• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

Isn't comparing a 20 year old proven property to any of these limited run Hot New Image #1s like comparing apples to oranges? Preacher is a highly regarded series independent of movie hype.

True but prices were easy to pay two weeks ago. The show announcement has clearly impacted pricing on this book. I have a full run I bought on the boards less than a year ago for $125 shipped.

It's highly regarded but everyone kind of either had their copies already that wanted them or put off buying them because they weren't expensive.

Now that they're hot price wise you've got people who loved the series twenty years ago climbing all over each other to buy em plus the speculators who are again trying to get in on the next Walking Dead. With 9.8s selling at $650 already there's not much more growth needed to hit Walking Dead status.

Of course Walking Dead 1s were selling for $650 without a show announcement.

I think this just shows how much of a fan base there is for the title. We're prices impacted by a TV announcement? Of course but it impacted so fast and so much that for me it shows how many fans there are of the book.

I think this just shows how much of a fan base there is for the title. We're prices impacted by a TV announcement? Of course but it impacted so fast and so much that for me it shows how many fans there are of the book.

Yes, sometimes these kinds of situations "remind" people about an older property. For instance, I sold my Preacher hardcovers earlier this year because they were just sitting there taking up room. Now, all of a sudden, I really want to reread the series and am searching for a krappy TPB set. I am sheep.

Check all you like!! lol

I didn't even start reading or buying WD until after the show announcement. The "couch" pic that circulates around here was during casting and I had a PM where I offered it for $250 with no takers. Feel free to check but I can assure you it's a waste of time.

I think WD has created a sense of urgency for jumping on new TV announcements. It's a success story and people are looking for more success stories.

this right here. doubly so because people got burned a lot last spring. There's a lot of speculative money sloshing around, and no one wants to miss out.

I think WD has created a sense of urgency for jumping on new TV announcements. It's a success story and people are looking for more success stories.

this right here. doubly so because people got burned a lot last spring. There's a lot of speculative money sloshing around, and no one wants to miss out.

It's going to be a real sleeper as far as the media news goes if it does go to pilot... the window is closing on it for this year though.

If it hits here by Jan then it will go bananas http://www.deadline.com/2013-amc-pilots/ .... if it doesn't then you can reset your expectations.

Edit: I have no idea if networks even order pilots out side of the normal months.

Isn't comparing a 20 year old proven property to any of these limited run Hot New Image #1s like comparing apples to oranges? Preacher is a highly regarded series independent of movie hype.

:sumo: More like dinosaurs to amoeba :sumo:

Yes, sometimes these kinds of situations "remind" people about an older property. For instance, I sold my Preacher hardcovers earlier this year because they were just sitting there taking up room. Now, all of a sudden, I really want to reread the series and am searching for a krappy TPB set. I am sheep.

Absolutely. I am sheep as well. All this hype reminded me of how awesome the books were - and I wanted to get a set on the off chance that the show gets picked up and goes on a 3-4 year tear and the books skyrocket. I bought a run of 1-50 for $250 and figured that was inexpensive insurance against having to buy them during a period of crazy popularity if they get a long-standing show deal.

Preacher #1 has a print run of 28,000, I believe - and even though it was in the middle of the crazy 90's massive print runs - that's a smaller number. And even though we were bagging and boarding in the 90's, we didn't take care of books like we do now - so with the black cover, crappy paper and spine feathering, I think 9.8s are going to be a real gem to find.

At least speculators and people jumping on the bandwagon still don't stop with cheap offers. I threw mine up on ebay with an admittedly high BIN - I don't really care if I sell it. I love the book. But I put it up anyway. I got an offer of $50. :facepalm: Decline. Second offer of $100. Decline with a note - "sorry. A little off of my asking price." Third offer - $150. :banana:

And I got a second offer of $100 from another buyer. :ohnoez:

At least speculators and people jumping on the bandwagon still don't stop with cheap offers. I threw mine up on ebay with an admittedly high BIN - I don't really care if I sell it. I love the book. But I put it up anyway. I got an offer of $50. :facepalm: Decline. Second offer of $100. Decline with a note - "sorry. A little off of my asking price." Third offer - $150. :banana:

Just add them to your blocked bidders list, you will never have to deal with them again :)

Just set your "Buy It Now" price at a certain threshold so all those offers are automatically declined, they'll get the hint.

Do not decline.

Let those offers sit there until they expire.

When other potential buyers see "Offers" being considered, they may just get antsy enough to offer more, or simply hit the BIN

That was my exact thinking! :idea:

I countered the last one with $50 less than my BIN and he hasn't declined it so let's hope someone out there gets antsy. :ohnoez: