• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Comics is leaving NYC for Burbank...

35 posts in this topic

Newsarama has learned DC Entertainment plans to move their comic book publishing operations from its long-time home at 1700 Broadway, NYC to their Burbank, CA offices, sometime in 2015.

The plans were announced to DCE NY staffers via an email from DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson Tuesday afternoon.

The email reads as follows:

Dear DCE Team,

As I hope you know, I and the entire DCE exec team work hard to offer transparency about as much of our business plans and results as we possibly and responsibly can. In an effort to continue to do that where possible and to ensure you are hearing news from us, rather than a third party, I am proactively reaching out to you this afternoon to share news about our business.

I can confirm that plans are in the works to centralize DCE’s operations in 2015. Next week, the Exec Team will be in New York for a series of meetings to walk everyone through the plans to relocate the New York operations to Burbank. The move is not imminent and we will have more than a year to work with the entire company on a smooth transition for all of us, personally and professionally.

Everyone on the New York staff will be offered an opportunity to join their Burbank colleagues and those details will be shared with you individually, comprehensively and thoughtfully next week. Meeting notifications will be sent tomorrow to ensure the roll out of this information and how it affects the company and you personally.

We know this will be a big change for people and we will work diligently to make this as smooth and seamless a transition as possible.

Best,

Diane

Many industry observers have considered the move inevitable for several years, particularly after their executive restructuring in February 2010 that installed the California-based Jim Lee and Dan DiDio as co-publishers, and California-based Geoff Johns as Chief Creative Officer.

At the time, DCE made it clear their intentions were to better integrate the publishing operation with their film, TV, animation, gaming, and consumer product interests.

"Diane’s asked me to take our comic book world, embrace it (as I do) and use it to lead the creative charge on bringing it all to film, toys, television, video games, animation and beyond," said Johns, at the time DC’s first-ever CCO, in a statement.

Kevin Tsujihara’s appointment as CEO of Warner Bros. CEO earlier this year might also be a factor in the move. Tsujihara has made it clear that leveraging DC’s intellectual property across multiple entertainment platforms is a priority for the company.

:applause: I think its great news.....

being a west coast guy :gossip:

+1

Agree with you there.

Californication..., :facepalm:

A business moving to California might make national news. Been a bunch of articles over the last year or so about California businesses fleeing to other states.

A struggling medium moving to a struggling state doesn't make much sense at first blush. Is there a strong core of publishing operations in California? Or is it speaking to just how much emphasis will be shifting to all those satellite mediums mentioned (film, toys, television, video games, animation)?

This was originally reported 3 years ago . I'm kind of suprised it's taking as long as it has.

Warner owns or leases a massive amount of office space in Burbank, and has been consolidating their holdings for years, so it makes sense they would do this.