• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

Waiting to hear Gator's top GA list and the stories behind them... hm

hm

I know one of them is a Capt Marvel Adv, but can't remember which......

hm

no CMA in my top 5....but you are on the right road...

Whiz 22 and Batman 47 will be in his top books for sure :)

Waiting to hear Gator's top GA list and the stories behind them... hm

hm

I know one of them is a Capt Marvel Adv, but can't remember which......

hm

no CMA in my top 5....but you are on the right road...

Whiz 22 and Batman 47 will be in his top books for sure :)

I'd guess Detective #27 is high on the list since Detective27kid used to be his board name.

It facinates me that someone who would spend $14,000.00 on a comic book. Would think twice about spending $150.00 on a scanner. Especially someone who is actually "in love" with a comic book or ten.

I see this a lot on this web site. Boggles the mind.

I bought my Microtek i800 on Ebay for about $100.00. Works great and there is no way it could hurt a comic book, that is scanned once on each side.

No way.

I didn't see them that cheap the last time I looked. There were quite a few boardies that recommended another model so i bought that one.

I was only kidding about it hurting a comic book. Just being silly.

the microtec is by far the best for scanning slabs.

[font:Times New Roman]My HP does a good job even though occasionally getting inner-well induced glare with thicker slabs. There are simple tricks for getting rid of most glare.

If it's a legal document sized HP scanner (CCD) at a reasonable price point I think he'll be pretty darned happy with it.[/font] (thumbs u

I bought the HP 8300

(thumbs u

[font:Times New Roman]Great scanner, Bill (my opinion). Never had any problems with mine.

Using Photobucket to edit your uploaded images (crop and experiment with image enhancement) you should get excellent results every time.[/font]

Installed it this morning. Here is the first scan I've made using it, no adjustments or edits, using basic included scanning software. Not bad in my view

scan0001_zps7604f3f7.jpg

ok, so what are my 5 favorite GA books that I have in my collection right now (note, that doesn't mean 5 favs overall, but what is in my collection this moment)...

5...Pep 34...

I first desired this comic in 2006 when I saw a friends copy at sdcc... I spent the next 3 years looks for a copy...any copy, to buy...in 2009 I believe, my buddy Jimmy E (Frisco Larson) gave me a copy of the cover only, to the book....

well, that only ignited my search...that summer, I believe another good buddy located a copy for me, and graciously sold it to me...my first copy!...well, then the floodgates opened...after not being able to find a copy for years, I was able to purchase like 6-7 copies over the next 2 years (all of which I parted with to friends/fellow collectors)...

4-Superman 14....a relatively "common" GA book, but dare I say one of the MOST iconic images of any comic....just love it, and always have to have a copy in my collection (whether a beater or a vf).... at one point in time (I believe Oct of 2010) I had 22 copies of this book....I displayed them all (except for 1 I kept for me), and started slowly selling them off over the next year or 2... but I always reload when I get down to 1-2 "for sale" copies....that said, one always resides in the ole box

3-World's Finest 66....

weird choice, right?...well, I collect 1950's GA issues of World's Finest (combines my favorite Batman and superman)....my goal was issue 40-80 in as nice of shape (unrestored) as I could find... I started this run in 2004...now, for those that know me, I rarely take my time at putting runs together...but, in this instance, 2010 rolls around and I have every issue, save 1....you guessed it....#66.... for whatever reason, I either could never find, or I would miss out on a rare opp to buy (on ebay, or at cons, etc).... I finally see one in a heritage sunday auction in 2011 and I'll be darned if that book isn't going to be mine!...and, one stupidly high snipe bid later...it was.... since then (7 years initially looking), I have seen numerous examples come to market...but oh...66 will always hold that place for me, and will be the last WF I sell (if I ever sell the run)...

2-Amazing Man 26....

many know the story...I got hooked on Centaurs in 2007 or so, and aimed to accomplish what few others had (jonberk and centaurman)...a complete publisher (about 292 books I believe).... after only 3 years, I had accumulated 250 or so of the publisher, by 2010, but one book I didn't think I would ever get, was aman 26...win had been looking for almost 10 years for a copy, and he was nearer completion than me...so, I "gave" up...I sold almost all my centaurs and pouted for years...until..... one fateful ebay night, a copy pops up on my watch list.... I "hush" the "in the know growd" and win that bad boy for a song!....happy dance all the way around.... I finally owned the "bane" to my centaur collection.... and of course, that opened me up to starting the publisher again!

1- Whiz 22

favorite comic, period... many know this story...1975 Shazam tv show is very popular, one of my sat morn favs...so that summer, I am staying with my grandmother in Atlanta GA for a few weeks,and I really wanted a Shazam outfit/costume and my "mimi" had agreed to make me one, but she could not get enough detail from the tv so, so we went to a comic store and I see the whiz 22 poster!... we buy it, she makes me the outfit, and, as the story goes, she beats me with a broom stick for "flying" from her sewing table onto the couches... but I digress...

I had to have the original comic of the "impossible" cover (billy and shazam together)....so, there was no internet then, etc and I don't think I procured a copy as a child...it was later that I bought my first copy out of a CBG ad in the 1980s.... since then, I slowly try to buy every copy I see, including beaters all the way up to the MH cgc 9.4 copy...

so, what do you think (shrug)

honorable mention 6-10 would include:

Terrific 5

Wonderworld 8

Batman 47

Zip 22

Batman 1

It facinates me that someone who would spend $14,000.00 on a comic book. Would think twice about spending $150.00 on a scanner. Especially someone who is actually "in love" with a comic book or ten.

I bought my Microtek i800 on Ebay for about $100.00. Works great and there is no way it could hurt a comic book, that is scanned once on each side.

No way.

I didn't see them that cheap the last time I looked. There were quite a few boardies that recommended another model so i bought that one.

[font:Times New Roman]My HP does a good job even though occasionally getting inner-well induced glare with thicker slabs. There are simple tricks for getting rid of most glare.

If it's a legal document sized HP scanner (CCD) at a reasonable price point I think he'll be pretty darned happy with it.[/font] (thumbs u

I bought the HP 8300

(thumbs u

[font:Times New Roman]Great scanner, Bill (my opinion). Never had any problems with mine.

Using Photobucket to edit your uploaded images (crop and experiment with image enhancement) you should get excellent results every time.[/font]

Installed it this morning. Here is the first scan I've made using it, no adjustments or edits, using basic included scanning software. Not bad in my view

scan0001_zps7604f3f7.jpg

That looks nice, Bill. Not Microtek i800 nice....but nice (thumbs u

Thanks Richard.

I'm messing around with the settings to try and improve the scans. One thing I notice about scans from this scanner and from the Mictotek is the high contrast. This seems to be the hardest to eliminate. Probably have to use an external editor to make that more natural looking

No way.

I bought the HP 8300

(thumbs u

scan0001_zps7604f3f7.jpg

That looks nice, Bill. Not Microtek i800 nice....but nice (thumbs u

Is this'n Microtek i800 nice... :whistle:

8a27fc0c-4bb3-476e-a565-0013cb420df7_zpsf52d9420.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Image courtesy of HP Scanjet 8300 by proxy. [/font] :baiting: