• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official 2013 CGC Forums Holiday Gift Exchange Sign-up!

950 posts in this topic

You all realize it's still November right? Unless you're international, there's really no rush... (shrug)

But there are always those who put it off until the last minute, and then forget to ship it out until after the new year, if ever. lol

It all balances out this way. :insane:

EXACTLY! As soon as my other pieces arrive in the mail in the next few days for my SS, I'm at the post office - that day!

Dan

Does it sound cheesy that I am actually excited over what I found my recipient ? I am a Brooklyn born Italian American - we grew up living for this holiday.

I get it. This is my first year in the Gift Exchange and I'm totally into searching for something that my recipient might like. Now I just need to learn about his comic interests, I'm totally unfamiliar with them! lol

Does it sound cheesy that I am actually excited over what I found my recipient ? I am a Brooklyn born Italian American - we grew up living for this holiday.

I get it. This is my first year in the Gift Exchange and I'm totally into searching for something that my recipient might like. Now I just need to learn about his comic interests, I'm totally unfamiliar with them! lol

I'm with you guys! Last year my SS recipient was into J Scott Campbel, whom I knew NOTHInG about. By the end of secret Santa I could spot a Danger Girl European variant at 40 yards.

Lots of fun, and this years no different! Hunting for presents is a ton of fun!

Heading to Toys R Us this afternoon for stuff for my kids, may have to add a little something to my gifted one while I'm there. Nothing else I think I'll pick up some decent wrapping paper. I'm thinking Sofia the first should be embarrasing enough :lol:

This was a tough one for me as my SS wanted stuff to read.

Being a complete comic geek, I spent a couple of hours thinking of my favorite trades and graphic novels and typing up a list, which actually ended up being quite fun. Some of this stuff I had not read in thirty-five years!

What was also fun, but frustrating, was trying to pick one or two great reads for my SS out of about a hundred trades and graphic novels on "my favorites" list. It took forever. I was asking myself if I should pick mainstream superhero, a non-mainstream superhero, a mainstream non-super hero, a non-mainstream non-superhero, etc. Too many choices!

Sooooo.....Now it's late at night, I poured myself a glass of Pino Noir, went on Amazon, and went though pages and pages, reading reviews by others who bought books that were on my list and, everytime I found a "perfect candidate", I added it to my cart.

By this time, I was on my second glass of wine, and decided to check my cart. Holy Moly! There were about twenty books! doh!

It took me about another hour to pick which books could be (painfully) removed and I still had eight books in my cart and one that was only available in HC. Poured another glass of wine, stared at my cart for a while and thought "Screw it, let my SS (hopefully) have as much fun reading these as I did!" and hit the checkout button so I would not have to think anymore.

They arrived in the mail today. Looking over the eight books in hand, I was pretty proud of my choices. They were, IMHO, a really cool mix of well written and well drawn hero and non-hero books. I just hope my SS loves at least one of them, likes the rest, and has not read any of them before :wishluck:

This was a really fun experience and has got me to start re-reading many of the books I choose.

Thanks to our host for putting this together for all of us! (worship) I really had a great time! (thumbs u

Peace,

-Steve

Steve that sounds like a fun night!

I just pulled out the "it's for my secret Santa" in an eBay "or best offer" negotiation... Totally worked ;) and now I'm done. Just waiting for stuff to Arrive so I can gift it all up!

Don't tell my wife but I have WAY more fun shopping for you guys than for her!

Steve that sounds like a fun night!

I just pulled out the "it's for my secret Santa" in an eBay "or best offer" negotiation... Totally worked ;) and now I'm done. Just waiting for stuff to Arrive so I can gift it all up!

Don't tell my wife but I have WAY more fun shopping for you guys than for her!

How much you gonna pay us not to tell her? :devil:

My plan was not to donate anything for the raffle this year because I lost my job 2 months ago and I have to save money, but it's just too much fun and I can't stand the thought of not giving away something. It will be a nice lot of 3 foreign comics from Germany (1980), France (1975) and Mexico (1974)!

GiftGuardian_nyc, you will receive a picture and infos tomorrow.

Hello Hello,

Quick raffle update:

Participating members: 109

Raffle donations:

Yes: 61

No: 27

Waiting for donation: 22

At this rate some members will get coal in their stocking if they're picked late. :sorry:

Have a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families.

I thought anyone in the SS automatically has to be in the raffle,am I wrong?

Hello Hello,

Quick raffle update:

Raffle donations:

At this rate some members will get coal in their stocking if they're picked late. :sorry:

You are absolutely correct, but donations are voluntary.

Hello Hello,

Quick raffle update:

Raffle donations:

You are absolutely correct, but donations are voluntary.

doh!

This was a tough one for me as my SS wanted stuff to read.

Being a complete comic geek, I spent a couple of hours thinking of my favorite trades and graphic novels and typing up a list, which actually ended up being quite fun. Some of this stuff I had not read in thirty-five years!

What was also fun, but frustrating, was trying to pick one or two great reads for my SS out of about a hundred trades and graphic novels on "my favorites" list. It took forever. I was asking myself if I should pick mainstream superhero, a non-mainstream superhero, a mainstream non-super hero, a non-mainstream non-superhero, etc. Too many choices!

Sooooo.....Now it's late at night, I poured myself a glass of Pino Noir, went on Amazon, and went though pages and pages, reading reviews by others who bought books that were on my list and, everytime I found a "perfect candidate", I added it to my cart.

By this time, I was on my second glass of wine, and decided to check my cart. Holy Moly! There were about twenty books! doh!

It took me about another hour to pick which books could be (painfully) removed and I still had eight books in my cart and one that was only available in HC. Poured another glass of wine, stared at my cart for a while and thought "Screw it, let my SS (hopefully) have as much fun reading these as I did!" and hit the checkout button so I would not have to think anymore.

They arrived in the mail today. Looking over the eight books in hand, I was pretty proud of my choices. They were, IMHO, a really cool mix of well written and well drawn hero and non-hero books. I just hope my SS loves at least one of them, likes the rest, and has not read any of them before :wishluck:

This was a really fun experience and has got me to start re-reading many of the books I choose.

Thanks to our host for putting this together for all of us! (worship) I really had a great time! (thumbs u

Peace,

-Steve

This sounds similar to my day. I work a fair amount of overnights and this morning after I was off I spent about 6 hours (had no idea it was that long at the time) looking up my recipient's interests and then checking posts he's made to get an idea of what he may or may not have already. Turns out he has registry entries on several of his favorites and they're mostly complete...so that made me think any trades or individual issues I might get would probably just duplicate what he already has. I started doing some searches and found a few things on ebay related to what he likes that I would enjoy if the situation were reversed. No BIN option so have to wait a few days to make sure I get them but now I'm excited about the find and just hope the shipping of these will be timely so I can get them off to him in time to let them wait under his tree for a week or 2.

Then I got some sleep and afterwards started looking up some ideas for character wrapping paper and to see if I could find any other items to toss in the mix. I'm finally about to head back to bed since I didn't get much sleep today but it has been so much fun already. Thanks GG for running the exchange and being accommodating to my lateness in finding this thread!

:whee:

I think some people are waiting for the raffle thread. I'm one of those people. :shy:

+1 (shrug)

PM'd a scan of my raffle item to our illustrious Gift Guardian Elf, but haven't heard back yet.

Maybe I should just post the scan of my raffle contribution here, in spoiler tags... hm

2bf86aa2-a882-4d02-8570-4f4aa63bacad_zps69f1c70b.jpg