• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

Because it's one of the best Matt Baker covers, because it's an old-school book that most people don't give a rip about any more, and because I wanted a copy for a very long time before a decent one finally surfaced...

I've wanted that book for a very long time also. Great books, Jimbo. You've got great taste in funny books! (thumbs u

Because it's one of the best Matt Baker covers, because it's an old-school book that most people don't give a rip about any more, and because I wanted a copy for a very long time before a decent one finally surfaced...

I've wanted that book for a very long time also. Great books, Jimbo. You've got great taste in funny books! (thumbs u

Thanks for the kind words, Randall!

I'm with Randall on that Jimbo had my hands on a great copy once and didn;t buy it and have had nightmares about that book ever since.By far my favorite Baker cover to hold one in your hands is a sight to behold you lucky man

I'm with Randall on that Jimbo had my hands on a great copy once and didn;t buy it and have had nightmares about that book ever since.By far my favorite Baker cover to hold one in your hands is a sight to behold you lucky man

Thanks! (A 3.0 just sold on CLink for $606...I have a feeling more will be popping up.)

By the way, you have some of my favorite Cheslers in your sig line! I've always thought Dynamic 11 had a really creative cover.

(And who doesn't love the Freas Witchcraft!!!)

captainaero23.jpg

Great books JE. I used to own that Captain Aero back in the 90's, she is a beauty!

Based on the date of the Contact, I'd bet that copy is also the Big Apple.

Thanks West!! Yeah, that Captain Aero hooked me :)

I've actually thought that the Contact HAD to be a pedigree. No little "J" or "loop" like most Big Apples from around that period have tho. Could be tho (shrug)

Fantastic books. :luhv:

I saw this book before it was slabbed and it is a very pretty copy. Congrats!

Because it's one of the best Matt Baker covers, because it's an old-school book that most people don't give a rip about any more, and because I wanted a copy for a very long time before a decent one finally surfaced... 142050.jpg

I'm a bit limited as to what's in my photobucket right now, but there are certainly some favorites of mine in there, for a variety of reasons.

MARVEL MYSTERY #36

This book is a favorite for SEVERAL reasons!! I clearly remember buying this exact copy in the mid 1990's at a small show. My eyes were HUGE seeing it in a small glass-topped case on a local dealers table. He said he'd just gotten it back from a customer he'd sold it to long ago. I quickly purchased it. After getting divorced, I had to part with most of my books to buy a house. I sold this to Russ, requesting that I be able to buy it back, should he ever decide to sell. I was fortunate enough to get it back a year or two ago :grin: Thanks Russ (worship)

marvel36_zps6a26d0e6.jpg

You are most welcome my friend.The MM 36 just had to go back to you.It belongs in your collection stirring up memories of your early days as a wide eyed GA geek. I was only a caretaker of it for a little while until you got back on your feet.

This is my first GA purchase (from our own JiveTurkeyMoFo) and I remember seeing the cover for the first time and just simply falling in love with all of the action going on (and the symbolic history shown ~ re: MacArthur)... I have always been a history buff but my collecting focus always has been in the SA/BA arena (simply b/c I didn't know much about the GA at the time). In fact, I honestly didn't know anything about Schomburg at the time (and now I'm just a huge fan of his work :cloud9: ).

HumanTorch18vf-_zpse22a7f8a.jpg

I was hooked... and I mean HOOKED!!! So I purchased this at the same time as the above book (again, loved the iconic cover imo and sorry for the fuzzy picture):

fightingyank10_zps4e2a2384.jpg

I always followed this cover/book and picked it up recently (it's just so graphic and representative of the era it was created in/for):

cap-46_zpse32ec9ff.jpg

capt-46b_zpsb701a3eb.jpg

And I love this cover (something about all the action and the subby and cappy goodness... or b/c I was at berchtesgaden first-hand years ago):

All-Select160fc_zps8b625bc7.jpg

Then I picked this up from our own Cheetah (thanks again, something about u-boats have always striked my history fancy and curiosity):

thrillingcomics43_zps0f7efa26.jpg

Then I did something I didn't think I would ever do (or be in a position to do)... I liquidated pretty much ALL of my CGC collection for a GRAIL this past year... And this bad boy is the PRIZE and crown jewel of my collection. You see, I have collected very aggressively for the last (10)-years, CGC'ing some of my favorite BA/SA (and a few GA) books along the way and ended up liquidated most all of my graded books to acquire this. I am VERY VERY happy to be able to acquire this book :cloud9: and do not regret the decision to go from many to just a few (as I thought I may never have 'this' opportunity again and didn't want to look back and have regret). Plus, the cover sums up the era to/for me ~

cap13_zps2f07b59e.jpg

cap1_back2_zps0c73b9cf.jpg

So... Looking back, I consider myself primarily a GA collector now that also likes to acquire SA Keys. I used to collect all funny books with no real focus and now I'm a sucker for GA War-themed books (Schomburg especially)...

Thanks CAT for making this thread (thumbs u as it is great to see everyone's awesome books and the personalized stories attached to them. :applause:

This is my first GA purchase (from our own JiveTurkeyMoFo) and I remember seeing the cover for the first and just simply falling in love with all of the action going on (and the symbolic history shown ~ re: MacArthur)... I have always been a history buff but my collecting focus always has been in the SA/BA arena (simply b/c I didn't know much about the GA at the time). In fact, I honestly didn't know anything about Schomburg at the time (and now I'm just a huge fan of his work :cloud9: ).

HumanTorch18vf-_zpse22a7f8a.jpg

I was hooked... and I mean HOOKED!!! So I purchased this at the same time as the above book (again, loved the iconic cover imo and sorry for the fuzzy picture):

fightingyank10_zps4e2a2384.jpg

I always followed this covered and picked it up recently (it's just so graphic and representative of the era it was created in/for):

cap-46_zpse32ec9ff.jpg

And I love this cover (something about all the action and the subby and cappy goodness... or b/c I was at berchtesgaden first-hand):

All-Select160fc_zps8b625bc7.jpg

Then I picked this up from our own Cheetah (thanks again, something about u-boats have always striked my fancy and curiosity):

thrillingcomics43_zps0f7efa26.jpg

Then I did something I didn't think I would ever do or be able to own... I liquidated pretty much ALL of my CGC collection for a GRAIL this past year... And this bad boy is the PRIZE and crown jewel of my collection. I have collected very aggressively for the last (10)-years and I liquidated most all of my findings/purchases/books to acquire this. I am VERY VERY happy to be able to own this :cloud9: :

cap13_zps2f07b59e.jpg

cap1_back2_zps0c73b9cf.jpg

Awesome books. And no matter what you had to liquidate to get that Cap #1 it was well worth it. Just an amazing book (worship)

That Cap is a beauty... Did you sell the Cap 46 as well? That is a very pretty copy.

No - I kept the Cap-46 and thanks for the compliments... I just couldn't part with it and added a large scan of the book as it presents very well for a 6.0, imo (as the original blurry picture I posted doesn't do it justice as it looks "in hand").

I'm a bit limited as to what's in my photobucket right now, but there are certainly some favorites of mine in there, for a variety of reasons.

MARVEL MYSTERY #36

This book is a favorite for SEVERAL reasons!! I clearly remember buying this exact copy in the mid 1990's at a small show. My eyes were HUGE seeing it in a small glass-topped case on a local dealers table. He said he'd just gotten it back from a customer he'd sold it to long ago. I quickly purchased it. After getting divorced, I had to part with most of my books to buy a house. I sold this to Russ, requesting that I be able to buy it back, should he ever decide to sell. I was fortunate enough to get it back a year or two ago :grin: Thanks Russ (worship)

marvel36_zps6a26d0e6.jpg

You are most welcome my friend.The MM 36 just had to go back to you.It belongs in your collection stirring up memories of your early days as a wide eyed GA geek. I was only a caretaker of it for a little while until you got back on your feet.

That-is-a-GREAT-story... Good Stuff and Well Done. :applause: