• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 with Staple Tears / Popped Staples?

41 posts in this topic

I'm confused. It seems like about 50% of the posters agree with me that this book has staple tears and should not be a 9.8 and the other 50% seem think there are no staple tears and this is clearly a 9.8 all day long.

Now I'm not sure if I should return this or not...

It would be great if someone from CGC could put in a definitive word if what I am seeing is considered a staple tear and if they think it is a production defect, or if it was caused by mishandling the book somewhere along the way...

Thanks!

They will sell you the grader's notes....

There are most likely no notes for a 9.8

I just checked and there actually are notes available for $5. It was graded back in 2000 when they were likely doing grader's notes on every book. I may buy them. If the notes mention the staples and it still got a 9.8, then I may be OK with the book. Maybe...

I would surmise that CGC considered those production defects, or otherwise would have graded it lower.

What makes me (and maybe CGC) think they may be production defects is how perfect the book looks besides the staples, and in a normal scan isn't even really visible.

Remember, if CGC thinks it is a production defect, it will almost always get a free pass, for the time being anyways. ;)

While magnification greatly exaggerates the tears from the staple, if you're not happy with the book as a 9.8 and have the option of returning, you should do so. All books are going to show some damage where the staples puncture the cover but that does seem a little more than one would expect on a 9.8.

While some sellers don't offer returns on CGC books, my feeling is when one is paying the high premiums involved for a slabbed high grade book, they should be happy with the grade, not just the one who got it slabbed.

From the scan of the whole book the staples look ok. Its just when the staples are magnified it looks rough. I think the books ok. I wonder though when books are miss wrapped and they get into these higher grades. I just picked up a Tales to Astonish the other day in 9.2 And in no way can this poor book be anything more then 8.0

I'm confused. It seems like about 50% of the posters agree with me that this book has staple tears and should not be a 9.8 and the other 50% seem think there are no staple tears and this is clearly a 9.8 all day long.

Now I'm not sure if I should return this or not...

It would be great if someone from CGC could put in a definitive word if what I am seeing is considered a staple tear and if they think it is a production defect, or if it was caused by mishandling the book somewhere along the way...

Thanks!

A staple hole or staple tear is something that happens post production.

What has happened on your book was caused during the production process and as such is not recognized as a defect at the 9.8 tier. It is recognized however as a production flaw or bindery defect and is similar to a bindery tear. It also occurs in differing severity however all severity are considered the same.

I believe that the term CGC would use to describe this and other staple related defects is "inaccurate stapling" and should not be confused with a "staple hole" or "staple tear".

This particular ASM book was notorious for bindery defects including mis-wrapped covers, bindery tears, bindery pulls and other similar "inaccurate stapling" defects. Some wire stitching was too shallow and in other cases too deep and so forth.

I personally think the book is awesome and would keep it. (thumbs u

That book is a 9.8 all day long. All corners are razor sharp. The staple wear is the only flaw. I would imagine that a couple of slightly fuzzy corners would look like obese polar bears at that magnification.

I would be more concerned with the micro tear on the bottom edge on the back cover.

That book is a 9.8 all day long. All corners are razor sharp. The staple wear is the only flaw. I would imagine that a couple of slightly fuzzy corners would look like obese polar bears at that magnification.

I would be more concerned with the micro tear on the bottom edge on the back cover.

In the TSR box? I thought that was the ink.

I have worked on hundreds of copies of ASM 361. The majority have tears on the bottom edge of the back cover.

I have worked on hundreds of copies of ASM 361. The majority have tears on the bottom edge of the back cover.

Yes, those are bindery pulls and do not effect 9.8 grades!

Hundreds of copies of this one book?! :o

I got the grader's notes from CGC:

"Top Staple Small Wear

Bottom Back Cover Small Tear

Spine Lite Wear Breaks Color"

OK, so CGC still thinks it is a 9.8 with these defects.

However, I still find it hard to believe that this book would still get a 9.8 with grader's notes like this.

I would think that the defects listed in the notes would immediately disqualify this book from getting a 9.8.

Oh well.

I got the grader's notes from CGC:

"Top Staple Small Wear

Bottom Back Cover Small Tear

Spine Lite Wear Breaks Color"

OK, so CGC still thinks it is a 9.8 with these defects.

However, I still find it hard to believe that this book would still get a 9.8 with grader's notes like this.

I would think that the defects listed in the notes would immediately disqualify this book from getting a 9.8.

Oh well.

What makes matters worse Kaptain, is that you just paid CGC an additional $5 to tell you information that you and everyone in this thread already knew. :(

They know how to make $$$ around here ;)

Here's the full book. I'll admit, from a distance, it does look good... But as can be seen in the photos above comparing a normal looking staple to what these staples look like, I find it hard to believe that this is still a 9.8. Thanks.

(Also, my scans are much higher res than this, but Photobucket appears to be resizing my photos).

AmazingSpider-Man361A_zps7e9d3e33.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man361B_zps833b4dac.jpg

Wow! Small world. I was just looking at several copies of 361 before I saw this thread, and noticed the staples had the same issue. Maybe CGC gives this particular book a break? I had a near flawless bat adv 12 come back a 9.6 because of this same problem. Except it wasn't as bad as the book shown. Random.

I showed this book to Joey, and he agreed with my assumption that it would not get a 9.8, even if the rest of the book was 9.8 worthy. A change of tune perhaps. Still risky. What I find interesting is the direction the staples seem to "pulled" in. The top staple goes one way, and the bottom the other. This would have to make it a production flaw, in my opinion.

D6100FFE-529C-45B0-BAC8-6E552D1DB021-8359-000006BA850A132F_zpsd937eab5.jpg132B0FDA-D86F-4FF5-9058-FD9EDA0210F9-8388-000006C23A4E56FD_zpsb53541e3.jpg