• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic was advertised on ebay as unrestored, is not, do i return?

109 posts in this topic

Yeah, that's the book. I figured one of you would be clever enough to figure it out. Yes, the seller had excellent feedback, so it seemed a safe move. So the trimming is obvious to a trained eye? Great, dang it. What do I look for? An edge that just doesn't look natural?

The seller is responsive so far. Hasn't committed to anything. He doesn't believe it's restored.

He keeps asking to see pictures.

I said, "ok, look at the pictures you took to sell the item." Why would I take new ones and then throw it in the mail? The comic hasn't changed.

He said, "I guess we will have to wait and see."

I reminded him all that will come back is a slabbed book with a purple label on it.

If he's honest about not knowing it's trimmed, we are both equally bummed. I'm not disparaging the seller, but right now it is what it is. I noticed that the grading update now says trimmed in the pedigree slot, and the SA notice is gone. Said its at quality control.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.

Yeah, that's the book. I figured one of you would be clever enough to figure it out. Yes, the seller had excellent feedback, so it seemed a safe move. So the trimming is obvious to a trained eye? Great, dang it. What do I look for? An edge that just doesn't look natural?

The seller is responsive so far. Hasn't committed to anything. He doesn't believe it's restored.

I said, "ok, look at the pictures you took to sell the item." Why would I take new ones and then throw it in the mail? The comic hasn't changed.

I reminded him all that will come back is a slabbed book with a purple label on it.

If he's honest about not knowing it's trimmed, we are both equally bummed. I'm not disparaging the seller, but right now it is what it is. I noticed that the grading update now says trimmed in the pedigree slot, and the SA notice is gone. Said its at quality control.

This song and dance sounds oddly familiar. It's a long shot, but is the sellers first name Ed by any chance?

I wouldn't wait a second to start the eBay and Paypal and Credit Card SNAD claims. Not a millisecond.

I wouldn't wait a second to start the eBay and Paypal and Credit Card SNAD claims. Not a millisecond.

If you are within the limits start the claims now...you can escalate it later but you don't want to "wait and see" that deadline pass.

That's a terrible trimming job, too...

:eek:

-slym

I'm curious, what makes that a terrible job? I think I can see what other people are seeing in that it's trimmed (the super clean edges that look like it came straight out of the bindery department) - is that what makes it a bad trim job? The fact that I can see it with the naked eye?

If you haven't guessed, though you have, I'm new to this. Not the first big purchase I had in mind.

Anyway, I've opened a case with Ebay, which is where the back and forth is ongoing. Do I need to do more?

P.S.

No, it's not an Ed...

WHICH EDGES WERE TRIMMED?

If you haven't guessed, though you have, I'm new to this. Not the first big purchase I had in mind.

Anyway, I've opened a case with Ebay, which is where the back and forth is ongoing. Do I need to do more?

P.S.

No, it's not an Ed...

WHICH EDGES WERE TRIMMED?

Book is still at CGC, he just has the preliminary grading info. From the looks of the picture it could be all three.

The good news is that the raw IM 1 and Avengers 57 he has listed do not look trimmed.

Also I cannot find any bad chatter about this seller. So I think you have a shot.

It was pointed out to me that the IM 1 he currently has listed as high grade is the proud owner of a extra set of staples completely though both halves of the book. So it's VGish.

The good news is that the raw IM 1 and Avengers 57 he has listed do not look trimmed.

Also I cannot find any bad chatter about this seller. So I think you have a shot.

It was pointed out to me that the IM 1 he currently has listed as high grade is the proud owner of a extra set of staples completely though both halves of the book. So it's VGish.

Yep. There has to be a reason why only some of his high-money comics are graded and others are not.

This is unfortunate. If you're new to the high dollar market, I would suggest making friends with some boardies who would give you advice when considering a big purchase. I'm in the crowd that doesn't believe a seller owes grading fees on a book originally sold raw. If you want a blue label slab, that's what you should buy. In the event you were able to determine a seller bought a PLOD, popped it, and sold it as unrestored, then things would be different.... maybe lawsuit worthy. I agree with the above observation..... it raises flags that an ASM 50 in apparent high grade is raw when other books aren't. I sell lots of raw books because I'm a tightwad and impatient..... but even I would never neglect to slab a sweet ASM 50...... unless..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S.

No, it's not an Ed...

Paypal dispute and Credit Card issuer, if you paid by card.

Do it yesterday.

When 45 days pass, you only have your CC to fall back on, and if you didn't use a card, you are in trouble, as Paypal protection ceases after 45 days.

The guy is stalling and that indicates 2 things:

He knew it was trimmed

He has done this before.

You will loose you money if you do not act decisively now.

Good Luck.

I'm in the crowd that doesn't believe a seller owes grading fees on a book originally sold raw. If you want a blue label slab, that's what you should buy.

I don't see the logic to this. The seller is. 100% at fault here, his mistake shouldn't cost the buyer one cent. It has already wasted his time and tied up his cash. Think of stabbing fees as recouping legal fees. The buyer should be made whole. The seller should view this as a lesson in the cost of doing business. If the costs are too high he should probably consider a different line of work.

And to the OP, you might consider directing the seller to this thread, perhaps if he sees the opinions expressed here he may come around.it helps that you have behaved very reasonably and have not jumped to any conclusions nor bashed him in your postings.

Good luck, you will surely prevail here.

I wouldn't do business with anyone that says cgc/pgx ready. That right there sets off alerts in my mind. If that was the case why don't they do it themselves to increase their profit margins since that is the way the game is played. He also advertised as 100% as not restored. That person needs to back that up 100% then in my mind and should refund your cost since item is not as listed.

I wouldn't do business with anyone that says cgc/pgx ready. That right there sets off alerts in my mind. If that was the case why don't they do it themselves to increase their profit margins since that is the way the game is played. He also advertised as 100% as not restored. That person needs to back that up 100% then in my mind and should refund your cost since item is not as listed.

This

A little update. It has shipped; will get back to me soon. It's a 9.2 grade, which falls into the "close enough" category. You hope they error on the low side, but my luck clearly doesnt fall that way on this one.

For added displeasure, in addition to the trimming they also found color touch.

As far as paypal is concerned, not sure how that works. I actually (will) have the comic, so it's not like i can say i never got it, so I would still have to return it. Im at the 11 day mark since purchase and about a little less than a week since I got it in the mail (CGC fast track is just that, fast).

I've given the seller all of this information, so hopefully he can just do a straight refund of my costs and he can get a slabbed, 9.2, trimmed and color touched, Amazing Spiderman 50.

Thanks again for all the advice. I needed it.

A little update. It has shipped; will get back to me soon. It's a 9.2 grade, which falls into the "close enough" category. You hope they error on the low side, but my luck clearly doesnt fall that way on this one.

For added displeasure, in addition to the trimming they also found color touch.

As far as paypal is concerned, not sure how that works. I actually (will) have the comic, so it's not like i can say i never got it, so I would still have to return it. Im at the 11 day mark since purchase and about a little less than a week since I got it in the mail (CGC fast track is just that, fast).

I've given the seller all of this information, so hopefully he can just do a straight refund of my costs and he can get a slabbed, 9.2, trimmed and color touched, Amazing Spiderman 50.

Thanks again for all the advice. I needed it.

Good luck!