• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Large Volume of Neal Adams Art lost

28 posts in this topic

small commercial value

I kind of chuckled at that, until I realized that stolen art can't exactly popup in the HA without it being noticed.

And this gets me thinking...has there ever been an inkling of a comic OA black market? I am not talking about art "lost" in the '60s thru '80s, but stolen art finding its way into the hands of those who don't mind owning stolen art.

small commercial value

I kind of chuckled at that, until I realized that stolen art can't exactly popup in the HA without it being noticed.

And this gets me thinking...has there ever been an inkling of a comic OA black market? I am not talking about art "lost" in the '60s thru '80s, but stolen art finding its way into the hands of those who don't mind owning stolen art.

But this does describe a fair amount of silver age Marvel art, doesn't it?

There has always been an underground market for comic art.

Comic artists and other company workers walking out with stuff that wasn't theirs and selling it to dealers and collectors

artists assistants helping themselves to art from the archives for a quick buck

Agents selling artwork and forgetting the money goes to the artists not themselves

Outright theft from museums (still talking comic art)

Estate thefts, theft from collectors, bogus deals to get art and reneg payment, you name it.

in the case of Neal people dealt his art in secret because the maniac called everything he ever drew stolen even if it was sold by his agent. That's over now but there are still shady corners and dark alleys in this hobby.

"Nighttime driver", not "nightmare driver"

Reading, it's not for everyone.

must be close to halloween, you crawled out.

"Nighttime driver", not "nightmare driver"

Reading, it's not for everyone.

must be close to halloween, you crawled out.

More of a "slither" or "slink", but crawl works.