• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

It facinates me that someone who would spend $14,000.00 on a comic book. Would think twice about spending $150.00 on a scanner. Especially someone who is actually "in love" with a comic book or ten.

I see this a lot on this web site. Boggles the mind.

I bought my Microtek i800 on Ebay for about $100.00. Works great and there is no way it could hurt a comic book, that is scanned once on each side.

No way.

[font:Times New Roman]These are excellent points. In fairness to those sharing scans of their collections on a budget, it's even worse on ebay and other business oriented sites where the quality of scanned images can be deal breakers. I constantly see poor images in auctions where the customer has to roll the dice or walk away.

A good scanner can pay for itself in a single sale if images are displayed clearly and attractively. While descriptions are important, a good picture really is worth a thousand words. No one has to spend a small fortune on a CCD flat-bed legal document scanner to get 95% of the best (using Heritage business scans as a 100% benchmark).

While I'm at it, I'll post another overlooked fave missing from my initial post (scanned with an HP Scanjet 8300)...

8ddb6d72-84dc-4054-9366-43b7e0b7514f_zps97696c06.jpg5fb5948b-f915-4499-909e-754c1b1e4e1e_zpsf330c8ef.jpg

Again, I couldn't pick between these, perhaps because they share so much DNA. :insane:

PS: I'm thinkin' these two rambunctious twins should also make an appearance in the WMD thread! :idea:

[/font]

I don't have to have the best, just one that works well.

Hey, that's my collecting philosophy!

By the way, this has been a super thread. I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's favorites, the reasons they are favorites, and some of the stories about their acquisition. And in all of it, I don't think anyone talked about a comic being their favorite because of its investment potential. hm

It facinates me that someone who would spend $14,000.00 on a comic book. Would think twice about spending $150.00 on a scanner. Especially someone who is actually "in love" with a comic book or ten.

I bought my Microtek i800 on Ebay for about $100.00. Works great and there is no way it could hurt a comic book, that is scanned once on each side.

No way.

I didn't see them that cheap the last time I looked. There were quite a few boardies that recommended another model so i bought that one.

I was only kidding about it hurting a comic book. Just being silly.

the microtec is by far the best for scanning slabs.

[font:Times New Roman]My HP does a good job even though occasionally getting inner-well induced glare with thicker slabs. There are simple tricks for getting rid of most glare.

If it's a legal document sized HP scanner (CCD) at a reasonable price point I think he'll be pretty darned happy with it.[/font] (thumbs u

No way.

I didn't see them that cheap the last time I looked. There were quite a few boardies that recommended another model so i bought that one.

[font:Times New Roman]My HP does a good job even though occasionally getting inner-well induced glare with thicker slabs. There are simple tricks for getting rid of most glare.

If it's a legal document sized HP scanner (CCD) at a reasonable price point I think he'll be pretty darned happy with it.[/font] (thumbs u

I bought the HP 8300

No way.

I bought the HP 8300

Having had both I take the microtec hands down!

No way.

I bought the HP 8300

then ship me one and bill me for it. you have much more time on your hands than i do. i'm headed out of the country, again, on tuesday. 9th consecutive week of international travel :(

No way.

I bought the HP 8300

then ship me one and bill me for it. you have much more time on your hands than i do. i'm headed out of the country, again, on tuesday. 9th consecutive week of international travel :(

afraid you have me confused with someone else. I barely seem to have time to breathe these days.

No way.

I bought the HP 8300

(thumbs u

[font:Times New Roman]Great scanner, Bill (my opinion). Never had any problems with mine.

Using Photobucket to edit your uploaded images (crop and experiment with image enhancement) you should get excellent results every time.[/font]

It is no secret that Batman #1 always has been, and always will be, my favorite comic book. In my opinion it is the greatest comic book of all time.

I can't tell you how many copies of this comic I've owned over the years, but it has been quite a few. The times when I didn't own one, I pined for one.

A month or so ago a friend approached me about selling him my 8.0 EP copy. I really wasn't interested in selling it, but he really wanted it. His offer kept increasing until I just couldn't refuse, so I sold it.

Now, I was happy with the price, but sad I no longer had a copy. Three days later I walked into a local comic shop and bought some nice golden age from the owner of the store. I mentioned to him how sad I was that I sold my copy of Batman 1, and he was shocked that I had sold it. He asked me if I would be interested in buying his copy as he and I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

Short negotiations later, I walked out with this beautiful 7.0 MP. I think it is one of the nicest looking copies I have owned. The red in the logo is by far the reddest I've ever had. I think the book is undergraded and may resubmit it

The iPhone picture in no way does this book justice

Anyway, here is the love of my comic life :cloud9::luhv:

batman1new_zps8b753888.jpg

As much as I liked your former copy, this one is MUCH nicer.

I don't remember posting on this thread and if I did, here is another 8 favorites.

I love all of those Batman covers but this one has a motorcycle too. However, I really like the cover of Batman 50.

4809391837_bba5ac09bb_z.jpg2232244630_b3e3e43ebb_z.jpg

I have always been an All Star fan but this one features Solomon Grundy. I purchased it from Captain Blue Hen in Lancaster.

2232222806_f0a0e8db21_z.jpg

I love the Superman tank cover.

Another flea market purchase but probably not a bargain at the time.

2509142358_576466e72f_z.jpg

I found this Duck book at the flea market and got a good deal. It is still a favorite story. I probably like the Uncle Scrooge story in FC 291 a little more but this book was part of a special deal that is a good memory.

2095678550_dcf37271c3_z.jpg

Thanks to Wally (of PA not LA) for this one. Those early Timely comics are difficult to find but they always make the hero look superhuman.

2087449815_f9fe134f5d_z.jpg2088236386_99949df4ce_z.jpg

and this one too. I always wanted a bunch of golden age comics and got most of them all in one purchase.

2231384135_1774c2345c_z.jpg

All great books, Bruce! :applause:

Adventures Into Weird Worlds #27 Mar 1954

My childhood copy of this was coverless, as I used to buy stacks of such stuff for a penny apiece from the ‘Magic Shopping Cart’ (it always refilled) outside Lanning’s Book Store in downtown San Diego in the early 1960s. When I bought a ‘second’ (original collection long gone) in the early 1990s- didn’t know I was rekindling an old flame…until I opened it. Mort Lawrence’s ‘test tube’ splash for ‘The Man Who Wasn’t’ had been my ‘cover’, and seeing it again after all those years was a rare treat. Great art on every story, Sid Greene, Jack Abel…and double-plus wonderful- Matt Fox and Robert Q Sale. ‘Nuff Said.

Out of This World #1 June 1950

Normally it takes more than one superb story to convey top superstar status, but this not only has a cool Fawcette cover and 2 Kuberts inside: it’s an extra-special story. Crom the Barbarian, by Gardner Fox and John Giunta. Had one of these as a kid when I ‘lived’ in Hyperborea. REH made sure that ‘sword and sorcery’ would always be the glorious genre for this humble reader.

Out of the Night #2 Apr-May 1952

I wanted to get an ACG in there as- again- I’d been big on them ever since you could lay down a dime and get the new ish of Forbidden Worlds. Went with this because the Bald cover is nice, and inside lurk 2 terrific artists, Al Williamson and George Wilhelms.

Fast Fiction #3 1949 ‘She’

Since no one has put any classic adaptations up as frontrunner faves, I’ll give this one the nod. Cool Kiefer cover, elegant Vincent Napoli inside, with a vivacious and vivid version of the venerable tale of the White Queen of Kor.

Wonder #20 Oct 1948

This was my first Wonder, and it bowled me over. It’s also the last issue, and I collect those… Exquisite Xela cover, emphatic Tara by Fawcette, fine Wonderman story with Roussos really shining, and 13 page Silver Knight with Frazetta inks. I think you can still buy this ish for a dime at the drug store in Heaven…

Ps- snuck in a couple of key splashes. All I have are the clipped pages (remember I was quite young and had multiple coverless copies) of these 2 phantasmagorical masterpieces- the sole remnants of my original collection…

imgfav.JPG

fav2.JPG

Adventures Into Weird Worlds #27 Mar 1954

My childhood copy of this was coverless, as I used to buy stacks of such stuff for a penny apiece from the ‘Magic Shopping Cart’ (it always refilled) outside Lanning’s Book Store in downtown San Diego in the early 1960s. When I bought a ‘second’ (original collection long gone) in the early 1990s- didn’t know I was rekindling an old flame…until I opened it. Mort Lawrence’s ‘test tube’ splash for ‘The Man Who Wasn’t’ had been my ‘cover’, and seeing it again after all those years was a rare treat. Great art on every story, Sid Greene, Jack Abel…and double-plus wonderful- Matt Fox and Robert Q Sale. ‘Nuff Said.

Out of This World #1 June 1950

Normally it takes more than one superb story to convey top superstar status, but this not only has a cool Fawcette cover and 2 Kuberts inside: it’s an extra-special story. Crom the Barbarian, by Gardner Fox and John Giunta. Had one of these as a kid when I ‘lived’ in Hyperborea. REH made sure that ‘sword and sorcery’ would always be the glorious genre for this humble reader.

Out of the Night #2 Apr-May 1952

I wanted to get an ACG in there as- again- I’d been big on them ever since you could lay down a dime and get the new ish of Forbidden Worlds. Went with this because the Bald cover is nice, and inside lurk 2 terrific artists, Al Williamson and George Wilhelms.

Fast Fiction #3 1949 ‘She’

Since no one has put any classic adaptations up as frontrunner faves, I’ll give this one the nod. Cool Kiefer cover, elegant Vincent Napoli inside, with a vivacious and vivid version of the venerable tale of the White Queen of Kor.

Wonder #20 Oct 1948

This was my first Wonder, and it bowled me over. It’s also the last issue, and I collect those… Exquisite Xela cover, emphatic Tara by Fawcette, fine Wonderman story with Roussos really shining, and 13 page Silver Knight with Frazetta inks. I think you can still buy this ish for a dime at the drug store in Heaven…

Ps- snuck in a couple of key splashes. All I have are the clipped pages (remember I was quite young and had multiple coverless copies) of these 2 phantasmagorical masterpieces- the sole remnants of my original collection…

imgfav.JPG

fav2.JPG

Excellent reads all the way around Pat. My favorite out of your group is the Out of this World #1. Such a fantastic book. Bought my first copy at a small convention in Mobile Alabama in the early 1980s and have liked that book ever since

Top 10 books that have walked into the store...

I've been fortunate to have had some pretty cool books offered to me by folks who live in this area. Here are my ten favorites that I have managed to hang on to...

10 - An older, very distinguished gentleman came in with a pile of EC comics. Most of them were very well read. We got to talking about the comics and where he had originally purchased them. As the conversation went on it dawned on me...this was the president of The University of Houston. Anyway, I saved one of the books and had it graded because it was so nice...

tftc45.jpg

9, 8, 7 - We had a guy who, starting about six years ago, would bring us a box or two of golden age every six months or so. The books were all over the map, all genres, all time periods, all grades. He brought in four or so different batches, each time promising that the next batch would have "the really good stuff". By the last batch it was apparent that we had probably seen the really good stuff. But we were able to get a few books that were really good...

popular85.jpg

superman26.jpg

terrytoons38.jpg

6 - I remembered selling this book many years ago but I could not remember who I had sold it to. Then around 2005 an old customer called saying he was ready to sell his collection. Mostly silver and bronze with this one stray old book that I recognized immediately...

wonder12.jpg

5 - I have a customer who brings me random stuff every year at tax time. It's usually a mishmash of very cool, but awkward to sell, bits and pieces of golden age keys (coverless, covers, centerfolds etc.) that he has bought at shows or through the CBG ads in the seventies. He also still buys stuff off of eBay periodically. Usually there are one or two really nice items. Last year I picked up a nice Sirocco Superman statue. But since this is a comics thread this is the one comic that I have saved from his books...

flash89.jpg

4 - About fifteen years ago a guy drove in from Austin with two golden age books. One was a really nice looking, but slightly restored All Select 1. I sold that to Straw-Man and he had it up until last year when he upgraded to the beautiful 8.5 he now has. I kept the other book...

batman7.jpg

3 - I recently picked up this book in a trade from a customer who used to buy a ton of books from me and through Heritage. Then life got in the way and he put collecting on hold for about seven years. A few months ago he came back in ready to make up for lost time. He put a bunch of cool stuff on layaway and asked if I would consider a trade to offset some of the cost. I remembered he had this and said sure. After some tough negotiating we were able to work it out...

silverstreak7.jpg

2 - The Pacific Coast silver age pedigree was originally accumulated by Carl Macek, one of the partners in The American Comic Book Co. in the seventies and eighties. Shortly after selling most of the collection to Robert Roter, Carl and his wife moved to Houston to do some work for ADV Films, at that time a powerhouse anime film company based in Houston. One day Carl walked in with a stack of silver age DCs and Gold Keys including a run of Atom and Star Trek, all obviously from the same collection. He also had one golden age book ...

superman20.jpg

1 - I bought a large batch of Dell Disney comics from a couple who had found them in a house they purchased in Colorado. Beautiful, beautiful books. This was the best of the lot...

fc386.jpg

Honorable mention, because I no longer have it - but it makes for a great story!

A pure walk in, since sold...

A guy came in in 2008 with a small stack of books. He had read a story about the San Diego Comic Con and decided to pull out his old comics to see what they were worth. He had stopped collecting in 1985, but prior to that he was a pretty avid silver age Marvel collector. In the books that he brought to the shop he had X-Men 1-10 and an Amazing Fantasy 15. But he also had one golden age comic. He said he had purchased it at a comic shop in Houston in the early 80's simply as an investment, and because it looked so cool. When I first saw it I just about couldn't believe my eyes. I rarely post scans of books I no longer own, but I think this is an opportune exception...

detective31cgc.jpg

(The preceding post is brought to you courtesy on the Microtec i800 scanner (thumbs u )

No way.

I bought the HP 8300

(thumbs u

[font:Times New Roman]Great scanner, Bill (my opinion). Never had any problems with mine.

Using Photobucket to edit your uploaded images (crop and experiment with image enhancement) you should get excellent results every time.[/font]

I think my old scanner was similar to the 8300. I broke it when moving from NY to PA. Make sure you are careful. The colors were great and I liked the software but I jarred it off the rails with a bump when I should have locked it down.

I hope they buy you business class tickets for your travel. Flying to Europe is an awful trip if you have to sit in one of those little seats in coach. Besides, I always enjoyed the lobster dinner with an ice cream sundae for dessert. I always passed on the free drinks but managed to snooze on the overnight flights and was ready to work the next day. I have fond memories of Tin Tin's home. :banana:

Top 10 books that have walked into the store...

I've been fortunate to have had some pretty cool books offered to me by folks who live in this area. Here are my ten favorites that I have managed to hang on to...

Great post and great stories! You`ve had some very cool books come into your store!

2 - The Pacific Coast silver age pedigree was originally accumulated by Carl Macek, one of the partners in The American Comic Book Co. in the seventies and eighties. Shortly after selling most of the collection to Robert Roter, Carl and his wife moved to Houston to do some work for ADV Films, at that time a powerhouse anime film company based in Houston. One day Carl walked in with a stack of silver age DCs and Gold Keys including a run of Atom and Star Trek, all obviously from the same collection. He also had one golden age book ...

So all of the stuff about the PC OO being a librarian is bunk? When you refer to the seventies and eighties, is that when he accumulated the books or when he was a partner in The American Comic Book Co.? Because I`ve always assumed he must have purchased the books off the newsstand because of their uniformly high quality, particularly their phenomenal QP.

Are the Atoms and Star Treks now designated as PCs?

So all of the stuff about the PC OO being a librarian is bunk? When you refer to the seventies and eighties, is that when he accumulated the books or when he was a partner in The American Comic Book Co.? Because I`ve always assumed he must have purchased the books off the newsstand because of their uniformly high quality, particularly their phenomenal QP.

Are the Atoms and Star Treks now designated as PCs?

I first met Carl when he was working for ACBC in the mid to late '70s and setting up at Houston Cons and San Diego Cons during that time. In fact, at the '78 Houston Con I bought the San Fransisco copy of Marvel 28 from him (he had 28 and 29). I don't know when he accumulated the PC collection, but I assume it was his original collection before working there. Could he have been upgrading while there? Possibly, I guess only he would know if all of those books were actually bought off the stands or not. After talking with CGC all of the silver age books that I bought from him were designated as PCs, though I had sold some of them raw to others prior to their being slabbed. They were all killer. The best was a double cover Star Trek 2 which graded 9.8.

Great books, but on the HT 23 I would take the one of the left because it has more of the artwork on all sides.

Amazing story Bedrock love reading your posts. Simply jawdropping!