• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official 2013 CGC Forums Holiday Gift Exchange Sign-up!

950 posts in this topic

As someone who lives life on a low budget, this was why I was so hesitant to join the Holiday Exchange. I was worried my person would complain about my gift.

Me too, and I'm more concerned because I would never know the right limit and would either come off as a cheapskate or crazy (not as crazy as greggy, but close).

You guys should participate. I would wager that nearly all participants simply enjoy taking part in it for the giving portion, rather than the receiving. I have so much fun putting it together on a budget, I don't even think about what I get. The whole program is a blast.

+1

+2

As someone who lives life on a low budget, this was why I was so hesitant to join the Holiday Exchange. I was worried my person would complain about my gift.

Me too, and I'm more concerned because I would never know the right limit and would either come off as a cheapskate or crazy (not as crazy as greggy, but close).

You guys should participate. I would wager that nearly all participants simply enjoy taking part in it for the giving portion, rather than the receiving. I have so much fun putting it together on a budget, I don't even think about what I get. The whole program is a blast.

The best part is participating in the thread, watching people get stuff and post it and be appreciative. Second best is picking stuff out and sending it, and getting that thanks either in the thread or via PM. A distant third is getting something...I'd pretty much have the same amount of fun if no one sent me anything. [let the Charlie Brown memes commence.]

i-got-a-rock.jpg

Dang, wrong holiday...

-slym

What in the sam hell is going on around here?

Apparently, for some people, the holiday gift exchange wasn't about it being "the thought that counts", but rather "Why didn't my Secret Santa" spend more money on my gift? rantrant

I received a broken slab from my Santa. When I asked him about it he confirmed that IT WAS broken already when he sent it to me and not during shipment.

Not cool...

Especially when it came out that it was a 9.8 slab for pete's sake. Nothing like getting a free gift than immediately going on-line to complain about it. Shows about as much tact as opening a present given to you from a loved one, then telling them to their faces, that it just wasn't good enough, even if what they spent on the gift they gave was the most they could afford to spend.

What in the sam hell is going on around here?

Apparently, for some people, the holiday gift exchange wasn't about it being "the thought that counts", but rather "Why didn't my Secret Santa" spend more money on my gift? rantrant

I received a broken slab from my Santa. When I asked him about it he confirmed that IT WAS broken already when he sent it to me and not during shipment.

Not cool...

Especially when it came out that it was a 9.8 slab for pete's sake. Nothing like getting a free gift than immediately going on-line to complain about it. Shows about as much tact as opening a present given to you from a loved one, then telling them to their faces, that it just wasn't good enough, even if what they spent on the gift they gave was the most they could afford to spend.

That is unbelievable,maybe he would like to kick his grandmother too! (tsk)

So I can reference for this years, can I get an idea of whats "expected" of a Secret Santa? I think I saw a $15 floor is that correct? Can/Should you send from your personal collection?

Also how did you Santa's navigate a want list, meaning were you worried you'd buy something they already had? That's what would worry me, that I would send someone issues that they already owned.

Hi Stanley,

No, the participants will fill out a form that tells you what they are interested in and collect. It is completely up to you what you get them though. You can give them something you already own or go out and buy something special for them. I could tell that my SS bought something especially for me that he knew I would like but you do not have to go to extremes like that. Also it is not a true limit. People have different means. Some will give a $15 gift, others might give a $500 gift. Its not about the value but about the fun so jump in next year and enjoy yourself. It is a great bonding experience! :)