• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those Comics in Your Basement?

402 posts in this topic

According to Bloomberg Businessweek are probably worthless. Funny article on the ever decreasing value of comics from the last 30 years.

Interesting quote from Walter Durajlija owner of Big B Comics in Hamilton, Ont

"sold a copy of Uncanny X-Men No. 94 in 2010 for a record $26,500. Last year, that same comic sold in his store for only $12,000. “[My] last two sales [of X-Men No. 94] were $9,501 in February of 2013 and $8,089 three short days later,” he says. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. “Incredible Hulk No. 181 was getting $20,000; they now trade for $8,000.”

So a shop owner, who's in the business of buying books from the uninformed and selling them to the informed, is push a narrative in a general public type publication that key books are worth less than in the past?

Cant imagine an ulterior motive there....

Sounds like he was collecting modern comics..

And for his information according to GPA Hulk181 has increased steadily for many years..

I assume he is talking about high grade books, and if so he is correct. Far from increasing steadily, high grade bronze books have taken a huge dive. Here is GPA for 9.8 Hulk 181:

181gpa.jpg

They need to make more press pieces like this, so these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on craigslist stop insisting that their garbage is worth a small fortune

Troo-dat, troo-dat! lol

And for his information according to GPA Hulk181 has increased steadily for many years..

I assume he is talking about high grade books, and if so he is correct. Far from increasing steadily, high grade bronze books have taken a huge dive. Here is GPA for 9.8 Hulk 181:

181gpa.jpg

Shocking to see the spike in 2008-2009 when everything in the real world went in the toilet. :grin:

181gpa.jpg

Yeah, but stupid money chased every so called "Single Highest Graded" copy to ridiculous prices at the early years of CGC and now the books are coming down to where they should be based on they're availability visa vie demand.

I think Hulk #181 is a good investment long term in the 7.5-9.2/4 range for years to come as the 9.6 and 9.8 copies sell far above what most collectors would spend on a BA key.

181gpa.jpg

Which brings firmly into focus the danger of paying stupid money for a very common book, in a grade which was always going to increase in number.

20k for a Hulk 181 in 9.8 was going to end differently how?

That book and NM98 were, and most definitely still are, in line for a massive fall in VHG.

2c

181gpa.jpg

Shocking to see the spike in 2008-2009 when everything in the real world went in the toilet. :grin:

That happened across all comic ages and multiple hobbies, not just comics. Guns, art, and coins surged as well. Best explanation I've heard is that when the stock market tanked, people generally began putting their money into hard assets like gold, art, and collectibles. After a year or so that died off.

“[My] last two sales [of X-Men No. 94] were $9,501 in February of 2013 and $8,089 three short days later,” he says.

Hmm, so if you sell two of the same books in "undisclosed" condition, you might get less the second time? I wonder if that might be because one potential buyer just bought from you three days ago and was not available for a bidding war?

181gpa.jpg

Which brings firmly into focus the danger of paying stupid money for a very common book, in a grade which was always going to increase in number.

20k for a Hulk 181 in 9.8 was going to end differently how?

That book and NM98 were, and most definitely still are, in line for a massive fall in VHG.

2c

Not to mention BA12 . . . :whistle:

According to Bloomberg Businessweek are probably worthless. Funny article on the ever decreasing value of comics from the last 30 years.

Interesting quote from Walter Durajlija owner of Big B Comics in Hamilton, Ont

"sold a copy of Uncanny X-Men No. 94 in 2010 for a record $26,500. Last year, that same comic sold in his store for only $12,000. [My] last two sales [of X-Men No. 94] were $9,501 in February of 2013 and $8,089 three short days later, he says. And thats just the tip of the iceberg. Incredible Hulk No. 181 was getting $20,000; they now trade for $8,000.

:screwy:

181gpa.jpg

Hehehehe.. now THAT is selective choice of information.

9.8 is pretty much the ONLY grade that has fallen.

Here is the price development of grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9.2, and 9,4. All significantly increased.

veud.png

o9w1.png

ppi5.png

na6f.png

i5rj.png

fox0.png

784o.png

kuwe.png

jnm3.png

p735.png

87p2.png

m332.png

So, no. He is not correct. Hulk181 has increased in value for 99% of books over the past many years.

181gpa.jpg

Yeah, but stupid money chased every so called "Single Highest Graded" copy to ridiculous prices at the early years of CGC and now the books are coming down to where they should be based on they're availability visa vie demand.

^^ ^^ ^^:applause:

vis-à-vis

:whistle: