• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is your collection worth(approx.)?

96 posts in this topic

Reason would dictate that the list of S.A. key issues above should be worth $2 - 2.5M. However, who would really be surprised to see some huge "standalone best copy" premiums attached to the ASM #1 and X-Men #1 9.8's and A.F. #15 9.6 ? Either way, I personally believe both these G.A. Mega-Keys are individually worth more than the above S.A. list combined.

I think we can safely say the dentist has the most valuable collection in the world, and we can only dream of the total $$$ involved. (Perhaps Steve L can hazard a guess ???)

Let's rephrase the question. How many $3M + personal collections are there in the world ? (not including dealer stock). I am guessing half a dozen or less. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That would be around my guess, too. I couldn't say with any kind of certainty, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that there are more than 10 or 11 3million+ collections in private hands. The thing is, there could be more, just take a look at Metro's online stock, for example. Yet, in my limited personal interaction with such folks, I find that those few with hundreds of millions in the bank who have some passion for collecting tend not to go for comics. Instead, they're more into fine art, very rare books, wines, etc. You know, fancy-schmancy things with the "look how rich I am" factor going for them. When friends come over for cocktails, I suppose guests are more impressed with a picasso than a spidey in NM+. And to be honest, I really can't blame most BSDs. I believe a Shakespeare 1st folio recently went for a million at auction, and, if I had the money for such a thing, that seems to me a much wiser investment than a handful of highgrade silver comics!

Fortunately, I'll never have such a dilemma. 27_laughing.gif

My estimate seems low, but I was figuring several big collectors have cashed out recently. I also have a feeling that if we were to include original art there may be several further additions to the $1M+ club (at least) from the guys that were buying Kirby and Ditko pages for $5 a pop a few years back. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My estimate seems low, but I was figuring several big collectors have cashed out recently. I also have a feeling that if we were to include original art there may be several further additions to the $1M+ club (at least) from the guys that were buying Kirby and Ditko pages for $5 a pop a few years back. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A few years? Try 25.

As fun as looking at big CGC numbers is, the top SA collections are only an appetizer to be contemplated before looking at some REAL comic collections. I'll take your gaudy numbers in their shiny cases and raise you two books:

Allentown Detective #27

Edgar Church Action #1

hail.gif

Rob, yeah, I initially thought to put up the Dentist`s collection. I didn`t because I don`t have a good idea as to what books he has and what grades the books are, including these two. It`s been discussed on these boards, including whether there`s been any restoration, but the fact is we just don`t know. However, in light of JP`s rumored offer of $2 million for the Action 1, which establishes some kind of market price, you would have to guess these 2 books together would be over $3 million.

Reason would dictate that the list of S.A. key issues above should be worth $2 - 2.5M. However, who would really be surprised to see some huge "standalone best copy" premiums attached to the ASM #1 and X-Men #1 9.8's and A.F. #15 9.6 ? Either way, I personally believe both these G.A. Mega-Keys are individually worth more than the above S.A. list combined.

Probably true. But I was hoping someone would take a shot at estimating individual prices to each of the books, which is why I broke them out separately.

Drdonaldblake is not allowed to play this game because he`ll just say one zillion dollars for each. grin.gif

Rob, yeah, I initially thought to put up the Dentist`s collection. I didn`t because I don`t have a good idea as to what books he has and what grades the books are, including these two. It`s been discussed on these boards, including whether there`s been any restoration, but the fact is we just don`t know. However, in light of JP`s rumored offer of $2 million for the Action 1, which establishes some kind of market price, you would have to guess these 2 books together would be over $3 million.

I'll accept Steve F.'s assessment of the Action #1 (It would be 9.2 Universal.) I honestly don't know about the Allentown 'Tec 27, but if it's truly the "best existing" then the numerical grade doesn't matter all that much.

I do wish we had a better idea of what he has beyond the scraps of information that flutter down to us. Not that it's anyone's business but his own, of course. I'm just curious.

One thing that zillatoy pointed out that's always interesting to remember when contemplating Dave the dentist in these discussions: he's got a killer SA collection too. 893whatthe.gif

If you're going to factor original art into the equation...Terry Austin would make the list. He owns pretty much every cover/page that he and Byrne did on the X-MEN. cloud9.gif

Not even close to "every." Inkers generally get one out of every three pages, so that's the MOST he's going to have. Maybe he had a different deal back then and could have more, but no more than half. Either way, there's a lot of it out there for sale:

Byrne/Austin X-Men Page and another Byrne/Austin X-Men Page

If you're going to factor original art into the equation...Terry Austin would make the list. He owns pretty much every cover/page that he and Byrne did on the X-MEN. cloud9.gif

Not even close to "every." Inkers generally get one out of every three pages, so that's the MOST he's going to have. Maybe he had a different deal back then and could have more, but no more than half. Either way, there's a lot of it out there for sale:

Byrne/Austin X-Men Page and another Byrne/Austin X-Men Page

Okay...not every page. sorry.gif

But I was hoping someone would take a shot at estimating individual prices to each of the books

Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.6

Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8

Avengers #1 CGC 9.6

Fantastic Four #1 CGC 9.4

Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 9.4

Journey into Mystery #83 CGC 9.6

Strange Tales #101 CGC 9.6

Strange Tales #110 CGC 9.6

Tales of Suspense #39 CGC 9.6

Tales to Astonish #35 CGC 9.6

X-Men #1 CGC 9.8

My guess as to what these would bring at auction;

AF 15 - 500K

ASM 1 - 350K

Avengers 1 - 65K

FF 1 - 120K

Hulk 1 - 100K

JIM 83 - 125K

STT 101 - 60K

STT 110 - 20K

TOS 39 - 100K

TTA 35 - 85K

X-Men #1 - 200K

As mentioned earlier, it's very hard to put a price on top census books like ASM 1, X-Men 1, and AF 15, especially for the 9.8 grade. I might be way off on the ASM #1 and X-Men #1.....

This would be my MasterCard commercial:

1)Logging on to the net.(monthly charge) $35.00

2)Bidding on Ebay auctions(on average) $200.00

3)Shipping costs(over charged) $12.00

4)Receiving the damaged package and then opening it up to see I got the wrong issue......"Priceless". foreheadslap.gif

No serious I would say about 10,000+.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whatever people are willing to spend on them. crazy.gif If a time comes where people loose interest in this hobby, then I guess it is worthless, but for now its pretty good tongue.gif

But I was hoping someone would take a shot at estimating individual prices to each of the books

Avengers #1 CGC 9.6

X-Men #1 CGC 9.8

AF 15 - 500K

ASM 1 - 350K

Avengers 1 - 65K

FF 1 - 120K

Hulk 1 - 100K

JIM 83 - 125K

STT 101 - 60K

STT 110 - 20K

TOS 39 - 100K

TTA 35 - 85K

X-Men #1 - 200K

As mentioned earlier, it's very hard to put a price on top census books like ASM 1, X-Men 1, and AF 15, especially for the 9.8 grade. I might be way off on the ASM #1 and X-Men #1.....

You really think a TTA35 would go for more than a similar Avengers1? The 9.8 Spidey 1(if there is still only 1) used to belong to a buddy of mine. He bought it off Metro and believe he paid around 1500-1800 for it in mid to late 80s. He sold it when he bought his house.Is it still in Jersey?

Avengers #1 CGC 9.6

X-Men #1 CGC 9.8

AF 15 - 500K

ASM 1 - 350K

Avengers 1 - 65K

FF 1 - 120K

Hulk 1 - 100K

JIM 83 - 125K

STT 101 - 60K

STT 110 - 20K

TOS 39 - 100K

TTA 35 - 85K

X-Men #1 - 200K

You really think a TTA35 would go for more than a similar Avengers1? The 9.8 Spidey 1(if there is still only 1) used to belong to a buddy of mine. He bought it off Metro and believe he paid around 1500-1800 for it in mid to late 80s. He sold it when he bought his house.Is it still in Jersey?

The TTA #35 in 9.6 is the only existing copy above 9.0 at this point(no 9.2's, no 9.4's), so to the right Marvel completionist/key collector, I would say it's worth more than an Avengers #1 in similar condition.

Tom Brulato owns the ASM #1, and he's in NYC if I'm not mistaken.

Avengers #1 CGC 9.6

X-Men #1 CGC 9.8

AF 15 - 500K

ASM 1 - 350K

Avengers 1 - 65K

FF 1 - 120K

Hulk 1 - 100K

JIM 83 - 125K

STT 101 - 60K

STT 110 - 20K

TOS 39 - 100K

TTA 35 - 85K

X-Men #1 - 200K

The TTA #35 in 9.6 is the only existing copy above 9.0 at this point(no 9.2's, no 9.4's), so to the right Marvel completionist/key collector, I would say it's worth more than an Avengers #1 in similar condition.

Tom Brulato owns the ASM #1, and he's in NYC if I'm not mistaken.

TB is in NJ.

COI, I think you're a bit light on the IH #1. Tripps, among others, would probably pay at least $150K. ST 101 and TTA 35 seem a bit heavy. Your points on TTA 35 above are well taken, but I just don't think the title or the first appearance of Ant-Man in costume would be THAT popular. But I could be wrong... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif This is fun, speculating about books I'll never own. grin.gif