• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROUND 16 : Contest

78 posts in this topic

We RUUULE, Hook!!! for a day at least!

but wow! This book could have gotten anything from a 7.0 to a 9.2 and I would have just shaken my head. How impossible is it to grade a brand new looking book that has sufferred a corner ding and a few slight other issues???

I've mentioned it before , and I'll say it again. The CGC is grading very very lenient as of late. They have loosened up there grading standards. Im seriously considering re-submitting a few books. Anyone else think there grading has loosened as of late??

I apologize for not submitting the grade for our team today, I forgot all about the deadline. Solar submitted a grade of 9.0 right on the money, sorry. Ty

Slacker! stooges.gifflowerred.gifhi.gif

I think that early on with CGC that too many folks were trying so hard for those elusive 9.6, 9.8, & 10.0s that they forget that a few minor dings on a book doesn't make it undesirable. Sure it's worth less than an uber-graded book but they are not worthless.

When I first came to this board I read the horror stories of how strict CGC grading was. But, now after a bit more investigation it seems that the majority of books that were a disappointment to the book's owners had some previously unseen flaw that lower the grade.

Right now CGC grading appears to vary a 1/2 to full grade point. Just like most of us self graders with years of experience. That is not to demean them....because they have more knowledge about detecting restoration in their pinkies then in my whole body. They are what they are...3rd party graders who don't have the emotional bias that the comic's owner does. That gives their opinion weight...but as we know the team of graders can have differing thoughts on a book. Kinda like our "team" concept for this contest. For this round 1 guy says 8.0...1-9.0...and 1-9.2. In other words we felt it has an easy range of 1 full point...and settled on an 8.5 grade. Don't CGC team graders do a similar weighing of their team's opinion. I

Expanding on blutobc's post...I believe that there have been adjustments in the expectations of folks who submit their books to CGC.

In other words, after a few disappointing initial submissions, people become more attuned to CGCs grading standards and probably don't suffer the "grade shock" they experienced after getting their first subs back. That was my experience.

So it's quite possible that CGCs grading is pretty much as it always was, it's just that we've gotten better at evaluating a book before we send it in, thus we get grades closer to what we expected, thus the resulting perception that CGC is grading easier.

What's funny is that almost everyone on the board thinks that all ages of books should be graded the same.

From what I could see, the book had:

1) One spine stress line

2) One corner bump

If that's all a GA or early SA book had, would everyone call it less than 9.0? I don't think so.

Expanding on blutobc's post...I believe that there have been adjustments in the expectations of folks who submit their books to CGC.

In other words, after a few disappointing initial submissions, people become more attuned to CGCs grading standards and probably don't suffer the "grade shock" they experienced after getting their first subs back. That was my experience.

So it's quite possible that CGCs grading is pretty much as it always was, it's just that we've gotten better at evaluating a book before we send it in, thus we get grades closer to what we expected, thus the resulting perception that CGC is grading easier.

To me, a book with a rumpled, accordion-like cover (such as the one we just saw), is NOT "Near Mint".