• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Notorious production flaws thread

61 posts in this topic

Haven't seen anything like this here, but I believe it may help collectors and submitters. A thread that lists known and notorious production flaws that may be acceptable by CGC. The ones that come to mind are:

ASM 300- right edge of front of book sometimes has a rough cut

Wolverine 35 (1988) Evil spine tears

Just came to light: ASM 361- odd staple "popping", and tiny bottom edge cut near the center of back of book

Hulk 377 3rd print: what looks to be like white scratches on back cover that are just poor printing.

I'm sure there's a million more.

Every copy of New Teen Titans #44 I've seen have been miscut down the right side.

Holy mess!

I was just going to post about this. I didn't really notice until I was scanning today. Some are much worse than the others.

Worst:

TT_4_FC_E_zpse3b899ba.jpg

Not as bad:

TT_4_FC_D_zps7a7a2907.jpg

"Normal":

TT_44_FC_B_zps617a113d.jpg

"Marvel chipping" on GSXM 1s.

-slym

Really? I could be wrong but don't think I remember seeing a copy with Marvel chipping.

Are you talking about those pin holes at the bottom of the cover? I call those grabber marks and there are lots of BA books with those on them.

I'd say GSX #1 is famous for printer creases on the back cover, including interior pages. I see plenty of those.

DD #158 is another book that is almost always miswrapped.

Daredevil #7 is a clinical example of an issue riddled with production defects. Production creases, staple tears, Marvel chipping, ink transfer, miscuts, miswraps - it's almost impossible to find a copy without some sort of defect and some copies have all of those defects on one copy.

That's why I put it in quotations. I had a GSXM that had that and when I showed the pic, there were many different explanations offered. I just keep calling it "Marvel chipping" because people know what I mean (you did, Roy ;) ) even though it isn't really what it is.

(thumbs u

-slym

Defenders 1 most copies have the wrinkle on the cover going from right hand edge thru the defenders logo.

Tales to astonish 78 a few books have the staples pushed in tight.

Not all the books are like that in these 2 examples but most are when you know they are there.

ASM 121 gripper holes like on GSX 1.

XM 120 jagged cut and BRC FC chip out.

DD 158 also often has a red smudge on the tomb stone under DD's billy club.

DD 158 often mis-wrapped with ink smears along the spine.

All Star Western 10 almost always has a blue dot on the back in the advertisement.

Marvel Two in One Annual 2 ink loss on the bottom front cover.

Cerebus 1 has poor printing with multiple issues.

Secret Wars 8, (and I'm sure many white back covers have this) the green distributor ink? that always seem to seep through at the top. Especially after sitting in stacks. It almost looks like a grease stain if you open back cover. The ones I sent in came back 9.8's with this. 5DE97EAB-18C2-43DF-BDBB-6483F8423F85-12912-00000A1E26F36B74.jpg

Defenders 1 most copies have the wrinkle on the cover going from right hand edge thru the defenders logo.

Not all the books are like that in these 2 examples but most are when you know they are there.

Photo of Defenders #1 CGC 9.4

Photo of spine of Tales to Astonish #78 , raw copy and CGC 9.0 Pacific Coast copy.

Not all Defenders #1 or TTA #78 have this but most do

142598.jpg.b96c5d61e63fa5a30dbbc8e6bc6dbdf5.jpg

142599.jpg.aa91e6f912b734e9558cfcc90149f510.jpg

Recap:

ASM 300- right edge of front of book sometimes has a rough cut

Wolverine 35 (1988) Evil spine tears

Just came to light: ASM 361- odd staple "popping", and tiny bottom edge cut near the center of back of book

Hulk 377 3rd print: what looks to be like white scratches on back cover that are just poor printing.

Every copy of New Teen Titans #44 I've seen have been miscut down the right side.

I'd say GSX #1 is famous for printer creases on the back cover, including interior pages. I see plenty of those.

DD #158 is another book that is almost always miswrapped.

Daredevil #7 is a clinical example of an issue riddled with production defects. Production creases, staple tears, Marvel chipping, ink transfer, miscuts, miswraps - it's almost impossible to find a copy without some sort of defect and some copies have all of those defects on one copy.

Weird War Tales 1 always has that damn printers crease at the right of the title.

TOS 39 Quotation marks are always cut or missing

True Life Secrets #23 rubs.

Batman 222 frequently has a green label qualified for detached staple.

ASM 121 gripper holes like on GSX 1.

XM 120 jagged cut and BRC FC chip out.

DD 158 also often has a red smudge on the tomb stone under DD's billy club.

DD 158 often mis-wrapped with ink smears along the spine.

All Star Western 10 almost always has a blue dot on the back in the advertisement.

Marvel Two in One Annual 2 ink loss on the bottom front cover.

Cerebus 1 has poor printing with multiple issues.

I also noticed looking at copies of Batman 386 the other day that on the back cover under the hand is often a brown smudge. It looks like a stain but I am pretty sure it is not, as about five copies all had it in the same position.

Marvel Two in One Annual 2 also is notorious for grabber holes on the bottom of the FC.

Cap #241 - Printer creases