• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck's having a sale

123 posts in this topic

was he? Dont recall even what he looked like...but I was afraid Id get called on my statement of "fact"!

Course If I was Ray Kroc and I was getting old after creating a huge (though evil) worldwide corporate giant like MickeyDs, Id guess Id get a bu=it egotistic too as I neared my end. Just to make SURE people remembered it was ME what done it!!

I dont think Kroc and Chucke are really a fair comparison of achievement...

Aman, it's the sign outside of every McD's that says "over 30 billion sold".

That's Ray Kroc's statement, although less offensive than Chuckles "King of Comics/ I found the Chuch Collection". It's pretty much the same thing. hi.gifflowerred.gif

Was that Kroc's idea, because of his ego? or just something the marketing dept came up with? Either way, to me that comes across as a sales tool and not bragging about a personal triumph. Did Kroc ever write an autobiography? If he did and in it he went on and on about what a genious he was and how HE created his empire then YES I could see the parallel between them.

But still, there's gotta be a better way 893whatthe.gif

Why?

He's a hypester? Sure.

He's overpriced? Check.

Jim

Well I have to disagree on the pricing as in the last three months I think Chuck has realized that he was losing tons of bsuiness buy ignoring pricing and ever since he went on these 80% sales he has had continuous record numbers. I know that's when I started to buy from him and I have probably made 10 orders since. Check out some of Chuck's slabbed prices right now and they are way cheaper than certain dealers that never get flack on these boards for their pricing (and they are generally way more expensive). I'm looking at one book that Chuck is selling that is going for almost half of what the competition is selling them for. Sure Chuck was overpriced but I think people need to check out his stuff recently because there are a lot of great deals to be had.

Well, I don't think THIS represents much of a bargain, even after discount. Or THIS. Or, I dunno, THIS.

I went through at random 20 -30 CGC'd items on their site and they were all about double (some considerably more than that) the GPA average (either 90 day or annual), after discount.

Granted, that doesn't make MH a bad dealer and doesn't reflect on his customer service. But competitively priced? I'm afraid not. The search continues......

I got curious too, and looked over their CGCs (since I wouldnt trust their grading on Silver or Bronze) And I saw a lot of serious markdowns on their original sill prices. I was encouraged that they had gotten the message from th emarketplace that only having a bunch of unsold inventory can give.

But yeah, there were still plenty of overpriced "Hail Mary"-priced books up there.

Well, I don't think THIS represents much of a bargain, even after discount.

Granted, that doesn't make MH a bad dealer and doesn't reflect on his customer service. But competitively priced? I'm afraid not. The search continues......

27_laughing.gif That is outrageous. $665 for a FF#48 CGC 6.0 with CR-OW pages? There's a CGC 7.0 WP on ComicLink for $450 and a CGC 8.0 OW-W sold for $515 just a few months ago. That book is priced at more than twice FMV for that book with CR-OW pages. foreheadslap.gif

Why?

He's a hypester? Sure.

He's overpriced? Check.

Jim

Well I have to disagree on the pricing as in the last three months I think Chuck has realized that he was losing tons of bsuiness buy ignoring pricing and ever since he went on these 80% sales he has had continuous record numbers. I know that's when I started to buy from him and I have probably made 10 orders since. Check out some of Chuck's slabbed prices right now and they are way cheaper than certain dealers that never get flack on these boards for their pricing (and they are generally way more expensive). I'm looking at one book that Chuck is selling that is going for almost half of what the competition is selling them for. Sure Chuck was overpriced but I think people need to check out his stuff recently because there are a lot of great deals to be had.

Surfer,

The only problem I have with Chuck is that only took him 27 years to figure out that if he joined the rest of the world with his pricing, he'd sell more books. He's treated all his books as if they were Church Pedigre's. It's about time he came around to the real market ! makepoint.gif

You're okay Surfer, but I just had to give MHO. hi.gifflowerred.gif

27_laughing.gif That is outrageous. $665 for a FF#48 CGC 6.0 with CR-OW pages? There's a CGC 7.0 WP on ComicLink for $450 and a CGC 8.0 OW-W sold for $515 just a few months ago. That book is priced at more than twice FMV for that book with CR-OW pages. foreheadslap.gif

The price is $466.00. You forgot to add the 30% on top of the already cut price. Yes, The book is still too high and not all of the books are good buys, but if you factor in the extra 30%, some books are decently priced.

I don't think people get my point about not caring about Chuck's ego. Maybe this will help clear things up. I live by the motto, "BUY THE CGC BOOK AND NOT THE EGOMANIACAL COMIC DEALER!" smirk.gif

Business is business. CGC neutralizes any subjectiveness to grading. If I purchase a CGC book off of Milehigh's website, I'm not even going to be talking to Chuck. So why would I care about his exploits?

The price is $466.00. You forgot to add the 30% on top of the already cut price. Yes, The book is still too high and not all of the books are good buys, but if you factor in the extra 30%, some books are decently priced.

I don't think people get my point about not caring about Chuck's ego. Maybe this will help clear things up. I live by the motto, "BUY THE CGC BOOK AND NOT THE EGOMANIACAL COMIC DEALER!" smirk.gif

Business is business. CGC neutralizes any subjectiveness to grading. If I purchase a CGC book off of Milehigh's website, I'm not even going to be talking to Chuck. So why would I care about his exploits?

But,....the Ego's just so big ! We are just bugs compared to that Ego !

"EGO: The Living Planet" devil.gif

Why?

He's a hypester? Sure.

He's overpriced? Check.

Jim

Surfer,

The only problem I have with Chuck is that only took him 27 years to figure out that if he joined the rest of the world with his pricing, he'd sell more books. He's treated all his books as if they were Church Pedigre's. It's about time he came around to the real market ! makepoint.gif

You're okay Surfer, but I just had to give MHO. hi.gifflowerred.gif

Hey no problem, your right about him taking forever to listen to the market and adjust his prices. There are deals there, maybe not for some of the major keys stuff but they are there. I still think he is in liquidation mode as given his recent health problems he is probably looking to ramp up sales figures so he can justify a high sale price to one of his senior staff members who might be looking to take it over. Just a hunch but given that he is more and more into pottery and growing "weeds" I bet he is planning on being semi-retired in the near future. thumbsup2.gif

Received my package yesterday, and overall I'm very happy. They had everything on the list except one comic, and the books were sent extremely quickly and were packaged nicely. Their ordering system was very easy, and they keep you apprised of your order along the way.

I ordered only NM/MT books, and most were graded accurately, but 2 would probably only grade in the VF/NM range.

Again, overall I was impressed and would recommend buying from Mile High. If you're looking to receive strict NM or MT books, you might be disappointed, but if you don't mind the grade being off by a tad, you'll be happy.

Here's what I ordered and what I paid (prices after the 30% discount) (they're all raw):

Alien Worlds #4 - $2.10

Alien Encounters #8 - $1.30

Archie #443 - $3.60

Captain America #284 - $3.00

Elflord #1 - $2.00

Twisted Tales #1 - $.90

Twisted Tales #3 - $.90