• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

Or he simply knows how to grade.

There are numerous boardies who I'd buy raw 9.8s from all day long :shrug:

Do I really have to post :jokealert: for you? Et tu Brute?

Was responding to Illustrious who can't seem to grasp the concept that some people know what a raw 9.8 book looks like :makepoint:

Was responding to Illustrious who can't seem to grasp the concept that some people know what a raw 9.8 book looks like :makepoint:

In 2010 I did. Now, it is a crapshoot.

I grasp the concept just fine, I was just making another joke piling on to Divad like others were initially. I guess I should have posted this afterward: :baiting:

If I didn't trust his grading I wouldn't have bought a high grade raw Preacher #2 him yesterday. (thumbs u

In 2010 I did. Now, it is a crapshoot.

The good ol' days? lol

Seriously. When Caffrey did mods and Litch was the modern finisher, I had 60 or 70 books in a row from 1980 forward with no unexpected 9.6s. Now, my record is woefully blemished. It's barely better than a coin flip. :cry:

How does a "first appearance" outside of comic book continuity actually constitute as a "first appearance"?

I'm curious to know, because I sincerely have never understood the line of thinking that an advertisement or any other sort of visual promotion designed to increase awareness and sales before a product is actually released is actually the "first appearance".

Yes - I suppose taken to a completely literal sense, it could be a first appearance - however, wouldn't the original sketch by the artist be the first true "appearance"? How about the graphic designer's page layout proofs before the catalog is published? Those would be a "first appearance" as well - since by this literal mode of thinking - the first time someone *sees* the character it's the *first appearance*. Or is there some imaginary line between when the appearance is published in something for mass consumption and when it is published in continuity with the story?

This is a discussion I've had with people for almost 20 years, and outside of personal collecting preference, I've never heard of any concrete reasoning to why a Previews or advertisement is a legitimate "first appearance". The "literal" use of the term is also pretty useless since it can be disproven with so many other examples that come prior to the one being cited.

Yes, it might be beating a dead horse, but I suppose that is going to happen while people are still actually paying hard cash for old Previews catalogs.

:grin: It's always going to be in the eye of the beholder. Preacher #1 regular edition contains the full published for purchase appearance of these characters and the full story kicks off the series. You cannot take anything away from that :sumo:

The Preview copy well has that gorgeous cover on it, contains the first printed and distributed item in a comic book format that contains these characters. One thing that I love about the Preview copy is that it presents SO well. I enjoy not having that barcode there and in a slab the back cover of it is sweet as well :cloud9:

See what I mean? :foryou:

pp-1_1.jpg

pp-1_2.jpg

- b :o unty

Just a random thought here - I've been scanning my Preachers as I grade, bag and board them and have noticed (I'm up to issue 15) that a lot of them are black back covers (all except 5 of them so far). Also, Fabry's painted covers hide a lot of imperfections that are going to be tough to see on scans - for people who buy online.

With this book gaining popularity, I'm wondering if this is going to become an issue? Anyone run into overgrading yet?

And, for the record - I bought a nice run from Paperheart who was very conservative with his grading. Most of the books are grading out at 9.6 or better - almost all so far have flawless back covers - which made me think about it. I wouldn't want anyone to think his grading was the subject of this post.

I've been piecing together a 9.8 run slowly over the last few years. The most comparable series for me as far as grading and finding high grades is Sandman. I didn't find Y all that difficult.

Short answer, yes. I can see anyone claiming 9.8 may eat their words later. (like I have with Sandman. lol )

Just a random thought here - I've been scanning my Preachers as I grade, bag and board them and have noticed (I'm up to issue 15) that a lot of them are black back covers (all except 5 of them so far). Also, Fabry's painted covers hide a lot of imperfections that are going to be tough to see on scans - for people who buy online.

With this book gaining popularity, I'm wondering if this is going to become an issue? Anyone run into overgrading yet?

And, for the record - I bought a nice run from Paperheart who was very conservative with his grading. Most of the books are grading out at 9.6 or better - almost all so far have flawless back covers - which made me think about it. I wouldn't want anyone to think his grading was the subject of this post.

Can I get the dr balls stamp of awesomeness as recompense for selling that run as nm-?