• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most CGC copies you own of one book.

105 posts in this topic

Let's put it this way... If I were going to collect high grade copies of a Silver Age Marvel, this book might be at the bottom of the list. Even pre-eBay I was seeing tons of these in NM. He has a long way to go to corner the market!

I'm equally stumped. I don't know why a person would bother to do such a thing. Investment-wise, it looks like a sure loser, and, sad to say, the fellow who put this crazy run of books together is largely responsible (i.e. proving to the collecting community how readily available this book is in high grade). So no, I totally don't get it. It just seems totally eccentric and random simply for the sake of being totally eccentric and random.

Maybe this has one of those "this was my first comic as a child" stories behind it...????

Let's put it this way... If I were going to collect high grade copies of a Silver Age Marvel, this book might be at the bottom of the list. Even pre-eBay I was seeing tons of these in NM. He has a long way to go to corner the market!

Yeah, but he's on his way!

Good Luck, Cal 893crossfingers-thumb.gifhi.gif

I'm equally stumped. I don't know why a person would bother to do such a thing. Investment-wise, it looks like a sure loser, and, sad to say, the fellow who put this crazy run of books together is largely responsible (i.e. proving to the collecting community how readily available this book is in high grade). So no, I totally don't get it. It just seems totally eccentric and random simply for the sake of being totally eccentric and random.

Maybe this has one of those "this was my first comic as a child" stories behind it...????

It's some sort of fixation. He's a hoarder. Whether it's a bad investment, it depends on when he started buying them. They go for quite a bit these days like all readily-available 68's.

I've got 500 copies of this...

th3_14228630.jpg

... but I figure at a nickel a piece, I'll see a nice return someday.

Actually, I met Cal at the San Diego Comic Con this year. I was working with a friend of mine(LCS) at his both. I recognized Cal from pictures he had posted on these boards with him holding the Iron Man/Sub-Mariner's he had purchased (that and the fact he was looking over around 3-4 copies of that very book when I noticed him).

I had to ask him "Why this book?" He said when he was young he had a set allowance and had already picked up his limit of books when he noticed he didn't have his usual TOS or TTA. The store clerk told him that was because this book came out. He apparently did not get any additional allowance & went without the book. He's been collecting them ever since.

I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this, as he was a nice guy & we had a nice conversation. I wish he well. hi.gif

20 years from now, if you want a copy of this book (in any condition you want, slabbed or raw) you know where to go!

Actually, I met Cal at the San Diego Comic Con this year. I was working with a friend of mine(LCS) at his both. I recognized Cal from pictures he had posted on these boards with him holding the Iron Man/Sub-Mariner's he had purchased (that and the fact he was looking over around 3-4 copies of that very book when I noticed him).

I had to ask him "Why this book?" He said when he was young he had a set allowance and had already picked up his limit of books when he noticed he didn't have his usual TOS or TTA. The store clerk told him that was because this book came out. He apparently did not get any additional allowance & went without the book. He's been collecting them ever since.

I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this, as he was a nice guy & we had a nice conversation. I wish he well. hi.gif

20 years from now, if you want a copy of this book (in any condition you want, slabbed or raw) you know where to go!

Like I mentioned, he also believed there were only 3,000 copies of this book left in existence, and I think he WAS trying to corner the market.

I did a quick search and found this post from Cal:

But saving the best part for last, yes, when I was a boy, I did not have the money to add this Issue to my monthly take of comic books. I only had $1.00 to spend in those days and I was told to put that Issue back on the rack. Marvel just started to publish many more Issues as the Tales to Astonish/Tales of Suspense were discontinued. That day I will never forget. 35 years later, my finances are changed, and I can buy as many as I want. Price is not that big of a concern - if it is NM+, I will spend a few days' pay to get it.

CAL hi.gif

I miss Cal. Hope he comes back soon! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Ummm, I don't speak for him, but maybe he does it because he really likes the book. I don't collect strictly for investments, or else I wouldn't buy a comic newer than 5 years. mad.gif