• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

Thanks Richard.

I'm messing around with the settings to try and improve the scans. One thing I notice about scans from this scanner and from the Mictotek is the high contrast. This seems to be the hardest to eliminate. Probably have to use an external editor to make that more natural looking

[font:Times New Roman] :applause:

A certain amount of glare is unavoidable with some slabbed books due to puckering of the flexible inner well plastic, but it can be reduced to get better shots. Bill, those scans are looking much better.

The 8300 is a pretty straight forward trouble-free scanner, IMO. Combined with the tools at your disposal after the scan is uploaded to Photobucket your scanned slabbed & raw books will be da bomb. Congrats! [/font] (thumbs u

so, what do you think (shrug)

That your post is useless without scans. :baiting:

here are a couple I actually had scanned (I don't really scan my comics any more)

whiz22mh001_zpse37abdc4.jpg

aman26001_zpsf50c2c42.jpg

>>>>>>>>> [font:Times New Roman]But, ...but, they're not [/font] [font:Times New Roman]that[/font] [font:Times New Roman]bad. [/font] :baiting:

(PM sent) :gossip:

ok, so what are my 5 favorite GA books that I have in my collection right now (note, that doesn't mean 5 favs overall, but what is in my collection this moment)...

5...Pep 34...

I first desired this comic in 2006 when I saw a friends copy at sdcc... I spent the next 3 years looks for a copy...any copy, to buy...in 2009 I believe, my buddy Jimmy E (Frisco Larson) gave me a copy of the cover only, to the book....

well, that only ignited my search...that summer, I believe another good buddy located a copy for me, and graciously sold it to me...my first copy!...well, then the floodgates opened...after not being able to find a copy for years, I was able to purchase like 6-7 copies over the next 2 years (all of which I parted with to friends/fellow collectors)...

4-Superman 14....a relatively "common" GA book, but dare I say one of the MOST iconic images of any comic....just love it, and always have to have a copy in my collection (whether a beater or a vf).... at one point in time (I believe Oct of 2010) I had 22 copies of this book....I displayed them all (except for 1 I kept for me), and started slowly selling them off over the next year or 2... but I always reload when I get down to 1-2 "for sale" copies....that said, one always resides in the ole box

3-World's Finest 66....

weird choice, right?...well, I collect 1950's GA issues of World's Finest (combines my favorite Batman and superman)....my goal was issue 40-80 in as nice of shape (unrestored) as I could find... I started this run in 2004...now, for those that know me, I rarely take my time at putting runs together...but, in this instance, 2010 rolls around and I have every issue, save 1....you guessed it....#66.... for whatever reason, I either could never find, or I would miss out on a rare opp to buy (on ebay, or at cons, etc).... I finally see one in a heritage sunday auction in 2011 and I'll be darned if that book isn't going to be mine!...and, one stupidly high snipe bid later...it was.... since then (7 years initially looking), I have seen numerous examples come to market...but oh...66 will always hold that place for me, and will be the last WF I sell (if I ever sell the run)...

2-Amazing Man 26....

many know the story...I got hooked on Centaurs in 2007 or so, and aimed to accomplish what few others had (jonberk and centaurman)...a complete publisher (about 292 books I believe).... after only 3 years, I had accumulated 250 or so of the publisher, by 2010, but one book I didn't think I would ever get, was aman 26...win had been looking for almost 10 years for a copy, and he was nearer completion than me...so, I "gave" up...I sold almost all my centaurs and pouted for years...until..... one fateful ebay night, a copy pops up on my watch list.... I "hush" the "in the know growd" and win that bad boy for a song!....happy dance all the way around.... I finally owned the "bane" to my centaur collection.... and of course, that opened me up to starting the publisher again!

1- Whiz 22

favorite comic, period... many know this story...1975 Shazam tv show is very popular, one of my sat morn favs...so that summer, I am staying with my grandmother in Atlanta GA for a few weeks,and I really wanted a Shazam outfit/costume and my "mimi" had agreed to make me one, but she could not get enough detail from the tv so, so we went to a comic store and I see the whiz 22 poster!... we buy it, she makes me the outfit, and, as the story goes, she beats me with a broom stick for "flying" from her sewing table onto the couches... but I digress...

I had to have the original comic of the "impossible" cover (billy and shazam together)....so, there was no internet then, etc and I don't think I procured a copy as a child...it was later that I bought my first copy out of a CBG ad in the 1980s.... since then, I slowly try to buy every copy I see, including beaters all the way up to the MH cgc 9.4 copy...

honorable mention 6-10 would include:

Terrific 5

Wonderworld 8

Batman 47

Zip 22

Batman 1

:applause: [font:Times New Roman]Great list! (esp. Pep #34 & Wonderworld #8) :cloud9:

Alas, m'thinks I have way too many honorable mentions. :sorry:

Here's another of my favorites that was difficult leaving to overlook the first round. This one features some of Timely's most formidable second string players and some of the last work S&K did before moving on to DC.

Killer cover, nice pedigree and a very tough book in grade.

Daring Mystery #8 deserves special mention as one of two long sought grails acquired through MrBedrock.

This one was an unexpected, much appreciated treat...

b6c24532-13f6-492d-b8a3-20b3e0512cc2_zps6669407e.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks, buddy! [/font] :cloud9:

o

5...Pep 34...

I first desired this comic in 2006 when I saw a friends copy at sdcc... I spent the next 3 years looks for a copy...any copy, to buy...in 2009 I believe, my buddy Jimmy E (Frisco Larson) gave me a copy of the cover only, to the book....

well, that only ignited my search...that summer, I believe another good buddy located a copy for me, and graciously sold it to me...my first copy!...well, then the floodgates opened...after not being able to find a copy for years, I was able to purchase like 6-7 copies over the next 2 years (all of which I parted with to friends/fellow collectors)...

A certain amount of glare is unavoidable

2-Amazing Man 26....

many know the story...I got hooked on Centaurs in 2007 or so, and aimed to accomplish what few others had (jonberk and centaurman)...a complete publisher (about 292 books I believe).... after only 3 years, I had accumulated 250 or so of the publisher, by 2010, but one book I didn't think I would ever get, was aman 26...win had been looking for almost 10 years for a copy, and he was nearer completion than me...so, I "gave" up...I sold almost all my centaurs and pouted for years...until..... one fateful ebay night, a copy pops up on my watch list.... I "hush" the "in the know growd" and win that bad boy for a song!....happy dance all the way around.... I finally owned the "bane" to my centaur collection.... and of course, that opened me up to starting the publisher again!

I ain't no squealer, son. But who are you callin' a "growd"?

here are a couple I actually had scanned (I don't really scan my comics any more)

:cry:

Just adding a one pick at the present need to get a scan up--Marvel Mystery # 46 the Green headed Hitler----classic cover----N

mine ain't nice enuff to post, but two of my timely geeks have high-graders. show him somthing, geeks.

:cry:

I like that Whiz cover in the big and small format.

4828428132_1c918444ed_z.jpg

Just adding a one pick at the present need to get a scan up--Marvel Mystery # 46 the Green headed Hitler----classic cover----N

mine ain't nice enuff to post, but two of my timely geeks have high-graders. show him somthing, geeks.

(thumbs u

marvel46s_zpsaeac4a14.jpg

(thumbs u

mm46.jpg

(thumbs u

mm46.jpg

(worship)

[font:Times New Roman]I think we should needle West into breaking down and buying a decent scanner.[/font] :gossip:

(thumbs u

mm46.jpg

(worship)

[font:Times New Roman]I think we should needle West into breaking down and buying a decent scanner.[/font] :gossip:

I spent 200 bucks on a huge legal-size scanner and it scans CGC books like mess!

(thumbs u

One of the very best Hitler covers! Any copy is nice enough to post.

mm46cgc_zps0c774c78.jpg

This list has been updated, revised (slightly) from the first post and bumped... :bump:

[font:Times New Roman]We all have favorites that work their way into our hearts and minds as central to our collections. They may be keys in a larger run of books or just stand out rarities that we love just a tad more than the rest of our cherished acquisitions. I'm not asking anyone to defend their choices, but rather to separate the greatest books out, explain their personal appeal and celebrate them without respect to any particular order (such as a Top 10 list countdown) although you can take that approach if you like.

Without further adieu, here are mine...

ba7ed08a-6500-430e-be7e-d3687d2108e3_zps76b0af3d.jpg

Human Torch #5(B) has one of my favorite Schomburg covers and features an epic book-length fire vs water battle carried over from the serialized story in Marvel Mystery Comics. This was the last issue of HT featuring the explosion blurb behind the title and Namor's high voltage tank and invasion army sets it off well. Absolutely killer book, and very tough in grade.

d3749b17-e9cc-47cc-bb0f-6793ffa511bc_zps58cee5b9.jpg

Hit #18 may be my favorite superhero cover rendering of the GA. Between the anatomical accuracy and perspective rendering Reed Crandall took superhero cover art to a point that wouldn't be seen again until the likes of Brian Bolland and Alex Ross some 50 years later. Next to Will Eisner and Lou Fine, Crandall was one of the most accomplished comic illustrators of the era.

857db293-afb3-4300-9548-80b381c8c17d_zpsgvik7ryt.jpg

Silver Streak #7 is an awesome book! Before Hitler threatened to conquer the world there was The Claw, an alien creature of evil intent capable of changing size to match his villainy. In Daredevil verses the Claw, Jack Cole brilliantly illustrated four installments of a serialized battle that raged for five issues. Cole illustrated 4 stories in this issue (Daredevil. Silver Streak, Pirate Prince & Dickie Dean Boy Inventor). That's over half the book (38 pages) not to mention the phenomenal cover, ...a true GA classic!

607d08d7-b4c3-47e5-9e9e-dd6318be8f2e_zpssxdjksmn.jpg

DBH (aka Daredevil #1) is probably the most audacious cover of the GA. It may not be the most well rendered art as Woodro (aka Bob Wood and Charles Biro) weren't known as great illustrators, but who can argue that these guys didn't know how to compose a superb funny book cover that jumps off the newsstand. If there's a cover that stands out more or takes on Hitler better, I haven't come across it.

DBH-MIA ... Alas, after Daredevil and the Allied Forces stomped Hitler there was little left for him to do, so he retired within his own title only to be unceremoniously replaced by the Little Wise Guys! :cry:

f6ceac38-7fc9-497d-8bb6-893540431ced_zpsb4966efa.jpg

Cat-Man #2 features my favorite Charles Quinlan cover. The boldness of displaying the hero in action from behind and above combined with an accurate rendering of figures, shadows, cars and design elements makes this a unique and visually stunning cover. Quinlan was always an excellent artist, but many of his covers are routine combat or reaction scenes, typical of the era. This one stands out.

a125db88-9c1c-4c2f-9de8-c503243df442_zps8d9ccde1.jpg

Toward the end of the Cat-Man run L.B. Cole produced some stunning covers that reflect his attention to balanced design and bold iconic imagery. The cover of Cat-Man #31, depicting hungry wolves under the direction of their villainous master surrounding Cat-Man & Kitten in a snowfield is one of my personal favorites of the run.

1ad848c6-6fc3-4d96-a341-5f7525d7af3b_zps9opkgqtg.jpg

Mystic #7 is da bomb for Destroyer covers. There are so many great Jack Kirby covers, but the visual of Hitler unleashing demons upon a chained diplomat as the Destroyer drops in to close the lid on the Führer's scheme and rescue the victim in a Timely manner provides just the right recipe for high-octane action, making this'n a classic.

1db03b54-878b-4d26-87ba-a4230417b91c_zps5ce4da9c.jpg

Mystic V.2 #2 almost defies description. I don't know what Syd Shores was smokin', but his depiction of the Angel bursting in to confront a skeletal mad scientist in swastika headband injecting bondaged babes with an oversized hypodermic syringe is one of Timely's most gonzo War era covers. Whew! What's not to love about this over-the-top mayhem?

5dd38355-99e6-4fb5-a860-f5a9767a93b1_zps1ed40395.jpg

Pep #9 stands out as one of artist Irv Novick's best covers. Usually GA super heroes are depicted fighting criminals, super villains or Axis armies. It's much rarer to find covers where they're using their super powers to save folks from natural disasters and this one, given it's difficult perspective rendering is outstanding.

d73ace72-64b5-4a90-bc90-3a638a9ddc42_zpsa8cbc4c5.jpg27feaf1b-8331-4386-95ac-43a8ab9772b8_zpst2zlfxpz.jpg

All Winners #19 & 21 ...In filling out this list I was forced to make a choice that would involve omitting a tenth book or breaking my own rule by adding an eleventh book. I just couldn't choose between the first and last issues that featured the All Winners Squad. The only two issues in the run, in fact. If there can be only ten which one would you pick? These two books embody the spirit of the late GA and what could have been if a war hadn't intervened, ergo a team of superheroes battling clever megalomaniacal super villains. It would be fifteen more years 'till latter day Marvel would pick up the Torch Timely lit for another team effort.

b4c713aa-b94a-4d42-b691-88fc38dd6ef8_zps4f77a4e6.jpg

Hit #1 was a tough call. Leaving this one out just wasn't an option. There were so many books with great covers that I wanted to include in this list. On any given day (Kirby Caps, USA & Daring Mystery covers, Baker Phantom Lady covers, an Ingles Haunt of Fear cover, countless Schomburg covers from various publishers, etc.) might rise to the top of anyone's list, but for some reason the idea of not including at least one Lou Fine cover in the mix seemed like sacrilege. It's worth noting that Fine produced many outstanding, highly prized covers & interiors. His anatomy was inarguably erratic, but what makes Fine's work stand out is emotional content, detail and delicate line work. His covers almost always convey drama through well posed scenes punctuated by dynamic flourishes and this one is exceptional, IMO.

Well, there you have it. Merryweather's Top Ten list, or rather today's Top Ten Eleven list.

Who knows which second bananas will a'peel tomorrow ... :banana: ...(or as it's turning out, two years later)

Now it's your turn. Take your time and have some fun with this. Let's see what'cha got and why they're your faves! [/font]

Revisions, additions & upgrades encouraged!

Here's another I've added since starting this thread that I'd have to find a place for among my favorite ten... :cry:

96e8f50b-d5dd-4389-94f7-e8a955760a5b_zps1008e2a6.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Detective Comics #18 ...Creig Valentine Flessel's superb rendering of the insidious Dr. Fu Manchu is one of the finest covers of the early GA. This image captures the focused, diabolical nature of one of the world's most brilliant criminal masterminds in remarkable detail and blended color palette.[/font]

...but what would I drop! :ohnoez:

Maybe I should change subject header to a dozen favorites, ...or better yet, a Baker's dozen, then I could add Phantom Lady! :D

I've always liked Action Comics 50. I like all GA Action covers with the early GA depiction of Superman in the circle logo in the the upper left corner. Most importantly, the artists depict Superman at his finest--rescuing a group of miners. I always think of the 1930s and 1940s as the Golden Age of the American Labor Movement as well and John L. Lewis and the UMW were at the forefront of the great union organizing drives. SOLIDARITY FOREVER and UNION MINERS STAND TOGETHER.

002_2.jpg