• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

So wait - the MOS18 5th print was printed two years later in 1994? Why does the CGC label say 12/92 like the 1st print then?

I mean I get that CGC screws up labels sometimes - but surely they could get the print date correct?

CGC uses the dates as they appear in the books, and some reprints (like these) don't change the original dates.

One might think a tad bit of research would be in order for a professional grading company. :baiting:

Let's not get lost in the weeds. Publication month/year is all that matters. Reprint dates aren't even generally made public (except in cases like Bone, interestingly enough), much less have any bearing on the original publication date. For a reprint to have a new date on the label, it would have to have that new date somewhere on the book, and would probably have to be substantively different from the original (like the EC reprints of the 1970's.)

Was MOS #18 5th printed in 1994? Probably. The first "DC Universe" UPC logo books have a Jan 1994 (printed in Nov 1993) cover date. But it doesn't matter, because the cover date is still Dec 92, and that didn't change. Trying to figure out the "actual date" would be a task beyond the scope of CGC.

RMA, not directly related but I've got a question for you....which I'm sure you know the answer to.

I actually *remember* you breaking this down but I can't find where you posted it.

What are the top 5 (or 10, if you want to go that far) toughest books to find, in the cumulative DOS & ROS storylines....as far as reprints and DCU logo reprintings are concerned.

to find because the ROS DCU's were (exclusively or mainly) sold in prepacks.

I know JLA 69 4th is fairly tough...Adv 497 3rd...MOS 19 3rd....

But I could have sworn you posting *somewhere* on this board, that Action 686 (DCU logo) was the hardest one and that even you have yet to come across a copy.

Is my memory correct?

The thread you seek lives in the modern forum.

It's nice to have minions...

:whistle:

:shy:

lol

So wait - the MOS18 5th print was printed two years later in 1994? Why does the CGC label say 12/92 like the 1st print then?

I mean I get that CGC screws up labels sometimes - but surely they could get the print date correct?

CGC uses the dates as they appear in the books, and some reprints (like these) don't change the original dates.

One might think a tad bit of research would be in order for a professional grading company. :baiting:

Let's not get lost in the weeds. Publication month/year is all that matters. Reprint dates aren't even generally made public (except in cases like Bone, interestingly enough), much less have any bearing on the original publication date. For a reprint to have a new date on the label, it would have to have that new date somewhere on the book, and would probably have to be substantively different from the original (like the EC reprints of the 1970's.)

Was MOS #18 5th printed in 1994? Probably. The first "DC Universe" UPC logo books have a Jan 1994 (printed in Nov 1993) cover date. But it doesn't matter, because the cover date is still Dec 92, and that didn't change. Trying to figure out the "actual date" would be a task beyond the scope of CGC.

RMA, not directly related but I've got a question for you....which I'm sure you know the answer to.

I actually *remember* you breaking this down but I can't find where you posted it.

What are the top 5 (or 10, if you want to go that far) toughest books to find, in the cumulative DOS & ROS storylines....as far as reprints and DCU logo reprintings are concerned.

to find because the ROS DCU's were (exclusively or mainly) sold in prepacks.

I know JLA 69 4th is fairly tough...Adv 497 3rd...MOS 19 3rd....

But I could have sworn you posting *somewhere* on this board, that Action 686 (DCU logo) was the hardest one and that even you have yet to come across a copy.

Is my memory correct?

The thread you seek lives in the modern forum.

It's nice to have minions...

:shy:

lol

I do have to hand it to you.You definitely know Copper Age books, very well.

On that note, I couldn't find that particular post of yours.

Mind clueing one of your faithful minions in?

thought I would post this here as well to see if anyone knew the answer to this Doomsday related question:

Hoping someone can help me figure out the continuity here. Is Action Comics 696 the first time we learn that Doomsday is still alive/has come back from the dead? Does Action Comics 696 lead directly into Superman/Doomsday: hunter/Prey?

Page 22 of Action Comics 696 shows (I believe for the first time) Doomsday alive again floating on an asteroid through space - I can only assume that this is the asteroid that is picked up in space in Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey #1 and brought to apokolips where the rest of the story unfolds.

But I wanted to confirm that Action Comics 696 is the first time that we Doomsday alive again and that it leads in Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey

Doomsday is seen alive at the end of Superman Vol 2 #78.

Cyborg Superman breaks into Cadmus, steals Doomsday's body, takes him to outer space, binds him to an asteroid and throws it into deep space on a trajectory where he should never encounter another civilisation. On the last page we see Doomsday laughing.

This was about 8 months before Action Comics #696.

Bah - how did I forget Superman 78 :( Thanks for the assist (thumbs u

Superman 78 was so important, it was one of the first books that CGC ever slabbed. :sumo:

0010955001_1200.jpg

lol

Hahahahaha

That would be a cool book to own (the sample CGC slab that is - not even sure if they were sold)

Well I just got this beauty in the mail last night - which completes my MOS18 CGC 9.8 set (1st Print Direct, 1st Print Newsstand, 2nd, 3rd and 4th print)! I am choosing right now to ignore the 5th print since it was printed a couple years later - i.e., not in the same time period of printings 1 through 4 - which I almost see as variants (but who knows maybe I will cave and get a 5th print :) )

MOS18%204th%20Print_zpsphvmwyh7.jpg

MOS18%20Printings_zpsq5j3gxqr.jpg

Well I just got this beauty in the mail last night - which completes my MOS18 CGC 9.8 set (1st Print Direct, 1st Print Newsstand, 2nd, 3rd and 4th print)! I am choosing right now to ignore the 5th print since it was printed a couple years later - i.e., not in the same time period of printings 1 through 4 - which I almost see as variants (but who knows maybe I will cave and get a 5th print :) )

MOS18%204th%20Print_zpsphvmwyh7.jpg

MOS18%20Printings_zpsq5j3gxqr.jpg

Sweet. To me, that cover is absolutely iconic.

Well I just got this beauty in the mail last night - which completes my MOS18 CGC 9.8 set (1st Print Direct, 1st Print Newsstand, 2nd, 3rd and 4th print)! I am choosing right now to ignore the 5th print since it was printed a couple years later - i.e., not in the same time period of printings 1 through 4 - which I almost see as variants...

Nice collection (thumbs u

...(but who knows maybe I will cave and get a 5th print :) )

Go on... you know you want it ;)

Well I just got this beauty in the mail last night - which completes my MOS18 CGC 9.8 set (1st Print Direct, 1st Print Newsstand, 2nd, 3rd and 4th print)! I am choosing right now to ignore the 5th print since it was printed a couple years later - i.e., not in the same time period of printings 1 through 4 - which I almost see as variants (but who knows maybe I will cave and get a 5th print :)

Nice collection. But you need the 5th print. No need to keep answering the question "hey, where's the 5th print" whenever you show off the collection lol

Well I just got this beauty in the mail last night - which completes my MOS18 CGC 9.8 set (1st Print Direct, 1st Print Newsstand, 2nd, 3rd and 4th print)! I am choosing right now to ignore the 5th print since it was printed a couple years later - i.e., not in the same time period of printings 1 through 4 - which I almost see as variants (but who knows maybe I will cave and get a 5th print :)

Nice collection. But you need the 5th print. No need to keep answering the question "hey, where's the 5th print" whenever you show off the collection lol

Ya I will probably cave and get the 5th print - but the 4th print has always been the pinnacle MOS18 to me (besides a CGC 9.9 first print)

Ya I will probably cave and get the 5th print - but the 4th print has always been the pinnacle MOS18 to me (besides a CGC 9.9 first print)

This makes me appreciate my 4th print a bit more!

I just got this in the mail the other day!

P1020023_zpsqifjnwgv.jpg

It's been a while since #17 appeared in this thread.

Very nice! I need to get a MOS17 .... but then I will also need a 2nd print .... and a newsstand 1st print ..... blargh

I just got this in the mail the other day!

P1020023_zpsqifjnwgv.jpg

It's been a while since #17 appeared in this thread.

Very nice! I need to get a MOS17 .... but then I will also need a 2nd print .... and a newsstand 1st print ..... blargh

You might as well, prices appear to have cooled on #17, first and second prints!