• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

Richard was there an abundance of high grade Timely's being showcased back in the 70's or were they for the most part still hidden in the now famous collections we are all familiar with today? I was just a kid but for what little I recall SA material was dominant, can't recall any GA books being on display at one of the big LCS we had in town.

2 - The Pacific Coast silver age pedigree was originally accumulated by Carl Macek, one of the partners in The American Comic Book Co. in the seventies and eighties. Shortly after selling most of the collection to Robert Roter, Carl and his wife moved to Houston to do some work for ADV Films, at that time a powerhouse anime film company based in Houston. One day Carl walked in with a stack of silver age DCs and Gold Keys including a run of Atom and Star Trek, all obviously from the same collection. He also had one golden age book ...

So all of the stuff about the PC OO being a librarian is bunk? When you refer to the seventies and eighties, is that when he accumulated the books or when he was a partner in The American Comic Book Co.? Because I`ve always assumed he must have purchased the books off the newsstand because of their uniformly high quality, particularly their phenomenal QP.

Are the Atoms and Star Treks now designated as PCs?

I first met Carl when he was working for ACBC in the mid to late '70s and setting up at Houston Cons and San Diego Cons during that time. In fact, at the '78 Houston Con I bought the San Fransisco copy of Marvel 28 from him (he had 28 and 29). I don't know when he accumulated the PC collection, but I assume it was his original collection before working there. Could he have been upgrading while there? Possibly, I guess only he would know if all of those books were actually bought off the stands or not. After talking with CGC all of the silver age books that I bought from him were designated as PCs, though I had sold some of them raw to others prior to their being slabbed. They were all killer. The best was a double cover Star Trek 2 which graded 9.8.

Do you know where the SF copy of the Marvel #28 is now? Was it a nice copy or is your Chicago copy better?

Top 10 books that have walked into the store...

I've been fortunate to have had some pretty cool books offered to me by folks who live in this area. Here are my ten favorites that I have managed to hang on to...

Loved the post. What a great Wonder # 12!

2 - The Pacific Coast silver age pedigree was originally accumulated by Carl Macek, one of the partners in The American Comic Book Co. in the seventies and eighties. Shortly after selling most of the collection to Robert Roter, Carl and his wife moved to Houston to do some work for ADV Films, at that time a powerhouse anime film company based in Houston. One day Carl walked in with a stack of silver age DCs and Gold Keys including a run of Atom and Star Trek, all obviously from the same collection. He also had one golden age book ...

So all of the stuff about the PC OO being a librarian is bunk? When you refer to the seventies and eighties, is that when he accumulated the books or when he was a partner in The American Comic Book Co.? Because I`ve always assumed he must have purchased the books off the newsstand because of their uniformly high quality, particularly their phenomenal QP.

I first met Carl when he was working for ACBC in the mid to late '70s and setting up at Houston Cons and San Diego Cons during that time. In fact, at the '78 Houston Con I bought the San Fransisco copy of Marvel 28 from him (he had 28 and 29). I don't know when he accumulated the PC collection, but I assume it was his original collection before working there. Could he have been upgrading while there? Possibly, I guess only he would know if all of those books were actually bought off the stands or not. After talking with CGC all of the silver age books that I bought from him were designated as PCs, though I had sold some of them raw to others prior to their being slabbed. They were all killer. The best was a double cover Star Trek 2 which graded 9.8.

Do you know where the SF copy of the Marvel #28 is now? Was it a nice copy or is your Chicago copy better?

2c [font:Times New Roman]All I know is that Richard's copy would be nice enough for me![/font] :gossip::cloud9:

Richard was there an abundance of high grade Timely's being showcased back in the 70's or were they for the most part still hidden in the now famous collections we are all familiar with today? I was just a kid but for what little I recall SA material was dominant, can't recall any GA books being on display at one of the big LCS we had in town.

High grade Timelys are much easier to find today than they were back then. But when they did show up there weren't a ton of folks paying the, for then, high prices.

I don't remember who I sold it to. It may have been one of the books that ended up with N. Cage. It wasn't as nice as the Chicago. Carl had the SF 28 and 29 together at that show. Both pretty, but I liked the cover of 28 better and, having the lawn mowing budget of a 13 yr. old, I could only afford one.

Great books, but on the HT 23 I would take the one of the left because it has more of the artwork on all sides.

Amazing story Bedrock love reading your posts. Simply jawdropping!

[font:Times New Roman]They both have strong points, but I agree, that's my favorite copy.

Left copy: virtually perfect registration, slightly more image, but it has a very small stain or mark under R of Torch.

Right copy: strong color imprint (robot is almost 3D), but color registration is off a hair and there's a bit less image on 3 sides (right, left & bottom).

And yes, Bedrock is da man! [/font] (thumbs u

Thanks Richard, great stuff! (thumbs u

It`s just too bad you weren`t the one who "discovered" the PC collection.

When did you find out that this fabulous collection was owned by a guy you`d known all along?

High grade Timelys are much easier to find today than they were back then. But when they did show up there weren't a ton of folks paying the, for then, high prices.

[font:Times New Roman]That's true. One reason high grade Timelys may be easier to find these days is because they bring such high prices. hm

Here ia another alternate that I was torn between placing on the faves list when starting this thread...

4403d71f-cc7e-4fd8-b15d-513238c4ce7a_zpsfcd0876e.jpg

Not much of a story behind this acquisition, that's why I decided not to include it initially, but it's such a nice copy that I may just make something up! lol

[/font]

[font:Times New Roman]That's true. One reason high grade Timelys may be easier to find these days is because they bring such high prices. hm

Here ia another alternate that I was torn between placing on the faves list when starting this thread...

Not much of a story behind this acquisition, that's why I decided not to include it initially, but it's such a nice copy that I may just make something up! lol

[/font]

It's a Larson... that's story enough! (thumbs u

[/font]

cat...tell them story of how you didn't buy this from me when I broke my largely Larson MMC run and practically wanted to "give": you the book lol .... you hymmed and hawed, but never pull the trigger...only after I sold it off, did you procure it... hm , maybe you don't like gator hm

Waiting to hear Gator's top GA list and the stories behind them... hm

hm

I know one of them is a Capt Marvel Adv, but can't remember which......

hm

no CMA in my top 5....but you are on the right road...

[/font]

cat...tell them story of how you didn't buy this from me when I broke my largely Larson MMC run and practically wanted to "give": you the book lol .... you hymmed and hawed, but never pull the trigger...only after I sold it off, did you procure it... hm ,

Must've had a brain fart... :cry:<<<

I did buy my HT #5 from you, with future considerations as it wasn't the highest graded copy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :sorry:

maybe you don't like gator hm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :o

>>>>> :foryou:

Gator2B.jpg

th_Cat_Animated.gif