• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The first KEY book you acquired

106 posts in this topic

I have been collecting since about 1996 when I stumbled into (of all places) a video store. That is when I saw a few comics at the counter. I read wizard and talked comics with friends so I knew that the Fantastic Four 16,19,20 were good property. I paid 20 dollars for all 3. (the 16 recently graded a 6.0) Those stories got me HOOKED. It wasn't long before I got my first key. I just loved the Silver Surfer :)

4ozp.jpg

I would probably out the same comic forward from my collection

I do have some tales of suspense with 1st titanium man, 1st SA red skull, 1st Modok, but I'm not entirely sure yet what rates as a true 'key'.

Maybe I'll be enlightened as the thread goes on.

Paul

When I first got into comics as a kid (1988) I bought what was the biggest key I could afford in my favorite character at the time, Wolverine Vol.1 #1 (actually got the whole Claremont/Miller 1-4).

When I got back into comics as an adult a couple years ago, the first real key I bought was Incredible Hulk #181. That was the first real "expensive" comic I bought.

The first silver age key I bought, and I suppose the first mega-key, was X-Men #1.

I think the first "key", although a minor one, has been Fantastic Four #3, which I picked up as a CGC 3.0 about ten years ago. Then I upgraded to a better raw copy with minimal color touch so I can read it… :D

As far as Golden Age goes, I think the closer I have to a key book is a low grade copy of National Comics #18, with the Pearl Harbor anticipation story (don’t have a scan at hand).

5Gk5ERth.jpg

My first keys where Conan #1 of the newstand for cover and then again in 1975 for 1 thin dime in 1975 and Marvel Spotlight #5 for $2, Kamandi #1 when it first came out for cover. I started getting comics in 1968 was I was 8. My grandmother bought them for me at a Safeway in Montana. The first major key I bought myself was in 1979 a ASM #1. My mother thought I was crazy for spending $365 for it then.

Depends on the definition of "key."

If it's "key" broadly defined, probably ASM 129 picked from a LCS for about $1 back around 1979. I still have it.

If it's "key" more narrowly defined, probably ASM #1, picked it up at a con in 2005.

Daredevil #1 in about a Fine range in 1990 or so from Shooting Star Comics in North York, Ontario.

God, I loved that book.

Daredevil #1 in about a Fine range in 1990 or so from Shooting Star Comics in North York, Ontario.

God, I loved that book.

That's an underrated book. Man, the quality of the Bill Everett art in that book is astounding. It's the most beautiful Marvel key, IMHO.

God, I loved that book.

That's an underrated book. Man, the quality of the Bill Everett art in that book is astounding. It's the most beautiful Marvel key, IMHO.

I agree. Just shockingly good story telling. I was also a huge fan of the Wood art in the first 10 or so issues as well.

Good morning! After giving it some thought I think my first key purchases were Fantastic Four 48, 49, and 50. I purchased each one for $5 (this was probably in 1975, or so) in what I would grade as very fine (49 and 50 might even grade a little higher). They are still a nice part of my collection.

In the mid-80's I went looking for and found a copy of Daredevil #1 (which was graded last year at 7.0). I think that this was my first big(ger) key. At the time I was looking for this book my LCS came across and sold me a slew of low to mid-grade keys at ridiculous prices (I still cry over not buying a G / VG FF#4 for $5).