• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan 275 low print run?

11 posts in this topic

I don't know but thanks for pointing out that this book has some value. I bought a couple of boxes of comics for $10 a few months ago. It was mostly early number 1s and full runs of the original Image comics like Savage Dragon, Shadow Hawk, Youngblood, and the like. One of the books was a super nice condition Conan 275. I had no idea.

it's a tough cover to get in HG and a pretty sweet one anyway. "low print run" is relative. remember the year...1994? print runs were hge compared to today. 40K was cancellation for marvel I think, but Conan wasn't really "cancelled" because it wasn't selling enough I think...they re-booted the series shortly thereafter. I'd guestimate it might be under 100K print-run. $15-$20 is the going rate.

OTOH, it was indeed a fading title and perhaps shops were loath to order many copies of a giant size issue they might get stuck with, so maye it did worse than the issue before it. Once you get into the 265-75 region the print-runs seem to be going down (maybe someone has data on this, I'm just going by perception as a conan collector)...remember, it wasn't the type of book subject to early 90s hype and speculation, the people reading conan had generally been doing so for a long time and they were reading it, not speculating on it

That's about it. I guess it came out as Valiant was on the downturn, so speculators probably felt burned by that. The Death of Superman and Batman: Knightfall events had come and gone the previous year, also burning speculators. Image had been around for a couple years as well, and those books never really took off as they were printed in the millions. And on and on (gimmick covers, poor storytelling, blah blah blah).

So, by 1994, I think the speculator market had already burned itself out when Conan 275 came around. Hell, I had no idea Conan was still on the shelves in the 90s. Must've just been one of those titles I completely disregarded every month. Add to that the factors mentioned previously about last-issue-itis on a long running title of little interest at that point.

I believe the market completely crashed in '95 or '96 once the distributors started falling like dominoes, and stores started going belly up by the hundreds. So, the copies of Conan 275 out there were probably even more likely to get tossed aside by an indifferent hobby base.

Sure, we give a lot of to the high levels of print runs during those times, but really, there's likely a good chunk of them that were tossed or mishandled once the crash happened and people considered them worthless. Which also means the truly scarcer titles by comparison were likely thrown out with them, such as Conan 275. And now we'll soon be coming up on the 25-year rule, so it'll be interesting to see how the market plays out for those early- to mid-90s books.

That's my theory anyway. Now we just sit and see how it plays out.... :popcorn:

That's about it. I guess it came out as Valiant was on the downturn, so speculators probably felt burned by that. The Death of Superman and Batman: Knightfall events had come and gone the previous year, also burning speculators. Image had been around for a couple years as well, and those books never really took off as they were printed in the millions. And on and on (gimmick covers, poor storytelling, blah blah blah).

So, by 1994, I think the speculator market had already burned itself out when Conan 275 came around. Hell, I had no idea Conan was still on the shelves in the 90s. Must've just been one of those titles I completely disregarded every month. Add to that the factors mentioned previously about last-issue-itis on a long running title of little interest at that point.

I believe the market completely crashed in '95 or '96 once the distributors started falling like dominoes, and stores started going belly up by the hundreds. So, the copies of Conan 275 out there were probably even more likely to get tossed aside by an indifferent hobby base.

Sure, we give a lot of to the high levels of print runs during those times, but really, there's likely a good chunk of them that were tossed or mishandled once the crash happened and people considered them worthless. Which also means the truly scarcer titles by comparison were likely thrown out with them, such as Conan 275. And now we'll soon be coming up on the 25-year rule, so it'll be interesting to see how the market plays out for those early- to mid-90s books.

Interesting and you are probably right on it. I fondly remember Knightfall and can't believe it was out so long ago.

Interesting and you are probably right on it. I fondly remember Knightfall and can't believe it was out so long ago.

We're getting old, aren't we? :cry:lol