• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

How does a "first appearance" outside of comic book continuity actually constitute as a "first appearance"?

I'm curious to know, because I sincerely have never understood the line of thinking that an advertisement or any other sort of visual promotion designed to increase awareness and sales before a product is actually released is actually the "first appearance".

Yes - I suppose taken to a completely literal sense, it could be a first appearance - however, wouldn't the original sketch by the artist be the first true "appearance"? How about the graphic designer's page layout proofs before the catalog is published? Those would be a "first appearance" as well - since by this literal mode of thinking - the first time someone *sees* the character it's the *first appearance*. Or is there some imaginary line between when the appearance is published in something for mass consumption and when it is published in continuity with the story?

This is a discussion I've had with people for almost 20 years, and outside of personal collecting preference, I've never heard of any concrete reasoning to why a Previews or advertisement is a legitimate "first appearance". The "literal" use of the term is also pretty useless since it can be disproven with so many other examples that come prior to the one being cited.

Yes, it might be beating a dead horse, but I suppose that is going to happen while people are still actually paying hard cash for old Previews catalogs.

:golfclap:

I am sensing a weakness beginning in the Preacher market...I for one decided to lower all my prices on preacher stuff....anyone one else see this?

Lotsa single issues in the 1st 10 going for lower....related specials going unsold

Cats and Dogs....you know

How does a "first appearance" outside of comic book continuity actually constitute as a "first appearance"?

I'm curious to know, because I sincerely have never understood the line of thinking that an advertisement or any other sort of visual promotion designed to increase awareness and sales before a product is actually released is actually the "first appearance".

Yes - I suppose taken to a completely literal sense, it could be a first appearance - however, wouldn't the original sketch by the artist be the first true "appearance"? How about the graphic designer's page layout proofs before the catalog is published? Those would be a "first appearance" as well - since by this literal mode of thinking - the first time someone *sees* the character it's the *first appearance*. Or is there some imaginary line between when the appearance is published in something for mass consumption and when it is published in continuity with the story?

This is a discussion I've had with people for almost 20 years, and outside of personal collecting preference, I've never heard of any concrete reasoning to why a Previews or advertisement is a legitimate "first appearance". The "literal" use of the term is also pretty useless since it can be disproven with so many other examples that come prior to the one being cited.

Yes, it might be beating a dead horse, but I suppose that is going to happen while people are still actually paying hard cash for old Previews catalogs.

tumblr_mtq7clXDuL1rikwsko1_400.gif

I am sensing a weakness beginning in the Preacher market...I for one decided to lower all my prices on preacher stuff....anyone one else see this?

Lotsa single issues in the 1st 10 going for lower....related specials going unsold

Cats and Dogs....you know

There's been a couple of reasonable farts about an AMC show that might be happening and pilot season proper for this year starts in January.

The weakness you are seeing is probably due to plenty of people wanting to quick flip (cats and dogs right?) and a bit of over saturation creeping in. Thing is I can't see the specials or anything other than 1,2 & 13 potentially being of much interest outside of a full run when speculating this early (or even at all). Depends what you originally paid... to some people the market looks like a winner right now.

I hate myself for posting this...

wiggles-o.gif

Either sit until Jan or make like a bandit.

Wierd seeing all this interest in Preacher. Even with the AMC hype, this has been talk of a tv series for those of us that have collected it since the original publication (20 year old book now), I have always been willing to lay down 125-150 for a high grade 1 as far back as about a year before the series ended. As someone who has heard this tv talk back before the series was even over, my money says doesn't get made. Won't sell mine either way, huge fan of the books no matter where it goes. Classic work.

I think it will be made cause it was bought from HBO for a sizable amount...money on the line...

I think something weird happened...someone scooped up all the cheap copies quickly...making spec prices go through the roof...plus christmas, plus this comic already had some value...

well all right, I mean I guess that it would have to be a raw 9.8. Of course once it gets back from cgc, the ebay protections would be gone...I guess you'd have to be able to convince someone you knew what a 9.8 would be....

I don't really understand the bidding as it started at 295 and had 1 bid which put it at 385...

how does that work?

well all right, I mean I guess that it would have to be a raw 9.8. Of course once it gets back from cgc, the ebay protections would be gone...I guess you'd have to be able to convince someone you knew what a 9.8 would be....

I don't really understand the bidding as it started at 295 and had 1 bid which put it at 385...

how does that work?

Someone hit the BIN.

well let see news hit about last week...took someone 4-5 days to get the cheap ones then a couple of days to cgc, fastrack and back another week? So in about a week there will be a small flood of cgced preachers?...

No one likes a flood...

Thanks Pete

Cant wait for this hype to die down so I can go back to hoarding Preacher #1's again.

You guys do realize there is a high probability that all this hype will go to waste if the TV show is a no go which many people are already assuming.

Cant wait for this hype to die down so I can go back to hoarding Preacher #1's again.

You guys do realize there is a high probability that all this hype will go to waste if the TV show is a no go which many people are already assuming.

+1

Everything will settle down, prices will drop, same thing just happened with Clone and Think Tank...They were up high, and dropped back Down...Todd also dropped, but still remains at a decent price...

Isn't comparing a 20 year old proven property to any of these limited run Hot New Image #1s like comparing apples to oranges? Preacher is a highly regarded series independent of movie hype.