• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking After I Leaped!! posted by bagofleas

18 posts in this topic

What was that grade again?

As most of you know, I have been steadily putting together a graded Marvel Graphic Novel set for some time now.

When I first started getting them, the registry set was limited. It only had up to #38 and a few others that had been graded, but it had not been updated or listed completely.

So when I got my hands on some that weren't numbered or listed, I requested them to be added and Gemma was gracious enough to do so. After that, I did some research and found that after the first 38 numbered issues, there were another 37 that had been released with no numbers.

I listed them in the order there were released and requested for Gemma to have them added to the set. Unbelievably, she had it done in 2 days!! WOW! Thank you Gemma!

Anyway, the set listing is now complete, so now it just stands for me to add, add, add to it!

Not long ago, I placed a bid on a copy of #68 (technically) in the series. It's an Avengers story from 1991 called Death Trap The Vault. It was on Ebay and listed as 9.6 condition. I put in a bid of $26just for the heck of it. After all, I had never seen a graded copy of this issue.

Well, I won the auction at $23.50!! I was amazed! Little did I know I would be more amazed once it showed up on my doorstep.

When I got it out of the packaging, I saw it was a 9.8!! Say what? I thought it was a 9.6.

I went back onto Ebay and looked up the original listing. Sure enough, the title of the listing said 9.6, but I could look at the photo and clearly see that it was actually 9.8! This might explain why there wasn't more bidding action on it.

In this case, looking before I leaped really worked out for me!!

Tnerb gave me 4 MGNs in Baltimore, 3 of which can be inserted into this set. 2 of them, I got signed in Baltimore and am now awaiting a pressing and grading to be done on them. One I am holding until a signing opportunity comes up. The last one is a really neat DC Star Trek Graphic Novel that I was told has NEVER been graded by CGC!

I was able to get 2 sigs on it at the show and submit it! I read it the night before I did this, since I never had before. It won't get a 9.8, probably more like a 9.0 or a 9.2, but I don't care. It is a gift from my Big Brother that holds more memories and meaning to me than any monetary amount.

Thanks Tnerb!!!

Below is a pic of the Avengers MGN along with two more MGNs that I just acquired last week.

14422.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

That's very cool... buying a 9.6 but getting a 9.8 instead.

I'm hoping you'll be the first to complete the Marvel Graphic Novel Set, but there is one issue in the set that may be impossible to get graded: issue 35, the Hard Cover of The Shadow, 1941, Hitler's Astrologer, which remains my favorite of all the Marvel Graphic Novels.

I don't know if they released a soft cover version. But I remember buying it when it first came out and it was just so beautiful as a hard cover book.

Good luck in completing the set!

SW3D

Dear BOF,

You're absolutely right!

I went to MyComicsShop to check it out and MGN 35 came out with both a soft and hard cover.

So the dream lives on!

I hope you complete the set.

SW3D

I have that Avengers. I have been thinking about a signing opportunity for it....must wait though. As for the ones I gave you, it was my pleasure. I look forward to finding out how well they grade.

Same thing happened to me last year from World Wide Comics. I was upgrading me Richie Rich #167 from 9.4 to a 9.6 and recieved a 9.8. I went back to check the listing and the description said 9.6, but the picture was of a 9.8. I paid the 9.6 price for it as well on $40. So it was a nice score!

sig.jpg

141882.jpg.67c78f402a1bd3f6ad2bddd1d4186ec8.jpg

Congratulations on the unexpected +0.2! It seems even less likely to find these in high grades, given their size.

I never really got into the Marvel Graphic Novels. I guess after growing up in a rural area with limited access to comic shops I just cultivated an annoyance with these cool-looking books that I only ever saw in ads.

I can remember seeing Iron Man: Crash and Spider-Man: Hooky in the only comic shop I could get to before I could drive myself, and that is it. Weird War III was the last book I added to fill my title run of that series, and I wasn't entirely sure it existed right up until I found it in a discount bin.

My copy of MGN4 is the 1994 reprint, which is comic-sized. I still need an original-sized copy for my raw New Mutants set.

The smartest person I ever met once told me, "God Loves, Man Kills is hands down the best comic ever written."

I wouldn't go that far, but I did pick this up not too long ago and thought it was a good read. I think "best comic ever written" really depends on the reader...for me I would have to say it's probably X-men: Days of Future Past...I could read that story again and again. I know a lot of people might say Watchmen, but I wasn't a fan of that series.

sig.jpg