• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Was Your First SA Book? Still got her?

86 posts in this topic

Mine was a VF/NM copy of Capatin America #106.Great story and great Kirby cover(like duh).That is the book that really lit the fire under me for the vintage books.I could`nt resist.When I got her home I read her(very carefully)and was blown away by Kirby`s art. Still have the #106 in my collection.

Cap 106 has one of the best Silver Age covers, no question.

First S.A. book I can remember buying would've been Amazing Spider-Man 51 or Daredevil 2, I can't recall which came first. I bought them both in the early '80s from a comic shop in central London (there were only two at the time) and paid no more than £5 for each of them, which was a fair bit of money for me then.

I've still got them. When I went through my early '80s collection after leaving them untouched in mylites for 15 years (I'll never sell any of those books), I checked both comics. The DD 2 was about VG+, but the Spidey 51 was NM- (U.S. unstamped copy, natch).

My first SA book was a Fantastic Four #48, bought as a NM in 1987. A high school graduation present to myself, bought with my part-time summer job money. Still in my collection and submitted to CGC, and it came back a 9.0 with ow pages. cloud9.gif

DD #43, bought while on a trip to L.A when I was 13. I was travelling alone, and looking for some comics for the plane ride back, and saw it on the wall for $12. The Kirby Cap Vs. DD cover was captivating. It was actually quite high grade, and would probably grade out to a NM 9.4. I remember thinking that it looked like it just came off of the stands.

It's gone now. I sold it 2 years later when I was 15 to get some beer money. I got $20 for it, and I'd now pay 15X that amount if I could get that exact copy back. frown.gif

I seem to recall owning Amazing Spider-man 25, FF #39, and TTA #68.......my dad may have bought them for me....... it was a one shot purchase. 15 months later I started collecting seriously, with ASM 41, FF 54 and the rest of the lineup. I don't have any of those originals, but I do have a copy of FF 54 that I had signed by Joe Sinnott last year! cloud9.gif

DD #43, bought while on a trip to L.A when I was 13. I was travelling alone, and looking for some comics for the plane ride back, and saw it on the wall for $12. The Kirby Cap Vs. DD cover was captivating. It was actually quite high grade, and would probably grade out to a NM 9.4. I remember thinking that it looked like it just came off of the stands.

It's gone now. I sold it 2 years later when I was 15 to get some beer money. I got $20 for it, and I'd now pay 15X that amount if I could get that exact copy back. frown.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif15 years old?

The first Silver Age book I came across was *free*

Walking home from grade school in the mid-1970s I came across a dog-eared copy of Justice League of America #57 (the UN Brotherhood themed issue), thrown out with the trash on the curb. Like a good lil' Gypsy/Tramp/Thief I snatched it up. I remember being let down that the big guns didn't appear in this story, in favor of Flash, Hawkman, Snapper Carr yeahok.gif and a clean-shaven Green Arrow. confused.gif But I also remember the ads in that book for the Batman TV show and the Superman/Aquaman cartoon hour, which were off the air at the time I found the book, but dimly remembered from when I was just a tot in the late 1960s.

So at age 11 or so, I already experience nostalgia for the good ol days! confused-smiley-013.gif

(The book was no better than Fair when I found it, and is long gone.)

As I recall it was a Doc Strange 169. I bought it off a rack at Million Year picnic for $12 in NM condition. This was in the early-mid eighties. I believe Jerry was still there at the time. The same rack also yielded a Hulk 102 NM for the same price, but I can't remember if I got it the same day or the folowing week. They were sold a long time ago.

893naughty-thumb.gif15 years old?

He's Canadian, that's 34 in American years.

I'm having flashbacks to a used bookstore that had mangled silver age back issues in 1978. I remember picking up an Amazing Spider-man #7 and Fantastic Four #6 for about $20 each. Both were in Fine condition. Sold them in the 90s for a nice profit.

This was one of the first books I bought as a 12 year old. I got it so I could read in the car on a cross country trip to Calif. That trip certainly had a major influence on my life as it started me collecting comics. It also helped to influence my decision to live in Los Angeles .

98_4_0335.jpg

one of the first holey grails for me was the first legion appearance in Adventure 247( attached). I now have 2 of them.

616190-adv247.jpg.d3eef41baad5c70a6f2fe3fefe95535b.jpg

how's this for a "first" SA purchase.

i was eight years old at the time and had yet to move to Orange NJ (where i found Jades/Sid's Luncheonette). there was a newly opened candy store around the corner on Cambridge street in East Orange, NJ named Jimmie's.

i remember buying a book that had this guy dressed in a cool red outfit running off the page across what looked like movie film. it wasn't until many years later that i confirmed that the book did exist (mine has disappeared in the move to Orange) and was actually the VERY first book of the Silver Age, Showcase #4 with the origin of the new Flash.

i have since purchased a beautifully restored copy which was graded 8.5 by CGC. cloud9.gif

how's this for a "first" SA purchase.

i was eight years old at the time and had yet to move to Orange NJ (where i found Jades/Sid's Luncheonette). there was a newly opened candy store around the corner on Cambridge street in East Orange, NJ named Jimmie's.

i remember buying a book that had this guy dressed in a cool red outfit running off the page across what looked like movie film. it wasn't until many years later that i confirmed that the book did exist (mine has disappeared in the move to Orange) and was actually the VERY first book of the Silver Age, Showcase #4 with the origin of the new Flash.

i have since purchased a beautifully restored copy which was graded 8.5 by CGC. cloud9.gif

very cool! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'd seen comics at some older cousins' and neighbor houses, and I recall having an Archie and a Harvey type book handed down, but the first SA comic I ever picked out myself was Star Spangled War Stories #129 right off the rack at Newsbaum's mini market in Capitola, CA in the Summer of 1966. I was crazy for dinosaurs and prehistoric stuff, and the cover portrayed a giant pterodactyl attacking a WW II fighter. What could be more cool than that?

Other early (for me) SA comic rack buys were Avengers #44, Stange Tales #161 (I was a big Cap fan and he is featured on those two covers) and Star Spangled #134, which has a cool Neal Adams story (though I only became aware of this later). All of the originals except the Avengers are long gone, but I've since reacquired other copies. Nothing special as far as condition, VG - F, but I like having them in my hands again.

At the San Diego Con a few years back Neal was dong some signings, which actually inspired me to go find #134 again. I stood in line as he chatted, signed, and sketched, mostly signing Batman and GL/GA books, with an Avengers and X-Men thrown in. When I got to my turn and laid down the old war book, he gasped. I guess he hadn't seen it for a while, and his boy had never seen it, though he'd heard about it. Neal told a few anecdotes about the production, how DC had been too cheap to pay him for a spalsh page and had taken a T-Rex panel from the story and blown it up, how they'd botched the color of the giant lobster (making it a just-boiled red instead of dark green), and I think as a result that's why he didn't do the cover. I think Russ Heath did, but I had Neal sign it anyway, since I'm not selling it.

I also paid $25 for an ink sketch by Neal of a sea serpent from the story that is hanging on the wall above me right now. I think he got a kick out of drawing something off-beat.