• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Notorious production flaws thread

61 posts in this topic

Almost every single ASM 361 I have, have terrible " gripper" rips on the bottom edge of the front cover. Some have more than one, most of them always have one right below Carnage's right knee. The only copies ive seen that have none of these tears are mistcut or miswrapped copies.

A couple that come to mind:

Journey Into Mystery 86-printer's crease from the right edge into the word THOR is pretty common.

Amazing Spiderman 33-Marvel chipping is somewhat common on this issue, which is a little weird since it's a book from 1966 rather than the more common pre 1965 issues with chipping defects.

Added some Marvel spotlight issues and incorporated other things mentioned in the thread.

All Star Western

10 – Almost always has a blue dot on the back in the advertisement.

Amazing Adventures

11 –streaks/smearing on the cover, through the index finger of Beast's right hand, horizontal scratches on the FC.

Amazing Spider-Man

33-Marvel chipping is somewhat common on this issue, which is a little weird since it's a book from 1966 rather than the more common pre 1965 issues with chipping defects.

121 - Gripper holes like on GSX 1.

122 - "M" shaped staple

300 – Right edge of front of book sometimes has a rough cut

361 – Odd staple "popping", and tiny bottom edge cut near the center of back of book

Avengers Annual 10

very often miscut so that the extreme right edge art can't be seen

Batman

222 – Frequently has a green label qualified for detached staple.

Captain America

241 – Printer creases

Cerebus

1 – Has poor printing with multiple issues.

Daredevil

7 - Is a clinical example of an issue riddled with production defects. Production creases, staple tears, Marvel chipping, ink transfer, miscuts, miswraps - it's almost impossible to find a copy without some sort of defect and some copies have all of those defects on one copy.

158 - Often has a red smudge on the tomb stone under DD's billy club.

168 - Is another book that is almost always miswrapped, often mis-wrapped with ink smears along the spine, horizontal scratches on the FC.

Defenders

1 - Most copies have the wrinkle on the cover going from right hand edge thru the defenders logo.

Giant Sized X-Men

1 – is famous for printer creases on the back cover, including interior pages. I see plenty of those.

Hulk:

181 – Has a vertical scratch up the spine.

377 3rd print – what looks to be like white scratches on back cover that are just poor printing.

Journey into mystery

printer's crease from the right edge into the word THOR is pretty common.

Marvel Team Up

1 - Horizontal scratches on the FC.

Marvel Spotlight

2 - ink rubbed away/paper damage in staple area on front cover

5 - grippers holes

Marvel Two in One Annual

2 – Ink loss on the bottom front cover, notorious for grabber holes on the bottom of the FC.

New Mutants annual

2 - The upper right corner in the yellow triangle always seems to be cut wrong, and typically has tiny chipping. I've seen a couple of 9.8's with this.

New Teen Titans

44 – I've seen have been miscut down the right side.

Star Wars Annual

1 – Big time gripper marks.

Strange Tales 178

almost always has a printers crease FC @ top right

Tales of Suspense

39 – Quotation marks are always cut or missing

Tales to astonish

78 – A few books have the staples pushed in tight.

True Life Secrets

23 – Rubs.

Weird War Tales

1 – Always has that damn printers crease at the right of the title.

What If

1 - Big time gripper marks.

Wolverine (1998)

35 – Evil spine tears

X-Factor 6

notorious FC right top corner chip/ similar issues to New Mutant Annual 2

X-Men

120 – Jagged cut and BRC FC chip out

Lots of Ms. Marvels have a printer crease on either the front or back cover, I always struggle with finding ones without them. I wouldn't say it's on every one, but it's on a majority of the ones I've seen (and I have a lot of them).

True Life Secrets #23 rubs.

Hey, you're right. I hadn't noticed that other copies have exactly the same marks as mine.

For reference, the 'scrape' in the f in Life in the title, across 'TRUE' on the diagonal black bar and the issue number, and above the 'F' in fast track at the bottom.

True_Life_secrets_23_zpsb5cb5cda.jpg

Weird War Tales 1 always has that damn printers crease at the right of the title. :pullhair:

004-1.jpg

It's called wrinkle lines. When the large heavy roll paper was installed then was being rolled into the printer, the cylinders pressed the paper while printing. That was how the paper got wrinkled. The paper was so thin and cheaper. I believed all paper rolls were not aligned properly like you drive the car that won't stay straight so the wheels need to be aligned.

ASM 361- Terrible centering.

Because when they printed the covers, it was folding with a bad fold. That big chuck of steel that spits books out is called a Folder. The press operator probably said "Save'em, those are still good" because rather than throwing them away and making his numbers look bad, He wanted to save them. Then worked on fixing the problem later which is why some of them are centered.

What about X-Force 1?

I unbagged four of them the other day and they all had a non color breaking crease going verticaly through the front or back.

Looks like the crease of the poly bag did it.

Anyone know how CGC would treat? Would it be considered a production defect and not affect grade?

What about X-Force 1?

I unbagged four of them the other day and they all had a non color breaking crease going verticaly through the front or back.

Anyone know how CGC would treat? Would it be considered a production defect and not affect grade?

Absolutely not.

This is a common storage related defect on polybagged comics.

Luckily, pressing is here to save the day!

What about X-Force 1?

Absolutely not.

This is a common storage related defect on polybagged comics.

Luckily, pressing is here to save the day!

CGC is usually harsh on these type of NCBC's. Any book that was poly bagged has some damage due to the way they sealed the bag.