fully formed, use of name)

12 week scan (cameo)

9 months before

Glint in Daddy's eye

16 years before met co-creator

not sure where I'm going withn this but you get the idea? hm

p.s. how is Wolverine's first appearance NOT Hulk no.180 ?

Same logic Judge Dredd is 2000AD no.1 not no.2

Hulk #180 definitely is the first appearance of Wolverine in both visual terms and within a story, albeit a cameo appearance in this case.

For me personally a first appearance is in a story with art (a comic strip no less!) and I don't hold any value for first appearances in adverts, flyers or any comic related magazines or fanzines, unless there is genuine narrative and art; this is why I really struggle to understand the prices for comics like Gobbledygook #1 (advert for TMNT).

Can't believe we've had 10 pages with no mention of this 1st appearance.

You can stick your BA12 and NM98, here's where the big moneys gonna be.

Marvel Super-Heroes v2 #8

First Squirrel Girl

MarvelSuperHeroes008a_zps4e06c390.jpeg

Beau had sent me a copy of this as one of my Christmas gifts one year.

:cloud9::(

Though the Ditko art is really tough to get through, it is a funny story.

Squirrel-Girl-1.jpg

After this, the OP should compile a list of the books here and let it be used as a resource.

A thorough list of 1st appearances is hard to find - unless someone has a link?

Thanks.