• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel vs DC collectors

53 posts in this topic

Out of the people who said "both", how many would still collect DCs if Batman was excluded?

Here :acclaim:

Superman is my favorite comic character of all time and my Superman collection is only slightly smaller than my Batman one. Also have many Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, JLA, Atom, Hawkman, Showcase, B&B, short runs, odd genres, etc.

I love DC. I also love Marvel. And many (many!) other publishers as well. It doesn't always have to be a competition.

So, ten percent of the people here do not collect comic books? Interesting.

Must be here for the water cooler stuff. :)

lol Are you trolling?

Neither means they collect neither dc or marvel, not that they do not collect comic books at all.

Not to mention that the poll specifically mentions Silver Age books. So, in theory, one could collect Bronze or Golden Marvel and/or DCs and he would still have to answer "neither" in this particular question. :gossip:

At this point, I think a difference should be made between Marvel AS A PUBLISHER and the Marvel Age as a concept and vision.

When I speak of Marvel I just think about how the Marvel superheroes were written, thought out, and developed, mostly during the Marvel Age, which for my own commodity I consider more or less closed – unless a miracle happens that is. ;)

I think any long term dealer could have guestimated your poll results fairly accurately. For SA books, you meet four Marvel collectors for every DC collector. Marvel only (or "Marvel Zombies") account for over 1/2 of collectors. Actually, I wold have guessed the SA market at more like 60-65% Marvel only. I suspect these boards attract a more well rounded bunch to begin with and doesn't quite represent the average comic book store crowd. . I would estimate that about a third of SA collectors collect both. About 1/2 of those that collect both also collect other publishers of that time - GK and Charlton most common.

Dealers would also tell you that DC SA collectors are much more likely to be - I'm not sure of the right word here - maybe "pure" collectors. They are much more likely to collect nearly all the DC titles (no chasing after "hot" books or characters) They are much less likely to slab their books and they tend to be very "steady", adding to their collections s in a methodical and consistent basis.

Some of this can inferred and verified other ways. DC titles outsold Marvel all through the SA - yet in the CGC census Marvels outnumber DC's. DC SA collectors are simply much less inclined to slab their books.

The numbers flip flop for different "ages" (hate that term). For the GA DC dominates. For collectors of modern books - especially the past decade or so, it feels like a virtual tie with Image a strong second. If intensity of the collector matters, Image is a very close second.

Great poll - and just to share, I'm a SA collector and collect not just both Marvel and DC, but the other publishers as well. I collect as an adult what I loved and read as a kid. In the early 60's Gold Key was very much on our "purchase" lists - 12 cents, GA size, no ads, PAINTED front and back covers. And that was just the hero/adventure titles. They had the entire Disney franchise as well. Then there was also Archie, Harvey (Richie Rich, Casper) and the Charlton titles. Read 'em all - and collect them all.

Great poll, great thread

As far as a collector, I buy generally Silver Age Spider-Man books. I pick up a few keys too, but my focus is filling in my Spidey collection. I own a few random modern slabs, but they are a few and far between.

However, I do pull modern DC books and enjoy reading them. If I had disposable money, I'd probably start dropping money on some Batman books. Once my ASM collection is done, I might start picking up the occasional Bat book.

Out of the people who said "both", how many would still collect DCs if Batman was excluded?

When someone says "both", they probably mean "just about everything."

By the way, the question is just as ridiculous if you turn it around and suggest that the only Marvel comic worth collecting is Amazing Spider-Man.

By the way, the question is just as ridiculous if you turn it around and suggest that the only Marvel comic worth collecting is Amazing Spider-Man.

I wasn`t implying that only Batman was worth collecting. I am/was a SA DC collector.

However, my impression was that most Marvel collectors wouldn`t come near a DC with the possible exception of Batman, as he`s the only DC superhero that most Marvel fans consider to be cool. So I was curious when Marvel fans say they also collect DC, whether that means just Batman or a broader range of DC titles.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: Out of the collectors who said "Both" but are predominantly Marvel collectors, do you collect any DC titles other than Batman-related titles?

No way. X-Men, Avengers, Hulk, Thor/Jim are all pretty popular silver age books.

I collect as an adult what I loved and read as a kid. In the early 60's Gold Key was very much on our "purchase" lists - 12 cents, GA size, no ads, PAINTED front and back covers. And that was just the hero/adventure titles. They had the entire Disney franchise as well. Then there was also Archie, Harvey (Richie Rich, Casper) and the Charlton titles. Read 'em all - and collect them all.

Splendid!

There are only certain issues, here and there, which I'm interested in having originals of - not complete runs of anything, really.

Most from Marvel and DC, but other publishers as well, back to the Pre-Code era.

A good comic is a good comic.

+1

I'm not bothered about who published the book, as long as I have some connection to the story, art, characters, subject matter etc.

I wasn`t implying that only Batman was worth collecting. I am/was a SA DC collector.

However, my impression was that most Marvel collectors wouldn`t come near a DC with the possible exception of Batman, as he`s the only DC superhero that most Marvel fans consider to be cool. So I was curious when Marvel fans say they also collect DC, whether that means just Batman or a broader range of DC titles.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: Out of the collectors who said "Both" but are predominantly Marvel collectors, do you collect any DC titles other than Batman-related titles?

Well, certainly Batman is the most popular character in the DC stables. And it's true I think that Bats is the only character (for the SA) that many Marvel only types would consider. But DC has a couple of other titles that come to mind that appeal to the "Marvel style" collector. LSH in Adventure (written by then then teenage Jim Shooter) comes to mind immediately. I also have observed that mostly Marvel collectors will chase down DC's that were done by artists like Adams and Wrightson.

But my experience is that the great majority of collectors that collect "both" or all SA publishers collect more than just Batman on the DC side. I don't believe I know a single SA Marvel collector that also collects Batman and no other DC title.