• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

You did?

Yes, I just sell comics now.

And you're complaining about the disgusting run-up in price on a book you bought for $25 and can currently sell for 10X your initial investment?

On my planet, our species view it as good thing when we are able to charge more for popular back issues. Some of us even feel good about making a profit.

I would like a Preacher 1 CGC 9.8 but there really expensive now

I have x10 copies.

Paid $15-25 bucks a piece the last two years via eBay auctions before this disgraceful run-up has come.

What sucks this is all hype with no TV show ever coming.

I've been buying these for years just because they were so damn cheap. I don't even know how many I have. I guess I should probably dig them out right about now. Based on print run and long term popularity of the series, it should never have been below $30-40 for a nice copy.

I also agree that this show won't get made and the price will drop again.

He didn't say they were nice copies . . . :gossip:

A few years ago I bought the entire run, to read of course. I did the same for Y, the Last Man - both very entertaining series.

I was talking about my own experience. I bought plenty of nice copies in that price range, which was underpriced IMO. Now they're overpriced because of the TV hype.

Divad,

They are all 9.8 copies.

Pics?

You did?

And you're complaining about the disgusting run-up in price on a book you bought for $25 and can currently sell for 10X your initial investment?

On my planet, our species view it as good thing when we are able to charge more for popular back issues. Some of us even feel good about making a profit.

:signfunny:

I dont understand why people are so obsessed with absolute vertigo, is just a preview as far as I'm concerned. Preacher #1 is the comic to get.

Chews preview in TWD is not the one that sells for $$$, Chew #1 is.

TWD preview issue, whichever one it is, is not the one that sells for $$$, TWD #1 is.

same pattern, to me absolute vertigo is worth a pile of cagada.

Obviously the #1s are valuable.

But TWD 61 held value for a very long time. I know it's a $35 book now (still not bad), but it was pulling $75 easy. That's nothing to scoff at.

Preacher Preview is a more relevant discussion than the Absolute. The primary issue with the Absolute is how common it is. But frankly, I don't see a whole lot of people clamoring for the Absolute.

Pat

I dont understand why people are so obsessed with absolute vertigo, is just a preview as far as I'm concerned. Preacher #1 is the comic to get.

Chews preview in TWD is not the one that sells for $$$, Chew #1 is.

TWD preview issue, whichever one it is, is not the one that sells for $$$, TWD #1 is.

same pattern, to me absolute vertigo is worth a pile of cagada.

Obviously the #1s are valuable.

But TWD 61 held value for a very long time. I know it's a $35 book now (still not bad), but it was pulling $75 easy. That's nothing to scoff at.

Preacher Preview is a more relevant discussion than the Absolute. The primary issue with the Absolute is how common it is. But frankly, I don't see a whole lot of people clamoring for the Absolute.

Pat

Diamond preorders:

Absolute Vertigo, January 1995 - 29,100

Preacher #1, February 1995 - 28,200

I am not sure when Absolute Veritgo ended up coming out (DC says publish date of Dec 1995, as opposed to April 1995 for Preacher #1 ) - I can't quite remember exactly myself, but AV I think had the same pages in it as the Preacher Preview handout.

FWIW - this guy claims people said there were approximately 8,000 comic shops in the heydey of the 90s. I'm inclined to believe him. In my town of 60,000 people - there were four comic shops, all making money. There were 6 other shops around the state that I knew of. Right now, in 2013 - there is one active comic book shop in the entire state of Montana.

I'd also surmise that most shops got at least two Previews copies (with some getting many more, depending on thier pull customers) - and they were relatively inexpensive back then (I think $1 or $2 per). The Preacher Preview handout could have been a print run of 16,000-20,000 legitimately - of that, how many survived is unknown. That is admittedly a guess, and we may never know what the real numbers are.

I am not sure when Absolute Veritgo ended up coming out (DC says publish date of Dec 1995, as opposed to April 1995 for Preacher #1 ) - I can't quite remember exactly myself, but AV I think had the same pages in it as the Preacher Preview handout.

The publication date for Absolute Vertigo was "Winter 1995" - it's even written right there on the cover. Which means early 1995 (probably January), not December.

I'd also surmise that most shops got at least two Previews copies (with some getting many more, depending on thier pull customers) - and they were relatively inexpensive back then (I think $1 or $2 per). The Preacher Preview handout could have been a print run of 16,000-20,000 legitimately - of that, how many survived is unknown. That is admittedly a guess, and we may never know what the real numbers are.

That may be, but there's no way even 10% of those copies have survived to this day - the number of sales, the copies that are listed publicly, just doesn't support there being a whole lot of these out there ...

The publication date for Absolute Vertigo was "Winter 1995" - it's even written right there on the cover. Which means early 1995 (probably January), not December.

That may be, but there's no way even 10% of those copies have survived to this day - the number of sales, the copies that are listed publicly, just doesn't support there being a whole lot of these out there ...

DC comics database attributes Vertigo as a December publish date. It was on the orders in January, so I'm not sure when it was released. How far out were Previews orders back then? 60-90 days? I don't believe you could order something in January out of Previews and have it in January - there was some wait time.

I am more apt to believe DC attributing it to a December date than my own memory, though. AV could have been delayed for some reason. I don't know what the discrepancy would be for ordering it in January and getting it late in the year.

And I definitely agree - a very small amount of them probably survived.

DC comics database attributes Vertigo as a December publish date. It was on the orders in January, so I'm not sure when it was released. How far out were Previews orders back then? 60-90 days? I don't believe you could order something in January out of Previews and have it in January - there was some wait time.

I am more apt to believe DC attributing it to a December date than my own memory, though. AV could have been delayed for some reason. I don't know what the discrepancy would be for ordering it in January and getting it late in the year.

The DC comics database isn't actually using data provided by DC, you know - it's a fan site with data compiled from various sources all over the web.

Preacher #1 came out in April 95 - Absolute Vertigo was a preview of books that were due to be released in 1995, ergo the "winter 1995" publication date and a release date sometime during the first 3 months of 1995. There wouldn't have been much point in putting out a preview book after the real book had actually been released.

You did?

Rule No. 1 - Never buy comics from someone who's paying their mortgage doing it . . . :eek:

Don't have a mortgage, but what you just said might be the most ignorant thing I have ever read on the CGC boards.

So dealers we all know and love that have families and a house that their comic book business provides for you shouldn't buy from them. : huh? :facepalm:

Rule #1 for DIVAD....Watch how he picks his fantasy football team in Brian's league so you are not doomed to repeat it. Thank you for two easy wins this year. (thumbs u

You did?

Yes I for one do not think it is good for a book to jump this quick for no reason.

I do not think Preacher is coming to AMC anytime soon, so all of this is an unjustified run-up on a $25-40 dollar book.

I am in no rush to send my copies to CGC to make a little money off of them. I have a couple books I buy multiplies of to save for later. What they are selling for now is not incentive enough to me to get them graded.

I am hoping the hype dies down soon without any real justification of a TV series is my point.

If Preacher actually started filming then I will get excited, so until then this all just internet jibber jabber.

Your logic will have no effect. He is immune.

It is not always all about the money. :baiting:

Thanks for that bum Marlon Byrd BTW. :facepalm:

You did?

Yes I for one do not think it is good for a book to jump this quick for no reason.

I do not think Preacher is coming to AMC anytime soon, so all of this is an unjustified run-up on a $25-40 dollar book.

I am in no rush to send my copies to CGC to make a little money off of them. I have a couple books I buy multiplies of to save for later. What they are selling for now is not incentive enough to me to get them graded.

I am hoping the hype dies down soon without any real justification of a TV series is my point.

If Preacher actually started filming then I will get excited, so until then this all just internet jibber jabber.

So, just out of curiosity, and I mean NO disrespect by this... what exactly are you waiting for when you buy multiple copies of a book, it gets hot, and you don't want to sell them?

You did?

So, just out of curiosity, and I mean NO disrespect by this... what exactly are you waiting for when you buy multiple copies of a book, it gets hot, and you don't want to sell them?

Just love the book in HG.

Big time Preacher fan. (thumbs u

I do have two other books I have now 20+ copies of, and yes those are for resale in the future. Once the inevitable movie is made I will be selling those.