• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Notorious production flaws thread

61 posts in this topic

I don't want to take credit, or toot horn, but this thread should be a sticky, so I can reference it. So that I don't have to search the depths of the boards to locate it. All in favor...

Just bookmark this thread.

I don't want to take credit, or toot horn, but this thread should be a sticky, so I can reference it. So that I don't have to search the depths of the boards to locate it. All in favor...

Me too. (thumbs u

In 11 years, I've never bookmarked a page for whatever reason. Who knew?

detective 481. Too many to list.

New Mutants annual 2- the upper right corner in the yellow triangle always seems to be cut wrong, and typically has tiny chipping. I've seen a couple of 9.8's with this.

IIRC there are two other threads dealing with this same subject.

Yeah, I think one is in General.

ASM 122 - "M" shaped staple

What If #1, MTIO Ann #2, Star Wars Annual #1 big time gripper marks.

Spider-woman #1 often has the "R" in "Spectacular" cut off.

SpiW_1_WP.jpg

If it is there it's only because of a horrible Miswrap moving the "S" in "Spider-Woman" above the pricebox to the back cover, or the top of the Comics code logo is missing.

medium.jpg

DD 168, Amazing Adventures 11 and Marvel Team Up 1 have horizontal scratches on the FC.

Hulk 181 has a vertical scratch up the spine.

Recap:

ASM 300- right edge of front of book sometimes has a rough cut

Wolverine 35 (1988) Evil spine tears

ASM 361- odd staple "popping", and tiny bottom edge cut near the center of back of book

Hulk 377 3rd print: what looks to be like white scratches on back cover that are just poor printing.

New Teen Titans #44 I've seen have been miscut down the right side.

GSX #1 is famous for printer creases on the back cover, including interior pages. I see plenty of those.

DD #168 is another book that is almost always miswrapped.

Daredevil #7 is a clinical example of an issue riddled with production defects. Production creases, staple tears, Marvel chipping, ink transfer, miscuts, miswraps - it's almost impossible to find a copy without some sort of defect and some copies have all of those defects on one copy.

Weird War Tales 1 always has that damn printers crease at the right of the title.

TOS 39 Quotation marks are always cut or missing

True Life Secrets #23 rubs.

Batman 222 frequently has a green label qualified for detached staple.

Defenders 1 most copies have the wrinkle on the cover going from right hand edge thru the defenders logo.

Tales to astonish 78 a few books have the staples pushed in tight.

Cap #241 - Printer creases

ASM 121 gripper holes like on GSX 1.

X-Men 120 jagged cut and BRC FC chip out.

DD 158 also often has a red smudge on the tomb stone under DD's billy club.

DD 168 often mis-wrapped with ink smears along the spine.

All Star Western 10 almost always has a blue dot on the back in the advertisement.

Marvel Two in One Annual 2 ink loss on the bottom front cover.

Cerebus 1 has poor printing with multiple issues.

Marvel Two in One Annual 2 also is notorious for grabber holes on the bottom of the FC.

New Mutants annual 2- the upper right corner in the yellow triangle always seems to be cut wrong, and typically has tiny chipping. I've seen a couple of 9.8's with this.

What If #1, - big time gripper marks.

MTIO Ann #2, - big time gripper marks.

Star Wars Annual #1 big time gripper marks.

DD 168 - horizontal scratches on the FC.

Amazing Adventures 11 - horizontal scratches on the FC.

Marvel Team Up 1 - horizontal scratches on the FC.

ASM 122 - "M" shaped staple

Amazing Adventures 11 have those streaks/smearing on the cover, through the index finger of Beast's right hand

Hulk 181 has a vertical scratch up the spine.

Thought I'd take Blowie's summary and clean it up. Should make it easier to add new ones.

All Star Western

10 – Almost always has a blue dot on the back in the advertisement.

Amazing Adventures

11 –streaks/smearing on the cover, through the index finger of Beast's right hand, horizontal scratches on the FC.

Amazing Spider-Man

121 - Gripper holes like on GSX 1.

122 - "M" shaped staple

300 – Right edge of front of book sometimes has a rough cut

361 – Odd staple "popping", and tiny bottom edge cut near the center of back of book

Batman

222 – Frequently has a green label qualified for detached staple.

Captain America

241 – Printer creases

Cerebus

1 – Has poor printing with multiple issues.

Daredevil

7 - Is a clinical example of an issue riddled with production defects. Production creases, staple tears, Marvel chipping, ink transfer, miscuts, miswraps - it's almost impossible to find a copy without some sort of defect and some copies have all of those defects on one copy.

158 - Often has a red smudge on the tomb stone under DD's billy club.

168 - Is another book that is almost always miswrapped, often mis-wrapped with ink smears along the spine, horizontal scratches on the FC.

Defenders

1 - Most copies have the wrinkle on the cover going from right hand edge thru the defenders logo.

Giant Sized X-Men

1 – is famous for printer creases on the back cover, including interior pages. I see plenty of those.

Hulk:

181 – Has a vertical scratch up the spine.

377 3rd print – what looks to be like white scratches on back cover that are just poor printing.

Marvel Team Up

1 - Horizontal scratches on the FC.

Marvel Two in One Annual

2 – Ink loss on the bottom front cover, notorious for grabber holes on the bottom of the FC.

New Mutants annual

2 - The upper right corner in the yellow triangle always seems to be cut wrong, and typically has tiny chipping. I've seen a couple of 9.8's with this.

New Teen Titans

44 – I've seen have been miscut down the right side.

Star Wars Annual

1 – Big time gripper marks.

Tales of Suspense

39 – Quotation marks are always cut or missing

Tales to astonish

78 – A few books have the staples pushed in tight.

True Life Secrets

23 – Rubs.

Weird War Tales

1 – Always has that damn printers crease at the right of the title.

What If

1 - Big time gripper marks.

Wolverine (1998)

35 – Evil spine tears

X-Men

120 – Jagged cut and BRC FC chip out

Strange Tales 178 almost always has a printers crease FC @ top right (similar to the Defenders 1)

Avengers Annual 10 is very often miscut so that the extreme right edge art can't be seen

Don't know if those count...

Oh, and X Factor 6's notorious FC right top corner chip

In 11 years, I've never bookmarked a page for whatever reason. Who knew?

If you want to know why certain defects are on a book, just ask me. I have almost 20 years of printing experience.

9/10 times they are there cause the press operator is saving bad books, have to remember, these comics being printed at the time were not meant to be saved and collected like they are now.