• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck's having a sale

123 posts in this topic

I've actually become a Chuck supporter believe it or not. Best packing and shipping system going, best selection of Moderns, he seems to have gotten the message that his books have been way overpriced and has been on a 3 month continuous sale (record sales every week, go figure). Seems to be selling more slabbs and I picked up a few beauties dirt cheap.I was thinking about buy some more reader copies of TTA and TOS as they are marked way down.

Hey, you're an adult and will do what you choose to, but I for one would never buy from the guy. Not just because he has no grasp of 'fair market value' and cannot grade worth a lick, but more so because he's such an incredible hype-master. Anyone who spends so much time painting such a sympathetic picture of himself has something to hide, IMHO.

From the Church (ahem, "Mile High") pedigree to the MH II 'collection' to the Dallas Stephens "pedigree" to his self-congratulatory claims about establishing Conan # 3 as "low distribution" in the OS Guide, I'm really hard pressed to find one redeeming aspect to Chuck's business practices. I'm not even convinced he actually likes comic books - I think he likes making money at other people's expense.

And if I'm not already banned from buying from Mile High, I certainly strive to be. Please Chuck, don't let me EVER purchase anything from you in a moment of weakness of inebriation!

If nothing else Chuck is a wonderful resource for cover images! Stuff that nobody else wants to buy is often a good deal. I have a wide range of interests and look for the bargains, sometimes I have to look harder than others. I am starting to develop a hankering for pottery too for some reason. Chuck's daughter is hot too! I am a ramblin'

Chuck's daughter is hot too! I am a ramblin'

Have you seen her? I've met her and she is a very nice person, but "hot"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hot too generous?

IMO anyway. But I guess it's all subjective. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way she looks, just nothing special either. Let me put it this way, I wouldn't want to see her in the babe test thread.

However, I'll say again, she seems like a really good person and very friendly. She raises a lot of money for comic charities and donates a lot of time to help our hobby in meaningful ways. Let me put it this way, I wouldn't want to see her in the babe test thread.

For the guy who moved the entire Church collection, his supply of golden age stuff is woefully unimpressive and tremendously overpriced (you can buy a slabbed, mid-grade Strange Adventures #1 from him for more than Metro's asking for the highest graded copy from the Cosmic Aeroplane pedigree!). It's like he's desperately trying to make up for the fact that he sold the Church collection over a decade too soon.

What did the dude buy with the money from those Church books? Buy a zillion copies of Spawn or something? For a guy who's supposed to be such a trailblazer in the industry, I can' t think of a more horrendous business move. I mean, c'mon, the collection waltzed into his door for pennies, he bought them, and then failed to have the good foresight to hold onto them. This is a visionary, pioneer business move? Why didn't he sit on those Church books? He'd be on the cover of Forbes today.

While I'm sure it was amazingly cool to stumble onto those Church books, I'd hate to wake up every morning and say to myself, "my God, I gave away a fortune."

When you compare what those books are going for these days as opposed to 10 years ago, it's hard to figure out whether or not Chuck did that much better than the yahoos who sold him the Church collection at cover price in the first place.

When you compare what those books are going for these days as opposed to 10 years ago, it's hard to figure out whether or not Chuck did that much better than the yahoos who sold him the Church collection at cover price in the first place.

He bought the collection in the last 70's. He probably sold most well over two decades ago.

He made a huge profit, so to fault him for not holding on to them for another twenty years just doesn't seem fair.

You all can dog him all you want but I've been getting some great deals through Mile High over the last couple of months...

Jim

Me too. I just got a great deal on some magazines that were undergraded and priced at about 1/3 FMV. yay.gif

Shipping was fast and packing was perfect. thumbsup2.gif

IMO you can purchase off Mile High, there is convenience in it, I'm sure im not alone in the buying of large lots that always leave pesky holes that can't be filled on Ebay. HOWEVER YOU MUST OBSERVE THE MILE HIGH RULES.

1. NO MH RAW IN HIGH GRADE BEFORE 1980 - IT SIMPLY DOESNT EXIST.

2. BE CAREFUL WITH MH RAW IN COPPER AGE- PRICE YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY.

3. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PLACING THINGS IN CART - THE MH INVOICE WILL BE GENERATED BEFORE YOU GIVE THE CREDIT CARD INFO. SO IF YOU DECIDE, NO DIDNT REALLY WANT THAT BOOK AND TAKE IT OFF, IT WILL SOMETIMES STAY ON THE LIST AND BE BILLED ONCE THE SYSTEM GETS YOUR CREDIT CARD.

4 DISPUTING A GRADE - SEE ITEM #1

Having said all that if you are looking for filler stuff - MH is conveinient way to fill holes in that want list and shipping over a certain amount is free. But for keys or pre-late 70s in anything above FINE looks elsewhere or suffer the Rob React syndrome. foreheadslap.gif

I'm not sure this is true. You just have to know which books to shop for...

Yep. The mags I got were Spectacular Spider-Man #2s from 1968 (one is a 9.2/9.4, and the other is a 9.6/9.8) and one Vampirella from 1982 (about a 9.4/9.6).

IMO you can purchase off Mile High, there is convenience in it, I'm sure im not alone in the buying of large lots that always leave pesky holes that can't be filled on Ebay. HOWEVER YOU MUST OBSERVE THE MILE HIGH RULES.

2. BE CAREFUL WITH MH RAW IN COPPER AGE- PRICE YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY.

3. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PLACING THINGS IN CART - THE MH INVOICE WILL BE GENERATED BEFORE YOU GIVE THE CREDIT CARD INFO. SO IF YOU DECIDE, NO DIDNT REALLY WANT THAT BOOK AND TAKE IT OFF, IT WILL SOMETIMES STAY ON THE LIST AND BE BILLED ONCE THE SYSTEM GETS YOUR CREDIT CARD.

4 DISPUTING A GRADE - SEE ITEM #1

Having said all that if you are looking for filler stuff - MH is conveinient way to fill holes in that want list and shipping over a certain amount is free. But for keys or pre-late 70s in anything above FINE looks elsewhere or suffer the Rob React syndrome. foreheadslap.gif

Okay, that's it... Jason, we're gonna get you some help, buddy! Don't worry, the MH rehab only takes a week, and relapses are fairly infrequent makepoint.gif

You guys are like crack addicts who keep buying from the pusher who backed over your dog a year ago... you've got to move on and find another source for your fix!

I realize Chuckles has great selection. I understand that he occasionally holds sales that bring his astronomical prices down in the realm of inflated reality. I appreciate that some of us don't live near major metro areas with conventions and shops. But still, there's gotta be a better way 893whatthe.gif

I'm not sure this is true. You just have to know which books to shop for...

Yep. The mags I got were Spectacular Spider-Man #2s from 1968 (one is a 9.2/9.4, and the other is a 9.6/9.8) and one Vampirella from 1982 (about a 9.4/9.6).

Well Scott I still believe that this is the exception rather than the rule - I don't have empirical evidence but I think that Rob's Experience is far closer to the norm than yours - though thumbsup2.gif on the books.

And Garth - I'm usually buying that modern tripe again to fill in reading gaps, Im talking Alpha Flight (hey I'm Canadian) and Saga Swampy's in the low 100s. And your right I live in Monterey - throw me a bone here, or a fan to blow the fog back out to sea. insane.gif