• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Farlaine the Goblin : Self Published Comic Book
2 2

168 posts in this topic

magazine bag/board, like stuff of legends needed

one of the reasons i tossed the #1 back was that it is so long it was sticking out of the long box and was all bent up. probably would have given it a shot otherwise.

something to think about as a lot of collectors don't have magazine boxes (i happen to prefer them), so weird size stuff is a turn-off just for storage reasons....much like i stay away from magazine CGC slabs, they are very hard to store (unless you have 15 or 20 of them and i guess you can put them sideways in a magazine box)

good luck with the book. the competition for shelf space, particularly with small stores, is soooo hard. i remember my shop didn't put stuff of legends out on the stand after issue #1 because it was big...

Hi the blob!

Completely understandable!

We heard and read a lot of talk about size early on. "It's the Kiss of Death"! Same with B&W. Same with a horizontal format book.

But to be honest, we weren't too concerned with things like that on an unknown book; our audience was not the spinner racks at Barnes and Noble:)

From day 1 the thinking was that we were making the book for us; that realistically no publisher would touch it and at the end of the day we may be the only people reading it, so it should be what we wanted it to be. A big part of our influence was from old school European books like Asterix and Uncle Scrooge and 4 tiers; all we ended up doing was cutting that in half.

And most importantly the goal was to tell a good story - in the format that fits best. Farlaine is a wide character, constantly carrying a tree over his shoulder. Sure, we COULD have crammed him into a vertical format comic, but it would have been at the expense of the storytelling and always cutting parts of him off.

And as a fan of art, I thought it looked better to print it a little bigger:)

Apologies if it doesn't fit easily on the shelf, but the goal was to tell a good story, not make a good collectible:)

Best,

Studio Farlaine

one of the reasons i tossed the #1 back was that it is so long it was sticking out of the long box and was all bent up. probably would have given it a shot otherwise.

something to think about as a lot of collectors don't have magazine boxes (i happen to prefer them), so weird size stuff is a turn-off just for storage reasons....much like i stay away from magazine CGC slabs, they are very hard to store (unless you have 15 or 20 of them and i guess you can put them sideways in a magazine box)

good luck with the book. the competition for shelf space, particularly with small stores, is soooo hard. i remember my shop didn't put stuff of legends out on the stand after issue #1 because it was big...

Hi the blob!

We heard and read a lot of talk about size early on. "It's the Kiss of Death"! Same with B&W. Same with a horizontal format book.

But to be honest, we weren't too concerned with things like that on an unknown book; our audience was not the spinner racks at Barnes and Noble:)

From day 1 the thinking was that we were making the book for us; that realistically no publisher would touch it and at the end of the day we may be the only people reading it, so it should be what we wanted it to be. A big part of our influence was from old school European books like Asterix and Uncle Scrooge and 4 tiers; all we ended up doing was cutting that in half.

And most importantly the goal was to tell a good story - in the format that fits best. Farlaine is a wide character, constantly carrying a tree over his shoulder. Sure, we COULD have crammed him into a vertical format comic, but it would have been at the expense of the storytelling and always cutting parts of him off.

Apologies if it doesn't fit easily on the shelf, but the goal was to tell a good story, not make a good collectible:)

Best,

Studio Farlaine

As it should be.....can't wait to read it!!!

Hi the blob!

Best,

Studio Farlaine

I have alot more respect for this book after reading above.

Before I read this the first page read as the following. This thread was just spam as someone commented. Especially when you look at a couple of the posters.

collectors and speculators do a lot to increase the audience of a book...an escalation in value or seeing your comic book friends hunt for something makes you think there is something good there, maybe....

Of course it could be watson and holmes and no one really understands how that book went up in value...

If you want to increase the audience I think it's important to think about what a comic book audience wants....

I think it would be better to say that the necessities of the art trumpted sizing considerations. But I would say that it's a mistake to say that there was no consideration about what collectors would want...

Hi the blob!

Best,

Studio Farlaine

:hi: ordered issue one - why not (shrug)

Predicting it will be better than Chin Music, Ten Grand, and Brodie Troll lol

I think it would be better to say that the necessities of the art trumpted sizing considerations. But I would say that it's a mistake to say that there was no consideration about what collectors would want...

Hi Ranx!

All I was trying to say was that the goal, first and foremost, was crafting a good story. Whether the book fit nicely with others or was ideal for collectors was not the driving concern(compared to say, a company mass producing 3D covers...).

That said, I personally think this is a gorgeous book for collectors! It's a sturdy cardstock cover that won't bend or crumple, nice glossy paper, and it still fits in an existing mass produced bag. Plus it's perfect bound, which from what I understand generally means it's easier to get a higher grade.

So I think there are some tradeoffs that work in both directions here:)

comic collectors can be weird, even those who actively read and enjoy their comics rather than just hoarding them and filing them away or flipping them. you have folks who do not collect magazine-size comics -- even though some of the best work of the 70's and 80's is in them -- simply because of the size! (and to a lesser extent being B&W, but mainly due to the size... yes, bizarre, i know)

same is true of those long basketball cards from the late 60's...my friend who owned a comic/card shop always noted what a tough sell those were simply because they didn't fit in standard boxes --- same reason with magazines

with that said, more power to you, but i wonder if it won't cost you any more to print it so that sideways it fits in a SA or GA bag and it isn't too long for a standard comic box. i think you can get your extra page space without scaring away the "standardists"

I happen to use magazine sized short boxes for my comic books thus this isn't a big deal about fitting. And if I have to chase down a few shops on the magazine sized bags & boards I feel it'll be worth it. Some collectors that are size specific like you said will pass on it but I think this makes it even more unique, enjoyable to read, and collect.

Hi Ranx!

All I was trying to say was that the goal, first and foremost, was crafting a good story. Whether the book fit nicely with others or was ideal for collectors was not the driving concern(compared to say, a company mass producing 3D covers...).

That said, I personally think this is a gorgeous book for collectors! It's a sturdy cardstock cover that won't bend or crumple, nice glossy paper, and it still fits in an existing mass produced bag. Plus it's perfect bound, which from what I understand generally means it's easier to get a higher grade.

Yup I think I was just using you to express my discontent and the antipathy towards speculators...I think I have to say that you should never sacrifice the art to interests of the form/syntax...it would be like an accountant throwing away money so that the books looked neater...

Hi Ranx!

Yup I think I was just using you to express my discontent and the antipathy towards speculators...I think I have to say that you should never sacrifice the art to interests of the form/syntax...it would be like an accountant throwing away money so that the books looked neater...

Well said! :golfclap:

From the online images this book looks fantastic. Can't wait to get my copies and read it!

A couple reviews has trickled in so far. Both 4/5. (thumbs u

http://comicbastards.com/review-farlaine-the-goblin-book-1-the-tinklands/

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/comics/farlaine-the-goblin-1-review-an-anonymous-creation/60032

Glad to hear you're looking forward to it!

I will say that #1 is not my favorite...both 2 and 3 are far better stories, and #3 is really when the art gets closer to the covers. But #1 sets things up and gets it rolling...

I happen to use magazine sized short boxes for my comic books thus this isn't a big deal about fitting. And if I have to chase down a few shops on the magazine sized bags & boards I feel it'll be worth it. Some collectors that are size specific like you said will pass on it but I think this makes it even more unique, enjoyable to read, and collect.

I sure would like to find a place that sell bags and boards for magazines. I am not sure wwhere to get new CGC bags at other than bags unlimited.