• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers #1 and #4

15 posts in this topic

Was posting these over on the Silver section, and figured why not have the folks here give a run at grading them? Thanks in advance.

Avengers #1: everything there, cover attached, no splits or missing pieces, and the pages all look good - except those two places on the front cover between "Ant Man" and "Hulk" go all the way through the book. Don't know that that was - looks kinda like staple holes, but awfully close together.

Avengers1_001_zpsc32030c8.jpg

Avengers1_002_zps5f2056e5.jpg

Avengers #4: complete, cover attached, nothing of note that's not in the scans (nicked bit in the spine near bottom staple).

Avengers4_001_zpscc161e2e.jpg

Avengers4_002_zps36644793.jpg

Thanks in advance to everyone.

#1: I’ d say VG because of the back cover stain – looks color touched on the spine.

#4: I’d say VG- also because of the stain, otherwise could have been better.

+1 Near Loki's shoulder.

I think you both are right, thanks for pointing that out. Any idea on what this means for the value? Not looking to sell, but I am looking at insurance, and wouldn't want to insure for more than it is worth.

Thanks again.

#1 3.0 minor resto - amateur color touch on spine, and either a stain or color touch in the blue banner between the H and S. Holes are probably from a thumbtack.

Color touch probably drops the value about 30% at that grade.

#4 2.5

It may have few more color touches. You need to look the spine inside the cover if the color bleed through.

Yeah, that's the first thing I looked at after the others saw the color touches. I just looked again, and I can't see anything else along the spine besides those places on Loki's shoulder, right where the bottom staple is.

#1 3.0 minor resto - amateur color touch on spine, and either a stain or color touch in the blue banner between the H and S.

It appears to be a stain.

Holes are probably from a thumbtack.

Good job! I was looking at it again just before I read this, and noticed that there was a round impression around the hole. Looks just like a thumbtack (two, actually).

Thanks to everyone - a bit of a range on these two, 2.5-4.0 on the #1, and 2.0-3.5 on the #4.

Keep in mind that, besides the color touch, the stains (if not small) and the water damage also deduct from the overall grade, so I doubt the #1 can be a full VG – not sure about the #4, and very likely I was high in my grades, so let’s say:

#1 - 3.5

#2 - 3.0

as marvelcollector voted (he’s a tight grader). :)

Keep in mind that, besides the color touch, the stains (if not small) and the water damage also deduct from the overall grade, so I doubt the #1 can be a full VG – not sure about the #4, and very likely I was high in my grades, so let’s say:

#1 - 3.5

#2 - 3.0

as marvelcollector voted (he’s a tight grader). :)

Oh, yeah, I get that, but even with your revised grades (which I would say is about the consensus overall), the range stays the same on the #1, and drops a bit on the #4.

It just goes to show that different things bother different people. One of the graders in this thread gave the highest grade to the #1 and just about the lowest grade to the #4. Now, granted, perhaps he didn't read the earlier graders who noticed the color touches on the #1 and would grade lower on that given the added information, but still it's interesting.

Always interesting insights on these threads, just to see how differently people see things sometimes. I posted scans of my AF #15 a while back, and one person took exception to some other grades, saying something like "My X.X is better than this one" and so mine shouldn't be X.X, and I agreed looking at his scans; but I've also seen pictures of other CGC X.X AF #15 that looked - to me - WORSE than both of ours. So who knows?

Thanks again. Just for the record, I don't have any arguments with your assessment, either.