• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me understand IH 181...

70 posts in this topic

IMO HULK 180 is the 1st appearance of Wolvie and CGC has it wrong and the community has it wrong. Also look at all the 9.8 181's compared to 180

Couldn't agree more.

And the fact that I own a 9.8 180 has zero influence on my opinion... :whistle:

People consider Avengers 55 as the 1st full appearance of Ultron because in 54 he's unnamed, and cloaked until the final cameo reveal.

People consider Hulk 181 as the first full appearance of Wolverine cause in 180 he's just a last panel cameo. 181 has Wolverine on the cover, and a full story.

People consider Conan 23 as the first full appearance of Red Sonja, but Conan 24 is worth almost as much in highgrade. Conan 24 has Red on the cover, and a full Red story.

New Mutants 86 Cable has a cameo, in NM87 he's part of the story and on the cover. NM87 is worth more.

X-men 282 is considered Bishop's 1st appearance even though he only appears in one panel (CGC notes it as a cameo). X-men 283 has lots of Bishop and a full story (and CGC notes it as Bishops 1st full appearance).

but the market considers X-men 282 the more valuable.

Why?

it comes down to the cover. Show up on the cover, and the market pays attention. Maybe this has become even more prevalant in the slabbed era, but I think it was still somewhat present before CGC came around.

new x men 128 vs 129

Main character is on the cover of 129 so why is 128 more desired? (shrug)

Let me see if I can think of any more things that you guys may have covered in the 6 years since you registered that I can bring back up.

Got any scanner questions?

No, but I need to get my mom to show me how to put a long box together.

-slym

new x men 128 vs 129

Main character is on the cover of 129 so why is 128 more desired? (shrug)

I think those two books definitely "go together." Interesting point about those two, although Fantomex does appear throughout 128, not just cameo last panel, so it's hard to argue that 128 isn't his first appearance. Or, put another way, you can't say that 129 is his first "full" appearance, since it's not--it's his second appearance and his first cover appearance. A Fantomex fan will have both, though.

(IH 180 is Wolverine's first appearance with no other qualifiers necessary. IH 181 has a better cover but needs some other qualifier to describe it as anything other than Wolverine's second appearance. A Wolverine fan will have both, though.)

[i own all four books mentioned in this response, so I'm trying to be unbiased...]

Let's micro trim and press an Eastern Color File, Ewert copy of Hulk 180 and submit it to CGC Economy, track the progress and let us see if the encapsulate it in a bumpy inner well with a broken post. We will have nothing else to talk about for months.

Let's micro trim and press an Eastern Color File, Ewert copy of Hulk 180 and submit it to CGC Economy, track the progress and let us see if the encapsulate it in a bumpy inner well with a broken post. We will have nothing else to talk about for months.

I think I might put a slip of paper in the middle of one of the comics I am going to submit with a dirty joke written on it. Just to see what happens.

-slym

I consider my first appearance to be at Maimonides Hospital, even though my first full appearance and introduction was back at this house in Bay Ridge.

IMO, Hulk 180 is in fact Wolvies first appearance. He is not shrouded,cloaked, or represented by a chameleon type character. He jumps out at us in full color.

The community has decided to go with 181 instead, because the word cameo is popular now. But obvious is obvious. 180 first.

No matter how much you paid for that 181.

Now, Strange Tales 114 might be a tough one when discussing this type of thing. A decent argument could be made that it is the first silver age appearance of Captain America. But a much better argument could be made that it is not. For my money, it is not.

Fans are fickle in this hobby. Cameos are sometimes considered firsts and sometimes not considered first. There seems to be no rule of thumb and it just gets sorted out over time.

I won't even get into how I feel about advertisement pictures of coming new characters, in books published before their first story appearance.

How about "first appearance" means actually that? "First Appearance.

# 180 is the 1st cameo appearance of Wolverine.

# 181 is the 1st full appearance of Wolverine.

There is no doubt that # 180 is his first appearance but the general collecting community has decided that # 181 is the more appealing issue to own.

It's as simple as that. The endless debates about it baffle me far more than the subject itself.