• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay seller: nearmintcollectibles???

20 posts in this topic

http://myworld.ebay.com/nearmintcollectibles/&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754

Has anyone dealt with this seller? I have been trying to get a graded ST #24 to complete my collection and he originally listed a 9.6 at $200 with best offer. I submitted a more than reasonable offer which was ignored and declined. After the book didn't sell, I messaged him:

"Hi, I am very interested in this book, but am concerned that it is overpriced. I'd be willing to spend up to $XXX for it, but based on recent sales (a cgc 9.4 sold a couple months ago on HA for only $40) I can't see this book commanding the listed price. Any insight or dialog is appreciated. Thanks, Gary"

Ignored.

So, the book has been up for months, relisted again and again. But now, he has it at a starting bid I was willing to bid on, and when I went to bid, I found out he has blocked me.

I don't want to give this guy my business (and I guess I can't now) but I need to complete my collection!

Anyway, thought I'd share the experience.

Based on you using the 9.4 copy that sold for $40.00 your offer was nowhere close to $200.00. He owns the book and can ask whatever he wants for it. I am also assuming he blocked you based on your first offer, your correspondence and your using a ridiculously low sale to base your offer on.

I do not see any foul committed on his part.

But definitely an overreaction. lol

He can try to sell for whatever he wants to whoever he wants but being a won't help him in anyway. Just avoid the guy, as I will be now, and move on.

The initial offer on your part may have been low but I don't quite get why he would have blocked you. After all... there is a counter offer option. (shrug)

He could have it set to automatically decline if it is under a certain amount.

Well, I don't see any "foul" on either side. Dealers need to have thicker skins and with almost 4000 feedback and an eBay store, nearmintcollectibles certainly counts as a dealer.

The correspondence wasn't rude and since the link doesn't show the book I don't know what might constitute ridiculous A lot of sellers will use the opening bid as their "reserve" price in auctions, so if the opening bid is now the former offer :whatev:

I've closed countless deals (off eBay and on) where the initial offer was a low. The only "ridiculous" offers I've ever blocked someone over is the jokers that like to make offers of a nickel.

On the other hand, buyers need to be aware that direct correspondence that ends up torquing off the seller may result in a lost opportunity to buy the book.

Note to OP: I don't see anything in the sellers store that is CGC 9.6 that you should not be able to find somewhere else.

I offered him $150. Is $50 off a $200 asking price considered a lowball offer?

Most would think that reasonable, a lot would take the offer, very few would be so torqued as to block the person. . Just go buy it from someone else. Again, there's nothing in his store CGC graded 9.6 that is rare.

If you've had trouble finding it or really want this particular copy, just get a friend or neighbor with an eBay account to buy it for you. Or open an eBay account in your wife's name.

In this case I have to agree, the seller overreacted. As the first post DOESN'T say what the actual offer was, the comments right afterward, I think, assumed you'd offered $40, which would have been insulting. Now that you have established the offer was for $150, I have to side with the buyer. Maybe the seller will see this post here and reconsider, but now only at $75. This is what happens when you overreact.

I think $150 is a solid offer with room for both sides to haggle some. As for being blocked maybe you came on to strong with your "I think this is what your book is worth" post and he read it as a customer who is likely to not be satisfied with any transaction and leave a negative feedback.

Overall though a lot of comic sellers on ebay are like this. You make a reasonable offer and it gets ignored (which is fine as they owe you nothing). Then months later the item is posted for well below your initial offer when you have already found it elsewhere.

I recently offered to pay the reserve price for a book that went well below it (by 40% or so) because I wanted the book. The seller then stated he would only accept money order. I offered paypal or if he posted the book here I would send a MO, he declined. My scam radar started to go off slightly so I ended up not doing the off-ebay deal. I had spent the last couple of months looking for the book in around that grade, but it just wasn't worth the risk.

I think $150 is a solid offer with room for both sides to haggle some. As for being blocked maybe you came on to strong with your "I think this is what your book is worth" post and he read it as a customer who is likely to not be satisfied with any transaction and leave a negative feedback.

Overall though a lot of comic sellers on ebay are like this. You make a reasonable offer and it gets ignored (which is fine as they owe you nothing). Then months later the item is posted for well below your initial offer when you have already found it elsewhere.

I recently offered to pay the reserve price for a book that went well below it (by 40% or so) because I wanted the book. The seller then stated he would only accept money order. I offered paypal or if he posted the book here I would send a MO, he declined. My scam radar started to go off slightly so I ended up not doing the off-ebay deal. I had spent the last couple of months looking for the book in around that grade, but it just wasn't worth the risk.

I hear you. Ebay is a battleground these days. It makes it harder, IMO, for sellers now, since ebay takes 10%

I offered him $150. Is $50 off a $200 asking price considered a lowball offer? It's funny, now he has it listed for $75. Should have taken the offer, dude.

What is the actual value of the book? If $150 is in line with the value then he could have been more receptive. If the book is truly a $200.00 book you asked for 25% off one item. Most dealers at shows will go 10-15-20% off depending on how much you spend with them. So 25% is a little on the high side.

As I stated earlier, it is his book and he can do whatever he wants with it. He can also act any way he chooses. Doesn't make it right, but it is within HIS rights.

Another questions to ask is "Have you ever made offers to this seller before"?

I offered him $150. Is $50 off a $200 asking price considered a lowball offer? It's funny, now he has it listed for $75. Should have taken the offer, dude.

What is the actual value of the book? If $150 is in line with the value then he could have been more receptive. If the book is truly a $200.00 book you asked for 25% off one item. Most dealers at shows will go 10-15-20% off depending on how much you spend with them. So 25% is a little on the high side.

As I stated earlier, it is his book and he can do whatever he wants with it. He can also act any way he chooses. Doesn't make it right, but it is within HIS rights.

Last GPA for a 9.6 was $36 but that was 2010. Not a lot of sales, it's not a key book, not much demand.

The Heritage Sale is the best, most recent Comp....at $39..even though it's a 9.4.

It's not like there are dozens of these selling every week. Not many people give a damn about it.

His $200 asking price for a 9.6 matched the sales price of a pedigree 9.8 copy of the same book.

25% off that asking price was 400% over the last 9.4 sale. That sounds like an incredibly fair offer for a book like this, with very low demand.

The $150 offer seems even more fair given that the seller has now started the book at $75 with no reserve.

For $150 he should have thrown in a free raw copy, free shipping, a muffin basket, and a permanent spot in his "Buyer's Wall Of Fame".

I only block bidders who jerk me around on buying something or offer such crazy lowballs that I get concerned that they will cause problems should they win an auction. Oh, and I block bidders who say things like "I don't know why you're asking $12 for this turd, but I'd give ya $9!" (True story).

I think the guy overreacted a bit in blocking you.

So, the book has been up for months, relisted again and again. But now, he has it at a starting bid I was willing to bid on, and when I went to bid, I found out he has blocked me.

I don't want to give this guy my business (and I guess I can't now) but I need to complete my collection!

Get someone you know with an account to bid/buy and call it a day. If you don't have close friends/family with eBay try and get a boardie to help you out and bid by proxy.

Even if you can't find one close to you and have to pay to have it shipped to after the buyer sends it you're still paying way less than your original $150 offer and you complete your collection (thumbs u

Last GPA for a 9.6 was $36 but that was 2010. Not a lot of sales, it's not a key book, not much demand.

The Heritage Sale is the best, most recent Comp....at $39..even though it's a 9.4.

It's not like there are dozens of these selling every week. Not many people give a damn about it.

His $200 asking price for a 9.6 matched the sales price of a pedigree 9.8 copy of the same book.

25% off that asking price was 400% over the last 9.4 sale. That sounds like an incredibly fair offer for a book like this, with very low demand.

The $150 offer seems even more fair given that the seller has now started the book at $75 with no reserve.

For $150 he should have thrown in a free raw copy, free shipping, a muffin basket, and a permanent spot in his "Buyer's Wall Of Fame".

Based on this the seller should have taken the money...and ran.

He still can block whoever he chooses.

Based on you using the 9.4 copy that sold for $40.00 your offer was nowhere close to $200.00. He owns the book and can ask whatever he wants for it. I am also assuming he blocked you based on your first offer, your correspondence and your using a ridiculously low sale to base your offer on.

I do not see any foul committed on his part.

++++1

Based on this the seller should have taken the money...and ran.

He still can block whoever he chooses.

lol That's true, he can.

Seems the world's worst business plan, but it's his prerogative.