• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOILER-FILLED thread about Agents Of SHIELD
1 1

2,204 posts in this topic

I watch it with the wife and kids. There's not a lot to choose from during prime time that the whole family can enjoy. The actings okay and it's campy but have you seen the shows on Disney (which my kids watch a lot of)? We like the show and have also been tuning into Sleepy Hollow (although it scares my youngist one - but she loves it). So that's 5 likes you can add.

A colleague at work asked me about this show, they know I am a "major" comic book guy and they were surprised that I said I find the show lack lustre.

They asked me what I wanted to see so I described a scene.

The Agents are attempting to infiltrate the very secure bunker of this week's enemy. They find they can't break in and they report to Coulsen who responds

"Handled. I have requested the assistance of a big gun who will be onsite asap".

A low flying shuttle suddenly appears near the fortress and a solitary figure jumps out and lands. It is a 100 foot jump. He approaches silently and sinks his steel hard fingers into the side of the wall and rips open a hole for the team to enter. He is cloaked and maybe all you see is his lower jaw so you can get away with absolutely anyone playing the part. Mae is the last person to enter and she says "Thanks Luke." The cloaked figure nods.

They have access to the entire Marvel universe and I feel they could make use of it.

Something akin to the show Heroes...less interns in training.

The problem with your scenario is WHAT THEN? Luke Cage stands by while the team enters into harm's way? Where's his extraction plan? Are you saying the Shuttle lands anyway even though he idiotically jumped out?

So he joins the team and suddenly they're all fifth wheels?

You can see how this is going I hope...

The problem with your scenario is WHAT THEN? Luke Cage stands by while the team enters into harm's way? Where's his extraction plan? Are you saying the Shuttle lands anyway even though he idiotically jumped out?

All of that needs to be explained? Why? Oh right I forgot this is TV and nothing can be left to the imagination.

Anyways the point is to add a tidbit of something cool. I am sure the writers can come up with something better than the quickly written example I have given.

This was actually in the SLEEP HOLLOW thread over in the WC but didn;t want to turn that into a SHIELD thread so...

SHIELD is just bad. Or maybe not bad . . . it's just that the intended audience is between 10 and 14.

I am still holding out some hope for SHIELD, mainly because of Whedon. I did enjoy seeing Charles Gunn from ANGEL (J. August Richards) and Shephard Book (Ron Glass) in the opener. Typical Whedon thing to use cast members from other shows he did.

What is a little unnerving is I keep seeing flashes of "good Faith" (Buffy) in Skye (Chloe Bennet).

Overall I am hoping Whedon will pull something good out of what is so far a fairly pedestrian start.

They have access to the entire Marvel universe and I feel they could make use of it.

Something akin to the show Heroes...less interns in training.

Well, Jeph Loeb is part of the show, and we all saw what he did with Heroes. :baiting:

All of that needs to be explained? Why? Oh right I forgot this is TV and nothing can be left to the imagination.

Anyways the point is to add a tidbit of something cool. I am sure the writers can come up with something better than the quickly written example I have given.

I agree, a little tidbit to tease the audience, and you don't use cameos to alienate viewers from the principal cast, you use the cameo character to push the regulars by making them look good in episode situations.

I cringed a little when Coulson quipped "A hammer." Seriously? I'm not sure if that was supposed to be cool or insightful but it just came off lame.

Whedon is better than this.

18-12, Does Not Suck is winning.

;)

-slym

Looks like the poll doesnt match up to the posts.

24-17 now in favor of Does Not Suck. Still, considering that we're all comic guys here, these are HORRIBLE numbers. If comic guys are roughly only 3 to 2 in favor of this show, that cannot bode well for it. 2c

Actually, I think the population here would tend to be more critical and find more things to carp at than the general population.

I have to agree that the show is a disappointment so far. It seems very old fashioned, almost feels like an 80's show.

Anyhow, did anyone else notice the reference to Earth 616 in the episode 2? I actually found that reference more interesting than the plot of the episode...

If there were a bunch of super powered people running around... like say a strong African American guy, a guy with incredible accuracy and athleticism, a whiz kid who can see electronic signals (a la Drummer from Planetary), a telepathic female and another female with heightened senses... why you'd have the now CANCELLED tv show called Alphas.

And who co-created Alphas? Zak Penn, who also wrote the original Avengers Screenplay that Joss Whedon hated.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/joss-whedon-pans-zak-penns-original-avengers-screenplay#~ojfDdqmwgLCp2H

Penn, of course, is no stranger to penning superhero movies - beginning with the "story by" credit he received on Bryan Singer's "X2", his resume includes the screenplays for "Elektra" (2005), "X-Men: The Last Stand" (2006) and 2008's "The Incredible Hulk" (though the last of those, as noted above, was virtually taken over by Norton during production).

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/articles/joss-whedon-pans-zak-penns-original-avengers-screenplay#iWbcY5vQzgAI9g22.99

If there were a bunch of super powered people running around... like say a strong African American guy, a guy with incredible accuracy and athleticism, a whiz kid who can see electronic signals (a la Drummer from Planetary), a telepathic female and another female with heightened senses... why you'd have the now CANCELLED tv show called Alphas.

And who co-created Alphas? Zak Penn, who also wrote the original Avengers Screenplay that Joss Whedon hated.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/joss-whedon-pans-zak-penns-original-avengers-screenplay#~ojfDdqmwgLCp2H

Penn, of course, is no stranger to penning superhero movies - beginning with the "story by" credit he received on Bryan Singer's "X2", his resume includes the screenplays for "Elektra" (2005), "X-Men: The Last Stand" (2006) and 2008's "The Incredible Hulk" (though the last of those, as noted above, was virtually taken over by Norton during production).

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/articles/joss-whedon-pans-zak-penns-original-avengers-screenplay#iWbcY5vQzgAI9g22.99

I thought Heroes was fantastic. (shrug)

Not sure if you are arguing the heroes as characters part or the writer's contribution.

Regardless, unlike early Heroes, Lost, or dozens of other successful tv. shows, I am not drawn into characters or storyline at all-- other than the fact they are affiliated with marvel. It is as if they were handed a silver platter of franchise success and transformed it into a dud right out of the gate.

Some thoughts from Steranko himself...

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/nick-fury-writer-slams-agents-h-e-l-174300325.html

;)

24-17 now in favor of Does Not Suck. Still, considering that we're all comic guys here, these are HORRIBLE numbers. If comic guys are roughly only 3 to 2 in favor of this show, that cannot bode well for it. 2c

Perhaps there should have been a "meh" option.

Nope - I wanted a "suck or doesn't suck" poll.

:D

-slym

;)

Perhaps there should have been a "meh" option.

Agreed.

A "It could be better" option

You may certainly start your own poll.

;)

-slym